2021 Toyota Venza (Global Harrier)

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
Is this basically going to be the next NX also?

The harrier is typically based off the RX, while the NX is based off the RAV4 platform?

Edit seems like this may not be correct, as the RX has grown while the harrier has not. So possible this may form the next NX to better compete size wise with the bigger current RDX, GLC, Q5 and such

Last edited:

Jezza819

Follower
Reactions
Not sure. Now we have a few variations of TNGA-K SUVs ranging from RAV4 to Venza/Harrier to Highlander, so the NX could be on the RAV4 or Venza version. It's getting more interesting to think about how NX/RX/RXL will be positioned, especially when you throw in the LF-1.

I was mainly looking at it's specs, 4in. longer, roughly the same width, about an inch or so taller than the current NX. That's what I was basing my theory off of.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I was mainly looking at it's specs, 4in. longer, roughly the same width, about an inch or so taller than the current NX. That's what I was basing my theory off of.

I think a lot of that extra 4 inches is the front overhang. Venza has a lot more of it than the Rav4.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Not sure. Now we have a few variations of TNGA-K SUVs ranging from RAV4 to Venza/Harrier to Highlander, so the NX could be on the RAV4 or Venza version. It's getting more interesting to think about how NX/RX/RXL will be positioned, especially when you throw in the LF-1.

So what if they will give us more GA-K SUV variants , but for Toyota and then putting the next NX/RX on the GA-N???

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
These two products are absolutely going to do well. It also proves that when they want to, this company can deliver some real compelling stuff and innovate a bit too.

This is also why you dont brand or name companies in a way that makes you emotionally invested in keeping a mainstream line as a psuedo flagship.

This is all work that could have reached the venza/harrier nameplate as a derivative product of a Lexus product, but because it is "Toyota", in Japan that means "Toyota" probably has dibs on procuring and prioritizing whatever they need including the attention of decision makers and top technical and artistic talent. This should have been the 2019 RX/NX, trickling down to venza/harrier in the next year or two after that.

Either way, this is good for mainstream consumers, another great option. Curious to see how the sienna does, and if it underpins a new LM.

The institution is filled with too many culturally invested people (true believers) who miss the bigger picture for maintaining what they know. I hope we can get a shakeup, there is so much potential and you see these glimmers of it.

The technical execution on the small exterior details is exciting too for Toyota, excited to see what else they can do.

larryren

Follower
Reactions
Finally the Venza equal USDM version Harrier...
006k5bV0ly1gex29olyz1j30u011gq57.jpg

006k5bV0ly1gex29njojdj30u011gjtg.jpg

006k5bV0ly1gex29oubtxj30u011i403.jpg

mikeavelli

Reactions
Highlander 4950x1930x1730x2850
RAV4 4600x1855x1660x2700
Harrier 4740x1855x1660x2700
Sorry the units are in mm but you get the idea.

So the Harrier/Venza is basically a slightly stretched RAV4. It's not a direct competitor to Passport which is in 4.8m segment. There isn't a lot of 4.7m class SUVs, the only one I can think of is the Volvo XC60.

It also has less cargo room than the RAV-4. Me thinks Toyota sees this as an opportunity to get a buyer who wants something a bit more stylish ala SUV coupes. At least its completely different from the RAV-4 and Highlander. The Passport is pathetic and something GM would have done in the 1980s.

Benito

Fan
Reactions
The Venza is now a super sexy SUV, I’m so happy that the JDM Harrier has made it back to the NA market. The 1st gen RX being the first time the JDM Harrier made it here.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Highlander 4950x1930x1730x2850
RAV4 4600x1855x1660x2700
Harrier 4740x1855x1660x2700
Sorry the units are in mm but you get the idea.

So the Harrier/Venza is basically a slightly stretched RAV4. It's not a direct competitor to Passport which is in 4.8m segment. There isn't a lot of 4.7m class SUVs, the only one I can think of is the Volvo XC60.

it is not really stretched, it is just differently designed front/back so it is little bit longer.

More stylish, sportier Rav4.

I could see this working in Europe, if they ever offer it.

Will1991

Reactions
@spwolf , me too, it looks so much better than the RAV4 in my opinion. And we're getting the Highlander, so it's not that difficult.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
@spwolf , me too, it looks so much better than the RAV4 in my opinion. And we're getting the Highlander, so it's not that difficult.

Yeah, Rav4 is little bit cheap and loud for me at the price in Europe, Venza does look a lot better in that way.

It would be perfect if it had Highlander engine.

On the outside though, Venza is little bit soft looking, it is perfect for conservative US and Japanese markets, I like two tone Rav4 little bit better in that regards, but who knows how Venza looks in real life.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
Finally the Venza equal USDM version Harrier...
006k5bV0ly1gex29olyz1j30u011gq57.jpg

006k5bV0ly1gex29njojdj30u011gjtg.jpg

006k5bV0ly1gex29oubtxj30u011i403.jpg
If the price is right I can see this competing seriously with the RAV4, and the NX will need to step its game up because this will take some sale away from it especially from buyers who don't care about the badge. Whatever happens, this is another sale magnet for Toyota especially since it's just re-badged Harrier.

I wish power was 250 though and not 219.