CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Where I live I promise you my on road conditions get worse than your off road conditions, and this new NX seems to do pretty well in some real messes.

I think we are oversimplifying the idea of OR.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I guess we are venturing off topic here a bit, but I think there is more to this than just marketing. People really want these types of vehicles and as someone who has done plenty of trail riding, it's not uncommon to see Outbacks, Forresters and the like out on trails. Most of them are people taking a family camping, hiking, to a fishing spot, etc... a number of them are Instagramming and YouTubing :rolleyes:. No doubt that the off roading and "overlanding" scene is playing into that, but a RAV4 TRD Off-Road with DTV AWD and 8.6" of ground clearance is a pretty capable little vehicle for such trips, even if the approach and departure angles aren't great due to bumper designs. It also plays city duty just as well and is a RAV4 at heart -- for most, that is the perfect combination.

I've long said a "compact GX" to stand alongside the NX like RAV4/Venza or RAV4/FJ Cruiser would probably quickly become one of Lexus' most successful products, and I still stand by that. If no such thing is to happen, I can see an NX executed similar to the RAV4 TRD Off-Road as capturing some of those consumers.

In the next few years, you're going to see Lexus leaning harder into their off road capability with both product and marketing. Personally, I think it's a good thing because with new tech and platforms, and the right tires and a slight lift, a unibody product like the NX could still be very capable off road, short of rock climbing which almost nobody actually does. Plus still delivering 95% of the things someone loves about an NX.

There are a lot of negative tradeoffs once you go to a true BOF product: weight, handling, fuel economy, cost. This middle ground of trail-ready versions of core crossover models would be a brilliant one for Lexus.

But let's be honest... the BFG KO2 is overkill for that. Take a page from Toyota's book and go with the Wildpeaks 🤣

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
There may be a market for light offroaders, who are interested in doing the above, but realistically are the majority of new NX owners even considering remotely doing this?

I liken these one off concepts to what BMW does with performance center deliveries with the X series of vehicles, where you could (at least in years past) take one of the demos through a light offroad trail to highlight that BMWs were more then onroad "ultimate driving machines". Wading at max water levels, climb a rock course, etc etc. The KO2s, offroad rack, lifted are all the most popular search terms in the overland/offroad community.

I hope to see more concepts turn into production vehicles, and the iron oxide color become a production color.

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
Always viewed anything short of 4Runner, GX, LX to be highway cruisers, and I think that's more an indictment of the consumers that actually purchase or lease these cars than the capabilities of the cars themselves. They just want the higher ride height and storage advantage without resorting to a minivan, and nothing much more. They have AWD systems sure, but they're more for inclement weather than off-roading, least, that's how I think of it. I also believe that most of the folks buying these would prolly be better off with a sedan, or a minivan for that matter. I can imagine most of the folks remotely interested in this category of cars aren't thinking of hitting the trails, but as CRSKTN notes, the NX is more than enough for nasty roads, and I think that's what buyers want more than anything. Can't wait for them to fit this new design styling and tech into their sedans, I'd grab one of those in a heartbeat.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
@CRSKTN
JDM Noah's Interface system allows HDMI output so you can play videos on the infotainment screen. Does NX have that function or is it illegal in USA? (It's legal in Japan)

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
@CRSKTN
JDM Noah's Interface system allows HDMI output so you can play videos on the infotainment screen. Does NX have that function or is it illegal in USA? (It's legal in Japan)

hmm, not sure. I’ll see if there’s an hdmi port anywhere

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Nobody should be wasting time on Motor1, just my opinion. The points and claims they make are pretty stupid in their reviews. They present their subjective (poor) opinions and present them as fact.

I don’t think you can have real experience with vehicles and not look at car reviewers with a groan and eye rolls, so maybe take my comments with a grain of salt.

car reviewers : real car enthusiasts
As
epic meal time: real food enthusiasts and chefs

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
The motor1 review was a fair assessment. The advantages it gave to each of the brands were in line with what each brand its trying to achieve.

Genesis is trying to establish itself as a brand, by designing things that are unlike anything else out there with some unique design elements while undercutting the competition. It is not leaving room for luxury car purists to claim its "hyundai plus/acura" with bespoke RWD platforms. It needs new conquest customers.

Lexus is trying to address complaints that it is outdated with new tech, and improve its range by offering more variants, performance models, and efficiency. Its needs to keep existing customers.

Two different solutions to two unique problems.

Side note, I do find it interesting that Genesis matches the NX in interior volume, while being a RWD platform.

Last edited:

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
It has to be a longer car no?
According to google results, GV70 is about 2 inches longer, and wider at 186″ L x 75″ W x 64″ H compared to the 2022 NX which is 184″ L x 73″ W x 65-66″ H. Whether that has to do with the mechanicals or simply the exterior design, I cannot be sure of that myself.

Reactions
According to google results, GV70 is about 2 inches longer, and wider at 186″ L x 75″ W x 64″ H compared to the 2022 NX which is 184″ L x 73″ W x 65-66″ H. Whether that has to do with the mechanicals or simply the exterior design, I cannot be sure of that myself.

Wow. 2 inches is quite a bit if we're trying to compare apples to apples however for a RWD platform that's one hell of a package. I can't believe I'm saying this, but well done Genesis.

I also find it cool that the NX is lower and wider lol.

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
Wow. 2 inches is quite a bit if we're trying to compare apples to apples however for a RWD platform that's one hell of a package. I can't believe I'm saying this, but well done Genesis.

I also find it cool that the NX is lower and wider lol.
Y'know one point I remember was being raised by SG when he did is TLX review is whether FWD vs RWD in a car such as this truly matters to the people buying in the luxury segment. That limit handling doesn't matter all that much to the people driving these sorta cars. Yet at the same time in his NX review he mentioned that it being FWD makes this feel not as premium or good for that matter, suppose something in between reviews changed his mind of sorts.
On that note though, kudos to Genesis for making a compelling vehicle, I'll admit it looks great kinda like a wagon version of the G70, which is neat.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
The motor1 review was a fair assessment. The advantages it gave to each of the brands were in line with what each brand its trying to achieve.

Nah, it wasn’t.

Ever since genesis hit the scene I’ve noticed westerners using it as a cudgel against Toyota.

The amount of leeway the brand gets as a “luxury” offering is ridiculous. It’s the epitome of flash over substance, and I’m saying that based on discussions with people who were close to the formation of the brand.

Toyota and other Japanese brands had a lot of friction whenever they brought in Europeans to try and install some of the European genes into Toyota and Lexus offerings.

The Koreans were much more open to accepting new ways of doing things and approaches, from what I was told.

This was done because they knew they couldn’t compete with Toyota on execution. Efficiency was a huge focus of catch up there.

Want to know when you have someone with an axe to grind? They will nearly gaslight you with things like “it’s not much changed on the outside”, when I have parked it next to the old one. I’ve had many people ask me if it’s a new RX. These are not smart people, it’s not that subtle.

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
Nah, it wasn’t.

Ever since genesis hit the scene I’ve noticed westerners using it as a cudgel against Toyota.

The amount of leeway the brand gets as a “luxury” offering is ridiculous. It’s the epitome of flash over substance, and I’m saying that based on discussions with people who were close to the formation of the brand.

Toyota and other Japanese brands had a lot of friction whenever they brought in Europeans to try and install some of the European genes into Toyota and Lexus offerings.

The Koreans were much more open to accepting new ways of doing things and approaches, from what I was told.

This was done because they knew they couldn’t compete with Toyota on execution. Efficiency was a huge focus of catch up there.

Want to know when you have someone with an axe to grind? They will nearly gaslight you with things like “it’s not much changed on the outside”, when I have parked it next to the old one. I’ve had many people ask me if it’s a new RX. These are not smart people, it’s not that subtle.
Y'know comparing your impressions on driving the F-Sport NX vs the article's version has me wondering if they even have the same car lol. Quite the disparity of opinions, especially when it came to their views on the appearance, ACC, and the ride quality. Makes me think they were driving it through gravel roads when reviewing it

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
every opinion is valid, it is perfectly fine to review GV70 better than NX350. Only thing that bugged me for instance was the value part - if they are priced similarly, NX will retain its value way better for resale than Genesis.

In any case, NX450h+ is What Cars Plugin of the Year 2022 in UK:

It has gotten pretty rave reviews in Europe.

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
every opinion is valid, it is perfectly fine to review GV70 better than NX350. Only thing that bugged me for instance was the value part - if they are priced similarly, NX will retain its value way better for resale than Genesis.

In any case, NX450h+ is What Cars Plugin of the Year 2022 in UK:

It has gotten pretty rave reviews in Europe.
If anything I'm glad to see it's doing pretty well all things considered. If anything it has me very excited to see what they have in store going forward to the rest of their lineup.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Of course the GV70 wins the comparison tests as all Genesis products are optimized to appeal to reviewers. That's the only way they get conquest sales otherwise they become another Acura/Infiniti. The fact that they get good packaging from rwd platform is quite nice, as their rwd sedans all have terrible packaging. Actually the G70/80 are what you would expect had Lexus built IS/GS on GA-N: large heavy and cramped.

NX is the direct opposite, Lexus doesn't care about reviews at all and the execution is entirely addressing complaints from previous NX customers. Which Lexus product gets more than 80% score in reviews from major outlets?

I agree Genesis interior designs are really distinctive although the overall quality is still just okay. Lexus interior designs in non-flagship products are getting quite bland.