2021 Toyota Venza (Global Harrier)

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The GAC-Toyota's variant of the Harrier (codename 942B) will be called Frontlander (锋兰达). Previously they already registered trademarks for '峰兰达' and '丰兰达'. All these three names pronounce the same in Chinese but it's uncertain which one will be used.
锋 = blade edge
峰 = mountain peak
丰 = abundance, wealth, also the first character of 丰田 (Toyoda)
All three make sense for marketing.

The 942B program was approved on January 10 (the same day they registered 'Frontlander'), which means production could still be at least 18 months away for ChDM. This coincides with insider knowledge that introduction is October 2021, one year after the Highlander.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
@ssun30 do I remember correctly that they already had Frontlander, but it was just very slightly changed front/back of regular Rav4?

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
Toyota announced that they will be debuting two all-new hybrids on May 18th, 11 am eastern. My guess would be the Sienna and the return of the Venza name. I’m looking forward to it.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Still a pity for the original Venza. It was a different car, a mix between an SUV and an MPV, a little like the Dodge Journey/Fiat Freemont or the new generations Renault Scenic and Espace. I prefer those cars than CUVs. The Ford Edge was also much better IMO than what they have now.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
The last Venza debuted at a time when Toyota was less dynamic, and the styling it had was relatively avant garde. It will be interesting to see what they do with it now... I'd love to see Toyota be similarly bold again with the new model. Being hybrid-only is a good call and way to distinguish among Edge, Murano, Trailblazer, etc. I'll be most interested to see if the general execution is still that of a wagon with extra ground clearance, or if it ends up being more SUV-like given the market.

I assume it will be: Venza, Sienna, Highlander Hybrid, NX 350h, RX 350h all using the same (more powerful) hybrid setup. I would like to get behind the wheel sometime and see what it's like.

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
The last Venza debuted at a time when Toyota was less dynamic, and the styling it had was relatively avant garde. It will be interesting to see what they do with it now... I'd love to see Toyota be similarly bold again with the new model. Being hybrid-only is a good call and way to distinguish among Edge, Murano, Trailblazer, etc. I'll be most interested to see if the general execution is still that of a wagon with extra ground clearance, or if it ends up being more SUV-like given the market.

I assume it will be: Venza, Sienna, Highlander Hybrid, NX 350h, RX 350h all using the same (more powerful) hybrid setup. I would like to get behind the wheel sometime and see what it's like.
The last Venza also debuted during recession. I always thought the Venza was to be a Lexus and at the last moment because of the recession Toyota made changes to make it a Toyota

Reactions
The last Venza also debuted during recession. I always thought the Venza was to be a Lexus and at the last moment because of the recession Toyota made changes to make it a Toyota
It was always destined to be a Toyota. Unfortunately, its interior was designed with some cheap plastic, which some buyers found horrendous for a Toyota product at the time, when they had to cut some corners to cost cut.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I don't have the specs on hand, but am curious to know the size difference with the RAV4 and Highlander.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I don't have the specs on hand, but am curious to know the size difference with the RAV4 and Highlander.
Highlander 4950x1930x1730x2850
RAV4 4600x1855x1660x2700
Harrier 4740x1855x1660x2700
Sorry the units are in mm but you get the idea.

So the Harrier/Venza is basically a slightly stretched RAV4. It's not a direct competitor to Passport which is in 4.8m segment. There isn't a lot of 4.7m class SUVs, the only one I can think of is the Volvo XC60.