Will1991

Reactions
Perfect Lexus for 1-2 kids? I’m imagining that rear truck… So easy to place the stroller 😅

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
I'm thinking about getting a travel trailer for camping trips and I'm new to the American system of vehicle weight ratings. In many parts of the world the GVM of the towing vehicle is full fuel/fluid weight + maximum payload, and towing capacity is the maximum weight of trailer - tongue weight (i.e. tongue weight is counted towards payload, not trailer), and the two values always add up to GCM. In U.S. vehicle curb weight and max payload capacity do not add up to GVWR, and GVWR and max towing capacity do not add up to GCWR. It's quite complicated for me since it seems to have something to do with weight distribution. The simplicity of the GVM/GCM system is (GCM-GVM) is always a safe trailer weight regardless of towing vehicle's configuration. So for example a LC200 has 3350kg GVM and 6850kg GCM, meaning I can safely pull a 3500kg GVM trailer, period. It doesn't matter how many passengers I have onboard, how much cargo I carry and how weight is distributed in the trailer.

I'm debating on getting a LC250 vs. GX as a towing vehicle. The GX has 8000 lbs towing capacity while the LC250 has 6000. The several trailers I'm considering are in the 5000-6000 lbs range GVWR. I wonder how much margin you need for realistic towing under the GVWR/GCWR system.

Also what is realistically the widest trailer I can pull with the GX? I know it's a narrowbody so it may be only suited for narrow trailers. But I really don't want to put on ugly tow mirrors on such a beautiful vehicle.
Essentially, you can pull a trailer up to the max limit so long as the tongue weight and the passenger / cargo weight doesn’t exceed the payload rating.

Example: say towing limit is 8000lbs and payload limit is 1500lbs. With 10% tongue weight, you could only have another 700lbs of people and cargo in the vehicle. If the payload was 2000lbs, you could have 1200lbs of cargo in the vehicle. As long as you meet those two numbers, you should be good to go.

UZJ100GXR

Follower
Reactions
I really love GX's subtle retro-rugged design instead of the in-your-face LOOK AT HOW RETRO I AM styling of the Bronco and LCP.
I agree and also disagree

I think I like the Land Cruiser design more BUT I would totally still get a GX.

Not sure how the front and rear of the Lexus will age after they change the design language in future. The LC is classic regardless but some like you may view it as TOO in your face, thus less serious...kind of like how many viewed the Fj cruiser.

I know for certain jobs or for certain people, having something that looks a bit more serous is required and the GX fits that bill perfectly, serious but also rugged.
LCP might be too ''Look at me I overland'' type car lol.

The Lexus will definitely get the better colors.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Looks good, like a better G Wagon. TTV8 would fit well. This car should sell crazy in Russia/ Eastern Europe.

UZJ100GXR

Follower
Reactions
Looks good, like a better G Wagon. TTV8 would fit well. This car should sell crazy in Russia/ Eastern Europe.
It would have sold even better in the Middle East
But they won't be selling it here
Can you believe it!

I have asked the dealers many times in the region. They said it won't be sold due to poor sales of the predecessor gx460...well it made sense why that was a poor seller and why this one won't.
Yes it would clash with some lc300 trim levels but it would still have had enough sales to justify a place for itself. Surely way better than other lexus sedans are doing.

Heicho

Follower
Reactions
But they won't be selling it here
2024-Lexus-GX-Overtrail-Chill-box.jpg

I wonder which language is on the bottom there... anyways a sales executive at AAB told me they will bring it but it'll be a delayed launch.

Reactions
The GX OT is screaming to me now. Such a gorgeous design would look great next to the Fuji. Bravo Lexus on that design as they enter a more angular design aesthetic in their next gen models.

UZJ100GXR

Follower
Reactions
2024-Lexus-GX-Overtrail-Chill-box.jpg

I wonder which language is on the bottom there... anyways a sales executive at AAB told me they will bring it but it'll be a delayed launch.
I think this is because is because the inside of it is shared with the prado parts bin.

A delayed launch would make sense it might mean they want to see how the Prado is recieved and work from there.

UZJ100GXR

Follower
Reactions
Yeah, i can believe it actually.
It isnt a sophisticated market of buyers.
The LX 600 and LC 300 biggest market is the Middle East (GCC countries)
If we talk luxury suv/4wd
The Range Rover/G 63/Bentayga/Cullinan are all excellent sellers here so while the GX is not a direct comeptitor to those, it should still sell well because it would definitely be cheaper and everyone loves how it looks after redesign.

i dont blame them for having never bought the GX 460 - why would they buy it and leave the superior LC200 or Nissan Patrol.
But now with the GX 550...that's a different story.

So not sure exactly on what basis you came to the conclusion that it's not a sophisticated market of buyers.

Have you seen the car market in the GCC countries or been to Qatar or UAE to be more specific?

Last edited:
Reactions
The LX 600 and LC 300 biggest market is the Middle East (GCC countries)
If we talk luxury suv/4wd
The Range Rover/G 63/Bentayga/Cullinan are all excellent sellers here so while the GX is not a direct comeptitor to those, it should still sell well because it would definitely be cheaper and everyone loves how it looks after redesign.

i dont blame them for having never bought the GX 460 - why would they buy it and leave the superior LC200 or Nissan Patrol.
But now with the GX 550...that's a different story.

So not sure exactly on what basis you came to the conclusion that it's not a sophisticated market of buyers.

Have you seen the car market in the GCC countries or been to Qatar or UAE to be more specific?
Wouldn’t that be the reason for keeping the GX out of the Middle East? As you said, the LX (and the LC) has large demand there; why give the people a cheaper Lexus option? It’s probably pure numbers for TMC….they can get more high end money out of the Middle East.

Heicho

Follower
Reactions
A delayed launch would make sense it might mean they want to see how the Prado is recieved and work from there.
It is definitely coming but as to why the launch here will be later I didn’t receive an answer. Keep in mind the GX isn’t launching in all markets at the same time.
Wouldn’t that be the reason for keeping the GX out of the Middle East?
The GX 460 is available…

UZJ100GXR

Follower
Reactions
It is definitely coming but as to why the launch here will be later I didn’t receive an answer. Keep in mind the GX isn’t launching in all markets at the same time.

The GX 460 is available…
Thank you for keeping the conversation on topic.

Lexus enthusiast is for all lexus enthusiasts and not limited to a specific region.

Last edited by a moderator:

UZJ100GXR

Follower
Reactions
Wouldn’t that be the reason for keeping the GX out of the Middle East? As you said, the LX (and the LC) has large demand there; why give the people a cheaper Lexus option? It’s probably pure numbers for TMC….they can get more high end money out of the Middle East.
That is indeed what I have been told.
@Heicho has heard it may come later which also makes sense.

I guess we will wait and see.