3rd Generation Toyota Tundra (2022+) Master Thread

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
An early prototype finally showed up, but we can't make out much:

Toyota Tundra spy shots indicate rear suspension upgrades
The rear end is conspicuously covered

One of our spy photographers caught a Toyota Tundra prototype truck out testing, and we were tempted to write it off as another light refresh of a truck with roots in 2007, especially since the cab is unchanged. But then we noticed that Toyota went to great pains to make sure no one could see the rear axle and suspension. Vinyl coverings lurk in the wheel wells, and bristles line the edges of the bed. So we suspect Toyota has done something interesting with the rear end.

What could it be? Well, based on the shock mounts, it looks like it will retain a solid rear axle, which makes sense considering full-size truck buyers might frown on independent rear suspension. We think Toyota may be working on a coil-sprung rear suspension similar to what the Ram 1500 uses. Air springs could be another possibility. This is speculation, but our theory is supported by what looks like a locating link in one of the images, which would be necessary with coil springs or air springs as neither provide natural fore and aft positioning the way leaf packs do.

Besides the mysterious rear suspension, we can make out just a bit of the front fascia. It's not especially different from the current model, with headlights sticking out wing-like from the big center grille. The grille design looks similar to the Tacoma TRD Pro grille, with room for the word "Toyota" spelled out, and a big center plastic bar. The two-post trailer mirrors are another feature we haven't seen before on Tundras.

This is the first time we've seen one of these Tundra prototypes, so it could be a while before its secrets are revealed. We wouldn't expect to see it for at least a year. We'll be keeping a close eye on wrapped Tundras in the meantime.

toyota-tundra-1.jpg

toyota-tundra-1.jpg

toyota-tundra-1.jpg

toyota-tundra-1.jpg

More pics and story: https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/24/toyota-tundra-spy-shots-rear-suspension/

Reactions
They cut out an inlet at the bottom of the front fascia.

Could it be an intercooler?!

Yeah, they're definitely going turbo now. NA engines are not that competitive anymore unless they're hybrid. Also not to forget that 5.7 engine is old.

should get 3.5tt i guess? and also rumors of turbo diesel as well?

3.5 TT seems like it is coming for sure now, but I feel like we may be getting V8's as well. Having a good turbo V8 could define the segment as for performance and torque ratings.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Yeah, they're definitely going turbo now. NA engines are not that competitive anymore unless they're hybrid. Also not to forget that 5.7 engine is old.

3.5 TT seems like it is coming for sure now, but I feel like we may be getting V8's as well. Having a good turbo V8 could define the segment as for performance and torque ratings.

did anyone hear anything about V8 yet? All we hear from new LC300 is that it will have new 3.5tt, but it is also completely different market to US.

I could see NA V8 in the US.

Reactions
did anyone hear anything about V8 yet? All we hear from new LC300 is that it will have new 3.5tt, but it is also completely different market to US.

I could see NA V8 in the US.

Well a TTV8 is fully developed now (from a few sources actually) for Lexus F models and normal higher end models, that's why I said it could be a possibility. That 5.7 is too old now. And if we will get a NA V8 it should be with a hybrid because in today's ratings the Tundra is just underwhelming.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Well a TTV8 is fully developed now (from a few sources actually) for Lexus F models and normal higher end models, that's why I said it could be a possibility. That 5.7 is too old now. And if we will get a NA V8 it should be with a hybrid because in today's ratings the Tundra is just underwhelming.

you think they will put 600hp+ v8tt from LC-F into Tundra? I reckon it would be way too expensive, and they might just use simpler NA V8 for Tundra, from same engine series, not old one.

Reactions
Well, power plant was number 2 on my list for the tundra/Landcruiser.

If it is true that it may be getting a IRS, I am truly saddened by this.
That means.. no solid rear axle... no rear locker as every tundra owners have been asking for.

Just praying it doesnt look porky.

Reactions
you think they will put 600hp+ v8tt from LC-F into Tundra? I reckon it would be way too expensive, and they might just use simpler NA V8 for Tundra, from same engine series, not old one.

Definitely not a 600 hp tune, I'd say breaching mid-high 400's. The V6 being a more inexpensive option. Both would be under stressed and would provide the torque and power these trucks so desperately need. However I am not sure if V8's will be making their way to trucks with a turbo.

Reactions: RAL

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
They cut out an inlet at the bottom of the front fascia.

Could it be an intercooler?!

Modern turbocharged engines (except high performance models) have intercoolers integrated into the engine. They no longer have discrete intercoolers that go to the grill. The twin intercoolers on the V35A-FTS are mounted on the top of the engine. Back in the day these layouts would be called 'interwarmers' because they would be too close to the heat source, but nowadays engines are very efficient and require quite low cooling capacity.

Definitely not a 600 hp tune, I'd say breaching mid-high 400's. The V6 being a more inexpensive option. Both would be under stressed and would provide the torque and power these trucks so desperately need. However I am not sure if V8's will be making their way to trucks with a turbo.

Another thing I hope they do is making the detuned engine able to use regular fuel. Not many turbo engines allow so but Ford did it right with the Ecoboost.

Reactions
Modern turbocharged engines (except high performance models) have intercoolers integrated into the engine. They no longer have discrete intercoolers that go to the grill. The twin intercoolers on the V35A-FTS are mounted on the top of the engine. Back in the day these layouts would be called 'interwarmers' because they would be too close to the heat source, but nowadays engines are very efficient and require quite low cooling capacity.

Another thing I hope they do is making the detuned engine able to use regular fuel. Not many turbo engines allow so but Ford did it right with the Ecoboost.

Good response but I wouldn't be surprised if they rearrange things for the Tundra. Do remember someone said that the Tundra TTV6 would be different from the TTV6 from the LS, meaning that it won't be down to exact same configurations. It is probably much more modified and changed for truck use. Probably what's going to happen is that they would start from the bottom end and then modify that engine to suit the needs of a truck. They could rearrange things so that it can suit a truck much better. This is a very low-level example, but the 2GR V6 of the Camry (which is transverse) is longitudinal on the Tacoma and other things in the engine bay are have a different placement to suit the Tacoma more. I suspect they could do that regarding engine specifications (among other things) because it requires more grunt/torque/towing/pulling power and also their placement could very well be different.

As for your second comment, I sure hope they do! All Toyota/Lexus engines have been capable of both using premium and regular fuel (however their internal engine configurations are probably different/but I know some engines are relatively the same). I believe they will do that for Toyota because I don't think it would make very sense to charge premium fuel. It wouldn't make sense for their customer base and it wouldn't make for the purpose of the truck. I highly doubt they would mess their beloved customers like that.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Tundra is 30k-50k vehicle, gotta lower your expectations on them using engines from 80k-150k vehicles.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Tundra is 30k-50k vehicle, gotta lower your expectations on them using engines from 80k-150k vehicles.

A fully loaded F-150/Silverado/Ram approach 80k these days, so yes the Tundra will move upmarket as well. Its American competitors really take the 'premium pickup truck' concept seriously. I know it makes no sense but unfortunately that's what's happening.

Think about it, a RAV4 now goes to 40k. The next gen Tundra will not be cheap bar the base fleet trim. Cars in general are getting dangerously expensive in the US.

Reactions
All toyota needs to do is offer the same V8 or TTV6 with an "optional" rear locker.

That is the most wanted from current gen owners.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
It's strange to me that the Land Cruiser and LX got the 8AT, but never the Tundra, even though it's so much higher volume. The 8AT barely made a difference for MPG for the Land Cruiser, but I wonder if being lighter and RWD (not full time 4X4), the difference could be greater for the Tundra?

Reactions
I believe the land cruiser weighs close to 6,000 lbs?
The tundra weighs around 5,300 to 5,700 lbs.

Although, the landcruiser may be more aerodynamic, it just weighs a ton. I wonder if toyota can just make the LC over +6,000 lbs this next gen. (tax purposes)

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
It's strange to me that the Land Cruiser and LX got the 8AT, but never the Tundra, even though it's so much higher volume. The 8AT barely made a difference for MPG for the Land Cruiser, but I wonder if being lighter and RWD (not full time 4X4), the difference could be greater for the Tundra?

Price, also Tundra does not sell better than Land Cruiser.

Reactions
First of all, I highly doubt that a TT V6 will be the only engine option. There is no way Toyota would let themselves be the only truck maker in the US market without a V8. We are still waiting on two more bigger engines to be revealed. Mike Sweers has been pretty blunt about his support for V8s because, ya know, truck guys.

Seems pretty unlikely to get a TT V8 as well. My guess is either the 5.0 V8 or an updated version of the iForce 5.7. They may add direct injection, D4S and the new angles of the Dynamic Force line.

Thoughts?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
First of all, I highly doubt that a TT V6 will be the only engine option. There is no way Toyota would let themselves be the only truck maker in the US market without a V8. We are still waiting on two more bigger engines to be revealed. Mike Sweers has been pretty blunt about his support for V8s because, ya know, truck guys.

Seems pretty unlikely to get a TT V8 as well. My guess is either the 5.0 V8 or an updated version of the iForce 5.7. They may add direct injection, D4S and the new angles of the Dynamic Force line.

Thoughts?

Good points. I think updating the iForce 5.7L V8 with direct injection, D4S and a 10AT might be enough to make the truck diehards happy. For the guys who really have to have a V8, there is your engine.

The other option would be a new smaller displacement turbo V8 on the new Dynamic Force architecture. Whether that is twin turbo or single turbo, I'm not sure. It's getting harder to see the use case for these big V8 engines now - LS F, LC F and Tundra would be really low volume. Even if they added it as an option to Land Cruiser and LX in select markets, as well as Sequoia, that would still be a tough sell, IMO. Also, the trucks don't need 640hp like LS F and LC F so at a minimum, there has to be different tunes of this engine.

3.5L TT V6 is probably enough engine for 90% of buyers, but there will be that group who has to have their V8, as you note.

Possible options seem to be:
  • 3.5L TT V6
  • 3.5L TT V6 + Hybrid
  • Reworked and updated 5.7L iForce V8
  • New Dynamic Force turbo V8