3rd Generation Toyota Tundra (2022+) Master Thread

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I started with a Limited, then did CrewMax and 4X4. Nothing else -- and that bumped the price up from $46k to $55,700? OUCH!!

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
This Tundra for me like the first generation LS or the LFA a new definition, if I can I will buy it from USofA to here

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Tires are comically small though. Toyota just puts tiny tires on big trucks. Their "king of offroad" J300 GR Sport has 31" H/Ts, even smaller than J70 and J200 on 32" A/Ts. All that offroad tech but no proper tires. They know their customers too well, 100% mall crawling and maybe occasional excursion on dirt.

Reactions
Tires are comically small though. Toyota just puts tiny tires on big trucks. Their "king of offroad" J300 GR Sport has 31" H/Ts, even smaller than J70 and J200 on 32" A/Ts. All that offroad tech but no proper tires. They know their customers too well, 100% mall crawling and maybe occasional excursion on dirt.

AFAIK 35's are a dealer installed option on the Tundra though.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Let's be real here, most people that buy trucks and SUVs will just drive them on the street and almost never go do any proper off-roading, the other car manufacturers will fit the big chunky A/T tires on the off-road trims of their trucks and SUVs just so the look good and will perform as best as it can in stock form at off-roading when being tested by journalists, but then back in real world when your typical customer finally got their shiny new ride and starts driving them, they'll start complaining that the tires are too loud, the whole truck/SUV feels wobbly and unstable when going at highway speeds and the steering feels so loose and vague that it doesn't even feel like it's connected to the front wheels. So why not just equip the tires that are actually the most suitable for most buyers like Toyota did? Plus they're just tires, it's not like changing the stock ones to a different set of tires is a big deal or anything, especially when you can already afford the price of these newer generations of larger and higher-end trucks and SUVs.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Let's be real here, most people that buy trucks and SUVs will just drive them on the street and almost never go do any proper off-roading, the other car manufacturers will fit the big chunky A/T tires on the off-road trims of their trucks and SUVs just so the look good and will perform as best as it can in stock form at off-roading when being tested by journalists, but then back in real world when your typical customer finally got their shiny new ride and starts driving them, they'll start complaining that the tires are too loud, the whole truck/SUV feels wobbly and unstable when going at highway speeds and the steering feels so loose and vague that it doesn't even feel like it's connected to the front wheels. So why not just equip the tires that are actually the most suitable for most buyers like Toyota did? Plus they're just tires, it's not like changing the stock ones to a different set of tires is a big deal or anything, especially when you can already afford the price of these newer generations of larger and higher-end trucks and SUVs.
I put the TRD Pro spec tires on my 2016 4Runner and they really are goldilocks tires. Look great, don't ride much louder than stock, and they feel agile. They're solid offroad, too. The only place they fall flat are in the snow/ice. I run Michelin X-ice during the winter and they do fantastic other than looking like a highway tire.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions

Looking good.
Pet peeve of mine that they don't show/confirm clearance with the tires tucked. That's what matters versus just sitting stationary in a flat parking lot. Throw it up on an RTI ramp.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Any dealer techs on the forums? Heard wastegate actuators needing replacement...CEL in 300-1k miles with the only solution being a new complete turbo unit from factory? Odd since this exact solution is in the already on sale LC.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Any dealer techs on the forums? Heard wastegate actuators needing replacement...CEL in 300-1k miles with the only solution being a new complete turbo unit from factory? Odd since this exact solution is in the already on sale LC.

I've heard and seen this as well. Yikes.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I've heard and seen this as well. Yikes.
I was wondering if this was a bunch of FUD that current v8 owners were spreading on socials, but it does seem to be popping up more and more on different forums. Not a good look, for Toyota who need to convince the reliability circles that they can make a proper turbo

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Why would someone read truck reviews from a magazine that does nothing other than drag racing sports cars?

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Why would someone read truck reviews from a magazine that does nothing other than drag racing sports cars?
I try not to shoot the messenger... but harping over 0.3 seconds difference to 60 is a bit of a dramatic take.