NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
The prospect of the GX with the 421hp Tundra performance tune has me daydreaming quite a bit. Gotta be possible

I wondered about that too, but the Tacoma X-Runner required a strengthened frame and the Tundra rear axle. As far as I know, the GX uses the same “light duty” frame and axles as the Tacoma. I think the chassis is limited on how much power it can handle, which is why the detuned V35 in the GX puts out hp and torque figured that are only slightly better than the iForce Max drivetrain in the LC250. That’s my theory anyway. A 421hp GX would require the Tundra front diff and rear axle, plus frame strengthening. I’d love to see it happen, but I doubt we’ll see it unless Lexus offers a GX-F.

guy80

Fan
Reactions
I imagine a tune will get you to the standard Tundra performance upgrade, whereas the i-FORCE MAX performance package will of course require the hybrid

JB4 shows 50hp on the dyno

I plan to tune if I keep my delivery

Edit: looks like the hybrid model may be 2.4L iForce Max - in which case I'm less inclined to tune for fear of breakage

Last edited:

Demetrius

Founding Member
Reactions
I wondered about that too, but the Tacoma X-Runner required a strengthened frame and the Tundra rear axle. As far as I know, the GX uses the same “light duty” frame and axles as the Tacoma. I think the chassis is limited on how much power it can handle, which is why the detuned V35 in the GX puts out hp and torque figured that are only slightly better than the iForce Max drivetrain in the LC250. That’s my theory anyway. A 421hp GX would require the Tundra front diff and rear axle, plus frame strengthening. I’d love to see it happen, but I doubt we’ll see it unless Lexus offers a GX-F.
That is a bummer if true. So much R&D has gone into the TNGA-F platform and even now, we're seeing how much planning went into the 3GX with those "From the Ground Up" videos. Would be a shame if they had not at least considered the possibility of a higher performance version, especially knowing they had the leeway with TX to pick up any miffed prospective buyers.