4th Generation 2024 Toyota Tacoma Thread

Motor

Expert
Reactions

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
I really hope the 4runner looks like this, just with a hatch. It looks great. If you cover up the bed on this it looks like a newer 4Runner

Will1991

Reactions
Interior shots:

2024-tacoma-interior.jpg

2024-tacoma-interior.jpg

Source: https://www.motor1.com/photo/7125156/2024-tacoma-interior/

b.ba

Fan
Reactions
Per Carmaker1:

"And to keep a very tight narrative here, I must reiterate the Tacoma engine lineup to my knowledge. I really don't want anything being taken out of context and misinterpreted elsewhere.

2TR-FE 2.7L - Base
2GR-FKS 3.5L - Optional (Single source claims std 6MT)
A25A-FXS 2.5L - Optional on Mid-high level (TRD, etc)
T24A-FTS 2.4T HM (TRD Pro ONLY)

I do not know nor will my questions be answered, in terms of whether 2.4T will be accompanied by A25A-FXS 2.5 or a GR V6 in either new 2GR or 1GR-FE continuation."

from: https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3787228-post637.html

"I will note here that, the new Tacoma will be revealed in some 6 weeks time, once the stage for the Grand Highlander dims a bit.

Over the past 4 years I've put in a lot of effort to keep people informed on this truck, despite my position. I don't think it really counts for much at this point and I'm moving on, especially since it will be out soon.

The week of April 3, 2023 is what I learned on February 14th. If I am wrong for some weird reason and last minute change of plans, well not my issue going forward. I only can pass on information I am aware of, not predict if Toyota will change venue or dates."

from: https://www.tacoma4g.com/forum/thre...ering-production-availability.1226/post-21541

It seems Toyota wants to keep a clear hierarchy between the Tacoma/Tundra. I hope the complaints from the current generation have been addressed with updated tuning but we'll see soon at least.

Last edited:

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
Definitely interesting timing for beginning of April. It makes sense with the new Colorado/Canyon just starting production, and the new Ranger just a few months away. Build dates for the new Tacoma are still a ways out but I’m sure Toyota wants to let something out for any buyers who maybe on the fence to keep them interested. Exciting to know it’s going to be shown soon though, hopefully.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
2TR-FE 2.7L - Base
2GR-FKS 3.5L - Optional (Single source claims std 6MT)
A25A-FXS 2.5L - Optional on Mid-high level (TRD, etc)
T24A-FTS 2.4T HM (TRD Pro ONLY)"
2TR - maybe... but for Tundra, the base engine was a low stress version of the V6TT. I'm sure the TR is cheap to produce, but it will be increasingly less desirable as time goes on and it isn't built locally.
2GR - highly doubt they'd go to the effort of developing a longitudinal T24 and not making it the volume engine. I don't see the benefit of the 2GR in a new platform.
A25 - I'll eat my hat if this happens. It's around 230hp and uses an eCVT from what I can tell. Great for crossovers, not so great for a 4WD truck pushing a transfer case, prop shafts, and F&R diffs.
T24 - definitely. Hybrid and non-hybrid versions just like the V6TT.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
2TR - maybe... but for Tundra, the base engine was a low stress version of the V6TT. I'm sure the TR is cheap to produce, but it will be increasingly less desirable as time goes on and it isn't built locally.
2GR - highly doubt they'd go to the effort of developing a longitudinal T24 and not making it the volume engine. I don't see the benefit of the 2GR in a new platform.
A25 - I'll eat my hat if this happens. It's around 230hp and uses an eCVT from what I can tell. Great for crossovers, not so great for a 4WD truck pushing a transfer case, prop shafts, and F&R diffs.
The new LC300 is still available in some countries with the 1GR-FE.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
The current engine lineup will be gone I will say confidently. My guesses
A25A-FXS: ~245HP (from Highlander hybrid)
T24A-FTS: ~260HP 325LB-FT
Hybrid Max: ~300hp 425lb-ft

Also, there was a leak posted and I think deleted it said either Tacoma or GX fall this year. I'm not sure.

Reactions
Toyota are shooting themselves in the foot here. The base I4 and the I4 hybrid are ridiculous powertrains to have in the Tacoma.

This needed to have turbo I4 base, I4 hybrid, and V6 range-topper.

The current engine lineup will be gone I will say confidently. My guesses
A25A-FXS: ~245HP (from Highlander hybrid)
T24A-FTS: ~260HP 325LB-FT
Hybrid Max: ~300hp 425lb-ft
The Hybrid Max to lose that much power and only gain a marginal amount in torque is unrealistic.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
This isn't using the Direct-4 from the RX, it's most likely using the Tundra setup. We see a gain of about 50hp and 100lb-ft from the IFORCEMAX. So maybe 310hp instead of 300hp.

GoHuskers

Fan
Reactions
are we always asking for TOO much? 300-310 hp and about 400 ft-lb Torque is way better than the current set up. I hope that I don't have to spend over $60k for that combination.

b.ba

Fan
Reactions

The A25A will be used longitudinally, but I have to wonder if it'll be placed in a similar setup to the i-FORCE MAX? Putting an eCVT would alienate the Tacoma's fanbase to the point where I would think the product planners would realize such.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
They'll use the THS, it's probably cheaper to produce and it's a base powertrain. It's an upgrade over the 2.7L regardless if you ask me.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
I’m a bit skeptical, but the only way these powertrain rumors make sense is if these rumors are referring to the global market.

2TR- I could see this as an option in markets outside the US. This engine is also sold in the Prado, Hilux, Fortuner, HiAce, etc and is quite popular in Southeast Asia, so it is interesting to see if Toyota keeps the 2TR in production.

A25-There have been rumors of the Prado being offered with the A25 hybrid, so I think this is a very possible option. I’m not sure we will see it as an option in the US, but globally, yes. US is 50/50, imo.

2GR-Highly unlikely this will carry on, imo. 1GR is more likely in the Tacoma given that it will continue production in the LC300, and I believe it is still offered in the 70 series and Coaster. Then again, the HiAce also uses the 2GR, so it’ll be interesting to see what happens there too.

T24/T24 hybrid—Pretty much guaranteed in US spec Tacoma, and I could see a scenario where the T24/T24 hybrid is the only choice in the Tacoma. I have a hard time seeing the T24 hybrid only being available on the TRD Pro.

I hope the rumors of a manual being offered are true.

The A25A will be used longitudinally, but I have to wonder if it'll be placed in a similar setup to the i-FORCE MAX? Putting an eCVT would alienate the Tacoma's fanbase to the point where I would think the product planners would realize such.

I doubt Toyota will put the eCVT in a longitude configuration. It would have to be a completely new transmission. They would just use the T24 Hybrid setup that will will already be in the Tacoma. Same electric motor tranny for non-turbo and turbo engines.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The A25 hybrid rumor actually matches one of the earlier Prado rumors which includes an A25 P2 hybrid system. It has zero chance of being a power-split THS unless Toyota is okay with releasing a truck with < 2000kg towing capability. The output will be ~240hp/400N.m which matches the old V6 well.

The most suspicious is 2GR staying. I doubt Toyota will keep that engine in production for long. Unless there is a bottleneck for prioritizing Highlander/GH/TX and we know demand for these vehicles will be huge. It's possible they keep producing the V6 for 2-3 years and the T24 coming later when capacity catches up.