3rd Generation Toyota Tundra (2022+) Master Thread

Demetrius

Founding Member
Reactions

Sigh.
"The fact that Toyota came up with "i-Force MAX" as a euphemism for "hybrid" is a clue that efficiency might not be the main objective here. We still don't have EPA numbers for the hybrid, but the truck's own reckoning from its trip computer put the mileage similar to the nonhybrid, which is to say high teens in mixed driving. We'd guess the i-Force MAX picks up 1 or 2 mpg in the city but doubt it betters the 22-mpg highway for the nonhybrid 4x4. "

This does not sound good. At a hypothetical 18/22 and "mixed teens" combined mpg, the value just isn't there for half a second of speed increase over the non-hybrid. Added weight, complexity, and cost all negate it. Toyota's hybrid tech should be much better than this in terms of raw numbers.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
"The fact that Toyota came up with "i-Force MAX" as a euphemism for "hybrid" is a clue that efficiency might not be the main objective here. We still don't have EPA numbers for the hybrid, but the truck's own reckoning from its trip computer put the mileage similar to the nonhybrid, which is to say high teens in mixed driving. We'd guess the i-Force MAX picks up 1 or 2 mpg in the city but doubt it betters the 22-mpg highway for the nonhybrid 4x4. "

This does not sound good. At a hypothetical 18/22 and "mixed teens" combined mpg, the value just isn't there for half a second of speed increase over the non-hybrid. Added weight, complexity, and cost all negate it. Toyota's hybrid tech should be much better than this in terms of raw numbers.
Guesses are just that. I'll wait till we get the official economy numbers.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
At this point, I am disappointed with the Tundra launch due to ongoing quality issues.

There is a massive backlog of people who have been waiting for a new Tundra for a decade, and to have it take this long and then deliver a product with quality problems, uneven lines in trim and accessories, faulty wastegate actuators, brake malfunction messages, software problems, etc. is inexcusable. I'm shocked to see TOYOTA people/techs warning buyers against buying a Tundra right now, but that's where we are at. Even worse, because of shortages, people are waiting 3-4+ weeks for replacement parts on brand new $60k+ trucks to fix some of these problems.

Really disappointing coming from Toyota.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Yes really, bad, no excuses. This gives reason to Tesla, which should not be done. If the problem is industry wide, TMC should figure out how to be the exception.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Yes really, bad, no excuses. This gives reason to Tesla, which should not be done. If the problem is industry wide, TMC should figure out how to be the exception.
Didnt know the cybertruck production was already up and running....
At this point, I am disappointed with the Tundra launch due to ongoing quality issues.

There is a massive backlog of people who have been waiting for a new Tundra for a decade, and to have it take this long and then deliver a product with quality problems, uneven lines in trim and accessories, faulty wastegate actuators, brake malfunction messages, software problems, etc. is inexcusable. I'm shocked to see TOYOTA people/techs warning buyers against buying a Tundra right now, but that's where we are at. Even worse, because of shortages, people are waiting 3-4+ weeks for replacement parts on brand new $60k+ trucks to fix some of these problems.

Really disappointing coming from Toyota.
@Carmaker1 wherever the legend maybe be nowdays, casually mentioned this point about Toyota and their renaissance plans. Toyota usually does not launch as many vehicles as it has and is going to do in the next couple of years. While nothing is impossible to do for toyota and any carmaker, issues like this are going to be more commonplace especially with supply restraints. In years past the ongoing advice was avoid the first MY on any new vehicle, and I guess going forward this applies to toyota moreso lately.

Toyota will probably iron these problems quite quickly, but the folks with an axe to grind...TURBOS ARE BAD group, are going to run wild with these hiccups.

Reactions
Didnt know the cybertruck production was already up and running....

@Carmaker1 wherever the legend maybe be nowdays, casually mentioned this point about Toyota and their renaissance plans. Toyota usually does not launch as many vehicles as it has and is going to do in the next couple of years. While nothing is impossible to do for toyota and any carmaker, issues like this are going to be more commonplace especially with supply restraints. In years past the ongoing advice was avoid the first MY on any new vehicle, and I guess going forward this applies to toyota moreso lately.

Toyota will probably iron these problems quite quickly, but the folks with an axe to grind...TURBOS ARE BAD group, are going to run wild with these hiccups.

This is the correct take. Toyota will rectify this. Especially if they're going to go back and start taking risks or make really cool products, they'll get their act together, and fast. I know they will.

Now this is something that I personally feel. But I feel that Toyota engineers would rather push the barriers and have some hiccups than be a dinosaur of a brand and have nothing notable than being bulletproof reliable. A lot of Toyota's flair back in the day was that they were also really competitive products as well.

I think the current crop of engineers, designers, and leaders working on these new Toyota and Lexus vehicles who focus on making the brand a lot more exciting, while keeping its stellar reputation, are worth the few issues that some cars have from the outset.

The Tundra is a product that's basically close to the front of the pack with the others and has become class competitive like it was back in the day. Toyota can fix faulty wastegate actuators and silly software problems with a snap of a finger. What's important is that we have a solid Tundra that is in the Toyota lineup. I hope Toyota innovates more with different powertrains.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
This is the correct take. Toyota will rectify this. Especially if they're going to go back and start taking risks or make really cool products, they'll get their act together, and fast. I know they will.

Now this is something that I personally feel. But I feel that Toyota engineers would rather push the barriers and have some hiccups than be a dinosaur of a brand and have nothing notable than being bulletproof reliable. A lot of Toyota's flair back in the day was that they were also really competitive products as well.

I think the current crop of engineers, designers, and leaders working on these new Toyota and Lexus vehicles who focus on making the brand a lot more exciting, while keeping its stellar reputation, are worth the few issues that some cars have from the outset.

The Tundra is a product that's basically close to the front of the pack with the others and has become class competitive like it was back in the day. Toyota can fix faulty wastegate actuators and silly software problems with a snap of a finger. What's important is that we have a solid Tundra that is in the Toyota lineup. I hope Toyota innovates more with different powertrains.

Its hard to say these days. With marketing groups in full force, it seems the new tundra is already behind with the media blitz of full EV trucks introducing an industry-wide paradigm shift. I also dont know what happened to those controlled media leaks from PR on the Tundra being a "world beater" but it seems they rapidly tempered down maybe waiting to launch during the superbowl.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
I swear the owners of previous gen Tundras on the internet are the same type of people as LC200 owners on the internet, every time I read the "opinions" from those people I just want to roll my eyes, also that C&D test sounds just really dumb, these are big a$$ truck FFS, and seems more like them trying to find excuses to downplay the Tundra as much as they can and trying make the piles from Detroit look better than they are.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Yes it's an industry wide problem. Launching any product at all has been something car makers have failed to do. Think about how many products got launched and delayed or are outright vaporware over the past two years. I feel launch hiccups will be even more frequent at Toyota given they now have to work on 2x the number of projects compared to before. Keep updating the current ICEV/HEV lineup while also releasing 2-3 EVs per year is next to impossible for any car maker other than TMC and VAG.

The main problem seems to be launching a brand new powertrain. The last-gen Tundra carried over 4.7L for 2 years while the 5.7L was tested on the J200. It would be interesting to know whether the J300 has the same wastegate actuator problems.

P.S. Now you see what a crucial move it was to consolidate their JDM dealer network. No longer having to create 3 different variants of one product just for a single market. They also abandoned all these narrow-body compliance models and are now using international widebody models in JDM as well.
This is very true. The 'old but reliable Toyota' stereotype is actually a recent phenomenon. Before the 2010s Toyotas were known to have advanced tech AND good reliability.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Its hard to say these days. With marketing groups in full force, it seems the new tundra is already behind with the media blitz of full EV trucks introducing an industry-wide paradigm shift. I also dont know what happened to those controlled media leaks from PR on the Tundra being a "world beater" but it seems they rapidly tempered down maybe waiting to launch during the superbowl.
BEV passenger cars are likely the future. BEV trucks are very likely not. Pickup trucks are at the weight class where batteries no longer make sense (Hummer EV is over 4000kg!). There will be no point at which BEV trucks become affordable without the manufacturer willingly taking losses.

A slight supply disruption will send Rivian stock to the drain. Unfortunately they are not the next Tesla. Cyber truck is vaporware. Hummer EV is extremely dumb. I wish Ford the best of luck with the Lightning because it's the only one that makes sense.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
This is very true. The 'old but reliable Toyota' stereotype is actually a recent phenomenon. Before the 2010s Toyotas were known to have advanced tech AND good reliability.
Like during the 80s, 90s and even early 2000s. Personally I rather see Toyota to continue to push forward making their cars be competitive like they used to do than reusing some old, outdated and underperforming hardware to power their cars, even if that means some minor issues in the first year of production.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
The main problem seems to be launching a brand new powertrain. The last-gen Tundra carried over 4.7L for 2 years while the 5.7L was tested on the J200. It would be interesting to know whether the J300 has the same wastegate actuator problems.
J200 LC didn't get the 5.7L until MY08 in the US. Tundra had the 5.7L at launch of the gen 2 in MY07. The 4.7L UZ was carryover from gen 1 to gen 2 Tundra, but the bulk of the MY07 Tundras were the 5.7L. The 4.7L UZ was replaced with a 4.6L UZ in a year or two later.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Anyone know the payload oddities that seem to be making the forum rounds? Max payload on spec sheets seems to be higher then listed on actual build door jams (happened on My21s as well)?

LateToLexus

Follower
Reactions
Capstone is NOT a Land Cruiser replacement in the US like many in the media are trying to promulgate.

Capstone Tundra ride quality just isn't there and doesn't have off-road goodies to boot. Not even close

LX is the American LC at this time. Just is.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
interesting discussion or "told you so" owners whichever direction you take away from it.

There is a youtube of a current owner whose documenting his experience cant seem to find it. Toyota seems to be indicating a 30 day wait period for parts, which should be enough to lemon a new truck in most states.

Reactions
interesting discussion or "told you so" owners whichever direction you take away from it.

There is a youtube of a current owner whose documenting his experience cant seem to find it. Toyota seems to be indicating a 30 day wait period for parts, which should be enough to lemon a new truck in most states.

I'm hoping that Toyota is swift with their fixes.

They also desperately need a new V8.