3.4L TTV6 Engine Failures (V35A-FTS)

Flagship1

Follower
Reactions
20240517_123937-jpg.3653719

Greetings. I'm the tech in Kai's video. My biggest concern is that even though toyota / lexus are warrantying engines due to debris, they will absolutely under no circumstances warranty anything else unless there's "visible" damage. This means the same turbos that have had debris going through the center cartridges will not be replaced.

We've had a v35a with absolutely wrecked camshafts and cam carriers which were replaced under warranty, but they would not let us replace anything else.

Best of luck to LX600 owners !

An update from the mechanic ft in the Tinkers adventure vid wayback when.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Greetings. I'm the tech in Kai's video. My biggest concern is that even though toyota / lexus are warrantying engines due to debris, they will absolutely under no circumstances warranty anything else unless there's "visible" damage. This means the same turbos that have had debris going through the center cartridges will not be replaced.

We've had a v35a with absolutely wrecked camshafts and cam carriers which were replaced under warranty, but they would not let us replace anything else.

If this is true, it is surprising. I'm used to Toyota (and especially Lexus) going above and beyond when things like this happen, and doing what's right for the owner.

I was hoping there was a holistic fix (more comprehensive replacement of critical engine parts?) that would make people happy and put this issue behind us, but if Toyota is only moving to replace components with visual damage, I hope this doesn't become a case of "whack a mole" with people chasing down other issues through ownership. What happens then, and who pays?

If people end up chasing down turbo failures or cam issues after a short block or bearing replacement, it's going to make new and used buyers lose even more confidence in these products which I don't think Toyota can afford.

I hope that whatever official solution Toyota develops is a comprehensive one-and-done solution for impacted owners.

Flagship1

Follower
Reactions
I agree and anything before the official fix is released is conjecture.

To that end, realistically what folks are demanding in this situation and others like this for toyota specifically, to feel whole will typically not match. The situation sucks all around.

-8-9th gen corolla 1zzfe had oil burning issues. Toyota publicly acknowledged said issue only for the 9th generation, and through a series of TSBs ordered all effected customers to bring their engines in for an oil consumption test. More then 1qt/1k miles and the engine was deemed a failure. 8th gen owners were sol, and 9th gen owners only a few failed while most pre facelift 9th gen ended up failing the test post warranty.

-2azfe low tension oil ring failure. First it was a tsb. Then i dont remember if it was a class action or pure customer service that Toyota issued a warranty enhancement program for reimbursement/part replacement.

-Highlander facelift 8 speed at. Similar issue to what toyota is facing now where finding which transmissions are actually effected due to teardown requirements. They identified which production dates were effected, issued a tsb, then a warranty enchancement program. Problem was owners were effected outside the identified range, and toyota told em tough luck.

Ill try to add more examples, if I can, but again the company wants to get this done according to what engineers have identified and what works to get the vehicle back on the road and nothing more.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Replacing the whole engine is a much better fix than what was described before. Glad they stepped up.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The anti-boost crowd conveniently forgot one of the most reliable engine Toyota produces right now is a turbodiesel.

very late, but i can assure you that did not happen.

Hopefully they fixed all the problems.

Flagship1

Follower
Reactions
Current warranty protocols will be the following:

***short block replacements until manufacturing capacity is reached for both in-use warranty support as well as assembly line support; at which time warranty replacements will transition to long block replacements for all in-use vehicles.

***Tundra short blocks will come from US-sourced TMMAL assembly; Yoshiwara trucks will receive Tahara assembly short blocks.

***Long blocks will come on-line, again, with TMMAL for Tundra, Tahara for LX600/LC300 (global platform, TNGA-F)

Current manufacturing capacity lead times for transition from short block to long block: 8-10 months.

Definitions:

TMMAL: Toyota Motor Manufacturing Alabama.

Tahara: Toyota Motor Corporation Tahara Manufacturing Plant.

Tahara manufactured short/long blocks **may be substituted** at the part number level for Tundra application, based on availability. (I’m assuming a number of supply chain caveats for this; will most likely happen only in the most extreme customer service situations.)
i think the smart play would just wait till the long blocks are available or try to get a direct swap trade in or lemon law.

Reactions
Current warranty protocols will be the following:

***short block replacements until manufacturing capacity is reached for both in-use warranty support as well as assembly line support; at which time warranty replacements will transition to long block replacements for all in-use vehicles.

***Tundra short blocks will come from US-sourced TMMAL assembly; Yoshiwara trucks will receive Tahara assembly short blocks.

***Long blocks will come on-line, again, with TMMAL for Tundra, Tahara for LX600/LC300 (global platform, TNGA-F)

Current manufacturing capacity lead times for transition from short block to long block: 8-10 months.

Definitions:

TMMAL: Toyota Motor Manufacturing Alabama.

Tahara: Toyota Motor Corporation Tahara Manufacturing Plant.

Tahara manufactured short/long blocks **may be substituted** at the part number level for Tundra application, based on availability. (I’m assuming a number of supply chain caveats for this; will most likely happen only in the most extreme customer service situations.)

i think the smart play would just wait till the long blocks are available or try to get a direct swap trade in or lemon law.

Dear lord. I have a hard time believing this all due to machining debris. I feel like there's something more to this.

Flagship1

Follower
Reactions
who knows wtf is going on....all i know is that this is bringing Toyota's legendary reliability into question.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Negatives are the same I had before. I really wish this had the 570 split gate. The door is way too long and things fall out even with the net. There should be more innovative cubby solutions. Not the usual doors and glovebox. Wireless charger is useless. Much quicker than the old 570 but thoughts of a higher power V-8 make the mind wonder. Also wish it had the digital mirror.

No one complains about space, compared to the reviewszz

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
I’ve noticed resale took a hit. I think we lost about 10k in a month.

Otherwise the vehicle still has been great. 5 of us using the 3 rows (one rear seat down) with no issues. We just love it. 37k miles now.
View attachment 9500
Almost everything has taken a beating in resale the past couple months. The manufacturers are building at capacity and interest rates are high. Incentives are required to move metal.