Reactions
I didn’t get a chance. I should be back with them soon and hopefully can spend some intimate time with the GX…

wait… this thread is turning south fast 🤣
Sheesh and here I thought I was an instigator. 😭🤣

Don't be ending up like that dude who was boning his Land Rover on Top Gear. I don't want to think about what the offspring would look like... although I bet they would be handsome. 🤷‍♂️

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I'm thinking about getting a travel trailer for camping trips and I'm new to the American system of vehicle weight ratings. In many parts of the world the GVM of the towing vehicle is full fuel/fluid weight + maximum payload, and towing capacity is the maximum weight of trailer - tongue weight (i.e. tongue weight is counted towards payload, not trailer), and the two values always add up to GCM. In U.S. vehicle curb weight and max payload capacity do not add up to GVWR, and GVWR and max towing capacity do not add up to GCWR. It's quite complicated for me since it seems to have something to do with weight distribution. The simplicity of the GVM/GCM system is (GCM-GVM) is always a safe trailer weight regardless of towing vehicle's configuration. So for example a LC200 has 3350kg GVM and 6850kg GCM, meaning I can safely pull a 3500kg GVM trailer, period. It doesn't matter how many passengers I have onboard, how much cargo I carry and how weight is distributed in the trailer.

I'm debating on getting a LC250 vs. GX as a towing vehicle. The GX has 8000 lbs towing capacity while the LC250 has 6000. The several trailers I'm considering are in the 5000-6000 lbs range GVWR. I wonder how much margin you need for realistic towing under the GVWR/GCWR system.

Also what is realistically the widest trailer I can pull with the GX? I know it's a narrowbody so it may be only suited for narrow trailers. But I really don't want to put on ugly tow mirrors on such a beautiful vehicle.

Last edited:

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I'm thinking about getting a travel trailer for camping trips and I'm new to the American system of vehicle weight ratings. In many parts of the world the GVM of the towing vehicle is full fuel/fluid weight + maximum payload, and towing capacity is the maximum weight of trailer - tongue weight (i.e. tongue weight is counted towards payload, not trailer), and the two values always add up to GCM. In U.S. vehicle curb weight and max payload capacity do not add up to GVWR, and GVWR and max towing capacity do not add up to GCWR. It's quite complicated for me since it seems to have something to do with weight distribution. The simplicity of the GVM/GCM system is (GCM-GVM) is always a safe trailer weight regardless of towing vehicle's configuration. So for example a LC200 has 3350kg GVM and 6850kg GCM, meaning I can safely pull a 3500kg GVM trailer, period. It doesn't matter how many passengers I have onboard, how much cargo I carry and how weight is distributed in the trailer.

I'm debating on getting a LC250 vs. GX as a towing vehicle. The GX has 8000 lbs towing capacity while the LC250 has 6000. The several trailers I'm considering are in the 5000-6000 lbs range GVWR. I wonder how much margin you need for realistic towing under the GVWR/GCWR system.
I assume you mean GX overtrail? Other packages do less.