3.4L TTV6 Engine Failures (V35A-FTS)

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
The V35 has been in production in the Lexus LS for years before going mainstream in the BOF products. Did these issues also exist back when the LS was the sole V35 application? I don’t recall hearing about V35 failures in the LS, but perhaps that’s just due to the low volume.
There were a few reports on the LS, but due to the low volume it's hard to really figure anything out. The truck version is different from the LS V35, although I don't think the actual rotating assembly is different and that seems to be the focus of the issues.

Brandon B

Fan
Reactions
This is quite the bummer. I am torn on what to do now. I had been set to snag a 2025 GX550 to replace my GX460, but this engine debacle has me concerned. I am assuming Lexus will stand behind it one way or another, but I can imagine the hassle if your particular vehicle needs to be ripped apart.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
fwiw the hybrid short block and non hybrid have different part numbers. Besides the numerical difference is their anything physically different?
I read about this as well - At some point Toyota changed the block part number for all of them (and from what I read, it might have been that all now use the hybrid block?).

Are LC300s seeing the same issues in decent numbers? I would expect so, but the outcry just doesn't seem to be as loud from our Middle Eastern and Aussie brethren. Would be shocked--puzzled really, if those aren't affect.

Yes.

Flagship1

Follower
Reactions
Are LC300s seeing the same issues in decent numbers? I would expect so, but the outcry just doesn't seem to be as loud from our Middle Eastern and Aussie brethren. Would be shocked--puzzled really, if those aren't affect.
Depends on what powertrain is most popular in a particular region ie diesel. There are some owners/mechanics who have posted on the lc300 section from those regions as well. However the protocol for them usually is to keep in communication with their local toyota distributor rather then social media.

Flagship1

Follower
Reactions
The amount of garbage disguised as "absolute truth" is mind boggling.

Summary

-displays a toyota defect report
-goes over the chronology of events in the report
-mentions part of the blame is ever increasing epa demands.
-mentions toyota purposely designed a defective motor as a way of relaying their current feels over increasing emissions demands
-mentions the sales of current generation eclipsing previous generation so Toyota wants to the right thing with recall notices
-casually mentions he is in direct contact with folks who work at Tmc from the mfg line to the person who mops the floor and they all want to do right by the customer.
-says all trucks from all mfgs are facing the same problem....due to emissions regulations....

All he had to do was to go over the Toyota defect report which was new info at least for me....but nope. Youtube University strikes again.

here is a copy of said report

edit: if doom and gloom is your thing about all things v35a

Last edited:

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
This is quite the bummer. I am torn on what to do now. I had been set to snag a 2025 GX550 to replace my GX460, but this engine debacle has me concerned. I am assuming Lexus will stand behind it one way or another, but I can imagine the hassle if your particular vehicle needs to be ripped apart.
It is pretty low risk, IMO. If the public is finding out now, they've been investigating the issue for a long time and likely implemented countermeasures months ago. These things take a long time to sort out between Toyota Motor Corp, Toyota Motor Sales, the US government, etc, so activity at the plants is often way, way ahead of the official recall notices. They don't list any MY24 vehicles on the recall, so it would be pretty safe to assume that the issue was found and corrected prior to MY24 models being manufactured. This isn't like the Takata airbag situation where the manufacturers are reacting to suspect ranges provided by outside suppliers. Toyota will have a pretty good idea of what is actually suspect.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Bad news: 2024 MY Tundras have already had the same engine failure issue, so I assume they'll ultimately be added to the recall. Hopefully things are fixed for 2025 MY?

Good news: Never heard of a GX failure, so I wouldn't be too worried.

Brandon B

Fan
Reactions
You would think by the 2025 MY's the issue would be resolved, but who knows! I will cross my fingers:). It would get awfully expensive if the issue remained much longer!

Flagship1

Follower
Reactions
Toyota has probs employed a dedicated group of engineers, legal, and accounting to come with a solution.

a) replace every truck or make a buyout offer.
b) replace every short block at the dealership
c) replace new engine installed at dealership level as a unit while the defective is sent back to be remaned
d) wait and watch. Replace units on a case by case basis. Offer a good will warranty enchantment program

D will probably what folks will end up with, while A is what most vocal owners will push for. I have seen some folks, overreact or just approach this in the wrong way imo, by going to toyota dealer, and asking to sell their vehicle for $2k even before the recall resolution is issued. They're ok getting scammed by dealers?

That being said if there is a fix at the mfg level that works, you would think that Toyota PR would be pushing that message asap to get ahead of the youtube university informed tundra community?

Last edited:

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
Irrelevant to the v35a but no oil change for 46,000 miles and that's how long tht engine lasted and it's a turbo engine

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
Yes and the second owner drove that 20k more
The original owner neglected the vehicle, not performing oil changes. They then sold it without disclosing that it had been neglected (and damaged). The second owner bought it, thinking that, as a Lexus, it would be a good, reliable vehicle but discovered it burned oil.

In the episode, the Car Care Nut told how he discovered, through back-checking, the history of neglect. He goes on to describe that the 8AR-FTS is a good, reliable engine but this example was heavily damaged through lack of oil changes (showing evidence of cylinder wall damage and how cylinder-piston tolerances have greatly increased through neglect).

The old engine is removed and is replaced by a used engine that was found.

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
The ar engines were pretty well made they are still in production too, the new alphard uses the 2ar engine rather than the a25a which is one of the better tdf engines

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
The original owner neglected the vehicle, not performing oil changes. They then sold it without disclosing that it had been neglected (and damaged). The second owner bought it, thinking that, as a Lexus, it would be a good, reliable vehicle but discovered it burned oil.

In the episode, the Car Care Nut told how he discovered, through back-checking, the history of neglect. He goes on to describe that the 8AR-FTS is a good, reliable engine but this example was heavily damaged through lack of oil changes (showing evidence of cylinder wall damage and how cylinder-piston tolerances have greatly increased through neglect).

The old engine is removed and is replaced by a used engine that was found.
So, another data point to not watch Car Care Nut. The title should be "what it looks like when you skip 4 oil changes" rather than "Lexus Turbo Engine blown". He is intentionally being misleading to gets the clicks. :rolleyes: