3rd Generation Toyota Tundra (2022+) Master Thread

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
I like the sounds of that. It will be interesting to see what powertrains are available, my guess is three, a turbocharged v6, a v8, and some sort of hybrid, however I heard a rumor that the hybrid model won’t be on sale right away with the all new model.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
more and more I think about it, I doubt that you will get many V8 options.

Everyone needs to remember about CAFE rules and their equivalent in the US.
For instance in Western Europe, Toyota pulled 1.2t from Corolla in many countries, because they needed to lower their average CO2 to 95g/100km and 1.2t was dragging it up.

With new hybrids, they have 1.5l, 1.8l, 2.0l and 2.5l powertrains in Europe, covering every vehicle.

Same will happen with V8 engines, it will kill them in MPG to have old base inefficient V8 engine in the US.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Same will happen with V8 engines, it will kill them in MPG to have old base inefficient V8 engine in the US.

If the Big Three are all offering pickup trucks with NA V8, then CAFE is not Toyota's main concern. Plus they have the Tundra hybrid to drag it back down again. Whether a NA V8 will be offered probably depends on results of the 2020 election. A Democrat president will bring up fuel price by A LOT.

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
more and more I think about it, I doubt that you will get many V8 options.

Everyone needs to remember about CAFE rules and their equivalent in the US.
For instance in Western Europe, Toyota pulled 1.2t from Corolla in many countries, because they needed to lower their average CO2 to 95g/100km and 1.2t was dragging it up.

With new hybrids, they have 1.5l, 1.8l, 2.0l and 2.5l powertrains in Europe, covering every vehicle.

I think DI will be added to the 3UR. Alternative will be a hybrid.

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
Trademarks registration could be anything, even reference the emphasis on how capable the hybrid setup.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
If the Big Three are all offering pickup trucks with NA V8, then CAFE is not Toyota's main concern. Plus they have the Tundra hybrid to drag it back down again. Whether a NA V8 will be offered probably depends on results of the 2020 election. A Democrat president will bring up fuel price by A LOT.

Today they are, tomorrow they wont be. It is certainly a big issue for something that would be a base engine, another story is special edition model that will sell 6% of volume.

In Europe in 2021, there will be few big engines left, in 2025, there will be none.

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
I am starting to hear a lot of rumors that a v8 won’t even be available on the next gen Tundra. What are your thoughts? Part of me thinks there’s no way because Mike Sweers, Chief Engineer, loves big burly v8’s but at the same time Toyota is trying to improve MPG’s and CAFE across the lineup. Toyota has said the Tundra is already somewhat niche and they aren’t really looking to become #1 in full-size pickup sales. With those two thoughts in mind I am torn. Just looking for some others thoughts, opinions, or rumors they might have heard.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
:sleeping:
I am starting to hear a lot of rumors that a v8 won’t even be available on the next gen Tundra. What are your thoughts? Part of me thinks there’s no way because Mike Sweers, Chief Engineer, loves big burly v8’s but at the same time Toyota is trying to improve MPG’s and CAFE across the lineup. Toyota has said the Tundra is already somewhat niche and they aren’t really looking to become #1 in full-size pickup sales. With those two thoughts in mind I am torn. Just looking for some others thoughts, opinions, or rumors they might have heard.
They are targeting our EcoBoost F-150 and hybrid coming up.

Will1991

Reactions
:sleeping:
and hybrid coming up.

I’m so far off Ford products that only very recently I got aware of this big scoop 😆

I found that render from carscoops

I really like it and it looks more logic step at least for myself

Was expecting more influence from FT-4X, but it does look good.

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
I don’t buy it one bit. First off I don’t like the style even if it were true but I don’t think it is. They took a newer Tundra and morphed it into a new Sierra. The grill isn’t much different than the one on Tundras now, the headlights are the same as a Sierra and it has RAV4 TRD wheels on it. Personally I don’t think it will have any design cues from other manufacturers. It will definitely be new look for tundra with some key features we all know. The trapezoidal grille, wider looking stance. Things of that nature.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
They talked about dynamic torque vectoring on the Tundra. I am quite sure that is what the Landcruiser might get, because TV does make sense off road and is even better than Crawl Control alone. No diff locks needed, no selecting, just automatic driving. But it will probably need cooling active cooling for heavy duty work, not to fail like electronic diff-locks after some abuse.

I like tech, but real car tech, not number of pixels.

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
Today they are, tomorrow they wont be. It is certainly a big issue for something that would be a base engine, another story is special edition model that will sell 6% of volume.

In Europe in 2021, there will be few big engines left, in 2025, there will be none.

How do you know there will no big engines left in2025 for Europe? Would love to know more.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Honestly, at first I was opposing the idea of ditching the V8 maybe more than you guys, but after I saw the 3 cylinder Yaris-GR and decided to re-study the current car markets, now I can say it clearly that I have no problem with the V6 in full-size truck as long as it provides the same or more HP & Torque

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Don't forget that it will be Hybrid system
So the electric system will take a lot of the force put on the V6TT during towing