3rd Generation Toyota Tundra (2022+) Master Thread

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
I'm over being excited about the truck. Wake me up when Toyota actually wants to give a real press release and specs on it. They're getting as bad as Elon Musk for hyping sh*t up for a long time before it becomes a reality.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Most of what I've seen has been positive, but I think it's time for Toyota to lay down their cards and at least show people trim levels, different models, options, colors, etc.

This slow drip of leaks means Toyota loses control of the message. I know it's only the enthusiast community who cares about these things prior to a release, but the new Tundra is truly ALL over the internet and it's all out there with just a simple "2022 Tundra" google search.

They should go ahead and own it.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Honestly interior from those couple photos looks miles upscale than the current interior, and most of people care most about the interior because that's the place they always have to deal with, that said adding this interior even to the current exterior with Toyota legandary reliability and go everywhere with 0 troubles it's like winning formula for me

Motor

Expert
Reactions

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Speaking of Sequoia, Carmaker1 confirmed that the Sequoia is coming in November of next year.

I am so excited with all of these products. 😍

doesnt it start production in 02/2022?

As to Tundra, if it does awesome, what numbers are Toyota expecting? 12k per month would be 2x current sales... 20k/mo would be almost 4x increase.

We can find out that info by following their capacity announcements for Tundras plant.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I am disappointed in the powertrain specs unfortunately.

All-new TTV6: 389hp/479lb-ft
TTV6 + Hybrid (iForce Max): 437hp/583lb-ft

Curious why the Tundra loses 20hp over the Land Cruiser tune. Many of the earlier rumors had the hybrid V6 at "close to 500hp." Base engine is bested by Ford and the hybrid is very close. Coming in at or over 400hp would have been the right thing to do as the Tundra has always come out with best-in-class power at introduction, then waited for everyone else to catch up.

After a week with the V35A-FTS, hard to say I am excited.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
91RON/87AKI fuel? 5% loss is expected going from premium to regular.

Maybe? If that is true, for the sake of marketing, they should have lead with:

409hp*

*Manufacturer estimate based on 91 octane fuel rating or higher. Using lower octane fuel will result in lower performance.

The marketing of being under 400hp is not great, IMO. 389hp on 87 could be somewhere in the fine print, but 409hp for marketing on such a huge product launch was a misstep if the discrepancy comes down to fuel. Truck people care about specs - these are not Camry shoppers.

We've had 381 hp for 15 years, and over all that time, on an all-new product, we get 8 more? Ouch.

Reactions
91RON/87AKI fuel? 5% loss is expected going from premium to regular.

This is exactly what I was going to say. With premium fuel you'll get close to those numbers.

And also if you're reading spec sheets without realizing how insane of an engine the V35A-FTS is, then I don't know what to tell you. That engine performs way better than what the numbers say. Sure, in terms of marketing, something like 409 horsepower would've been great to see, but I definitely won't be surprised if Toyota does a power upgrade to their base V6 in a few years like what they did with the Toyota GR Supra.

So far, I haven't seen anyone else having the same opinion as Gecko regarding the power numbers, I could easily say 99% of the criticisms are with regard to that face.

I'm excited as all hell to be honest. This is immediately a front running product. That interior is downright stunning with a knockout of an infotainment system and the mechanicals should be a chef's kiss. My only gripe is that I still haven't warmed up to the exterior of the TRD Pro, but in general some trims and specs should make this Tundra an absolute beauty to own.