Reactions
This is rebadging:

maxresdefault.jpg

5SQFG5SMOV6BKMRVX2YANV4M6Y-og-860.jpg

b59a555cf053e8fb9d012275513c6550c6f7578d.jpg

This is badge engineering:

14840.jpg

2024-toyota-land-cruiser-1958-lchm-005-64c9841018c2d.jpg

The GM triplets had 98% the same exterior sheet metal, the same dashboards, the same door panels, the same engines, the same transmissions, the same technology, etc.

The GX and Prado/Land Cruiser share maybe 60% of their exterior sheet metal, have completely different interiors, and one shared powertrain and two different powertrains (2.4T for Land Cruiser, 3.4TT for GX).

I can't think of anyone doing straight up rebadging anymore, at least in the US market, aside from GM with full size trucks and SUVs. At least the Escalade is more differentiated from the Tahoe and Yukon now.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Also, knock it off with the personal back and forth. You can agree to disagree and keep it moving.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I don't understand why some are offended by calling this a "rebadge". I call the Bentley Bentayga a rebadged Audi Q7, yet the Bentley is my prefered luxury crossover.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I don't understand why some are offended by calling this a "rebadge". I call the Bentley Bentayga a rebadged Audi Q7, yet the Bentley is my prefered luxury crossover.
Because it is lazy and reductive and nobody likes intellecually dishonest people oversimplifying things to make a strawman argument

mikeavelli

Reactions

That is not a rebadge. That is platform sharing just like the GX and J250.

It’s amazing here am saying I wish the sides were a bit different and people are saying it’s a rebadge.

The LX 450 absolutely was. Not the GX 550.

UZJ100GXR

Follower
Reactions
what is interesting to note and no one seems to have mentioned yet, is the LC200 and LC300 both still have better off road angles in stock form than the new LC 250.
LC 250 (Prado)
LC250 ANGLE.jpeg

LC 200

1581474884391.png

LC300
Screenshot_20230802_065944_Instagram.jpg

UZJ100GXR

Follower
Reactions
also some other interesting differences.
LC300 has hydraulic power steering ( fully loaded Toyota LC300 has hydraulic power steering with an electric assist motor )
LX 600 fully electric

LC 250 also fully electric

Toyota claims they did so for LC 300 durability, so it is interesting to see how even for the flagship model, they still sometimes pick what they view as best for durability.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I wonder how much ground clearance and approach angle the J250s lose are because of the aero skirts. The J200/300s lack these. If it was indeed the reason then it's a very simple fix as is the case for Tacoma.

Also for the iForce Max, 10mm is lost because of the larger bell housing so the skid plate is lower to the ground. The Tundra also lose that amount of ground clearance. In that case the only fix is with bigger tires since suspension lifts don't affect the lowest point of the drivetrain.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions

Lol I bet Flying Spur owners wouldn't mind a rebadged Panamera. But enthusiasts like us do care about rebadging Toyotas coz they are the biggest offenders among all manufacturers.

LarryT

Follower
Reactions
This is rebadging:

maxresdefault.jpg

5SQFG5SMOV6BKMRVX2YANV4M6Y-og-860.jpg

b59a555cf053e8fb9d012275513c6550c6f7578d.jpg

Based on your definition of "rebadging", the examples you presented would be inaccurate.

The 2nd generation Cadillac Escalade (4WD models) had a special high-output Vortec 6.0 L V8 powertrain exclusively designed for the Escalade that the 2nd Gen Tahoe/Yukon didn't offer/have

The 2nd generation Cadillac Escalade also had a slightly redesigned interior with real Zebrano or Walnut Burl wood trim/steering wheel, dashboard gauges trimmed in aluminum, Nuance perforated leather seats/door cards/center armrest that the 2nd gen Tahoe/Yukon didn't offer/have.

Finally, the 2nd generation Cadillac Escalade had an unique exterior design that wasn't shared with lesser 2nd Gen Tahoe/Yukon models.

The GM triplets had 98% the same exterior sheet metal, the same dashboards, the same door panels, the same engines, the same transmissions, the same technology, etc.

This would actually apply to the 1st Gen Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade (1992 -2000), not the 2nd Gen Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade models (2001 - 2006) you presented.

Last edited:

LarryT

Follower
Reactions

They're just despondent GX owners/fans trying to retain the status quo of the GX now that the similar Land Cruiser (Prado) model will also be sharing the spotlight in the North American/U.S market. 😁

Last edited:

LarryT

Follower
Reactions
@12:29 - 13:13

"Automotive Press offers the most authentic engineer's auto reviews, news, and insights by industry veteran David Koichi Chao. Find out about cars and trucks that no other reviewers would be able to comment - because of David Chao's automotive engineering expertise and evaluation experience. David is a mechanical engineering graduate with an education from MIT and Harvard in Boston who worked as an Evaluation, Development, Testing, and Manufacturing Engineer for major car companies. The unique point of this channel is that David spend time talking about things that you cannot get from other media, such as the driving feel, the actual day-to-day experience, engineering backgrounds, the "inside story" and hands-on quality. David shares insightful news and stories from the automotive industry that is interesting, unique, and cool. David is world renowned in Toyota Production System (TPS), Lean Manufacturing, Agile Thinking, and teaches these topics world-wide."

You posted that guy like he knows more than me lol. His name is Toyota Jeff he’s gonna like Toyota.

What excuses/denials you gonna make now to deride David Chao? 😆

Last edited:

LarryT

Follower
Reactions
Hello, I'm an ardent Toyota/Lexus fan and a current subscriber to your YouTube channel. I was wondering if you could expound on if the new 2024 GX is basically a rebadged or badge engineered Toyota Land Cruiser Prado with a different powertrain/styling/mechanical components? Thank you very much for your time.

Automotive Press International

"Yes, both the GX and the Land Cruiser Prado share exact same platform and they are basically the same car with a different engine."

Debate it with an engineer. 🤣

Levi

Expert
Reactions
They're just despondent GX owners/fans trying to retain status quo of the GX now that the similar Land Cruiser (Prado) model will also be sharing the spotlight in the North American/U.S market. 😁
In the Russian market GX and Prado have been sold all these year alongside, the has been no issue for them. They know the GX is a Prado with more luxurious interior and a V8 that the Prado does not have. This generation is the same. That has always been the case with LC/LX and Prado/GX twins.

Would you call the LBX a rebadged Corolla Cross? There are more differences between both even if they have the same engines than there are between the GX and the Prado. If the Prado does not have the V35A it is purely a marketing decision rather than an engineering decision. Old gen Prado 150 could easily get in a swapped 1UR-FE.

LarryT

Follower
Reactions
In the Russian market GX and Prado have been sold all these year alongside, the has been no issue for them. They know the GX is a Prado with more luxurious interior and a V8 that the Prado does not have. This generation is the same. That has always been the case with LC/LX and Prado/GX twins.

Different markets, different clientele base/demographic. There "had been no issue for" Russian customers because both GX/Land Cruiser Prado models had been sold/promoted together in their specific markets for "years" unlike the U.S./North American markets.

UZJ100GXR

Follower
Reactions
The opposite thing happened in the Middle East.
We never got the GX 470 but they sold the GX 460 from 2010-2023 and it never really caught on sales wise. People called it the Lexus Prado and the price overlapped with the price of the LC200 and now the LC300 which are viewed as more prestigious even though its Toyota badge vs Lexus badge but the people just called the GX the lexus Prado.

They even have a joke motto going around " Never take the advice of someone who owns a Lexus Prado"
^ in reference to how they don't know how to spend there money properly so how can they give good advice lol because they could have bought many other vehicles foe the price.

Anyway not denying the GX is actually a great car but it being a lexus prado here basically killed any chance of its success.
Meanwhile the Land Cruiser 200/LX570 and even Prado were killing it sales wise and doing excellent.

Fast forward to MY2024 and we won't be getting the GX 550 as a result, which is a shame because even though it would overlap with LC300 price, it would have sold well I reckon, atleast worth a try.

The issue in the past was the prado was considered ugly by alot of people, it isn't anymore so being a Prado anything shouldn't be as bad now.

Anyway yeah, it's interesting seeing how things work out in different markets.
Sometimes things make sense, sometimes they don't.
It is what it is I suppose and in the end more choice for all is always a good thing!