2021 Toyota Venza (Global Harrier)

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
No, I think they can but they do it best in their own plants in Japan, but the profit margins are so slim it makes no sense to import them outside of the home market since the cars are made very specifically for the country. Toyota partners up with other companies when it makes good business sense. Profit margins for the previous Yaris were tough having to import from Japan and France, so its not surprising that they could make the Mazda2 into their entry level vehicle that was already being built in Mexico.

good and cheap though? I dont think they can do that... they build good small cars. they can build cheap small cars. But they cant built good and small cheap cars on their own... Etios is the living proof.

Will1991

Reactions
Daihatsu is fully owned by Toyota and they've been developing that DNGA platform, so I think Daihatsu makes much more sense.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Toyota IQ had to be an electric Lexus. Missed opportunity. Where is the LF-SA?

Will1991

Reactions
Toyota made a electric iQ, but it cost 40.000 USD if I believe correctly. Way too much.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
That is what I am saying, it if had an Aston Martin badge, it could easily have a Lexus badge. It was way to expensive for a Toyota, would be ok if a Lexus, seing how expensive the Smart is. Electric city cars do make sense, but they are too expensive for the poor, too few and crappy as a second cars for those than can afford.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
So this JDM Harrier is still just a slightly larger RAV4 instead of the Venza replacement we expected?

It's a 4.7m-class crossover which is not a very popular size (though the early Harrier/RX generations were in this segment). The original Venza was in the 4.8m class. This cannot be a USDM model.

Last edited:

Will1991

Reactions
I'm digging this new rear light bar on new Toyota's/Lexus, looking fresh, with Lexus looking much more high-end as it should.

One of the main features from Tesla I really like is Sentry mode, and it looks like Toyota is trying to catch up:

"The Digital Inner Mirror, used for the first time by Toyota, enables recording of images to the front and rear of the vehicle while driving."

It has a 12.3" infotainment, should be the same from the Highlander. Finally Toyota is getting on par with competition on this, even Dacia's started to have as good or better infotainment than Toyota.

Then there is the electro-chromatic panorama roof, really nice feature.

I know this won't come to Europe, but to be honest, due to the design I believe it would sell more than the RAV4.

b.ba

Fan
Reactions
I know this is a small detail, but if this is only for JDM, I wonder why it has the little orange markers that are required for U.S. markets? The previous generations didn't contain a similar orange marker nor do the other TNGA models (RAV4, Corolla, Camry, etc.) sold in Japan doesn't contain it (while the ones sold in the U.S. do).

Reactions
So this JDM Harrier is still just a slightly larger RAV4 instead of the Venza replacement we expected?

It's a 4.7m-class crossover which is not a very popular size (though the early Harrier/RX generations were in this segment). The original Venza was in the 4.8m class. This cannot be a USDM model.
Was going to say, this would cannibalize the RAV4 if it were the Venza replacement, as it lines look nicer than the NX. Not the droid we were lookin' for.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
With a few tweaks to the front end, this would be a very convincing 2NX from the outside...

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

it is exactly what previous Harrier was, in relation to both Rav4 and NX.

More premium/luxurious/sporty than Rav4 but less luxurious/advanced compared to NX.
It always had unique exterior and interior compared to both.

This new version has smart panoramic glass that can change color to shade better like in airplanes as its cool feature, outside of a lot more premium interior than Rav4.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions

So...first Mirai and now LQ/LF1
In a weird way, the Harrier and Next Generation RX will be on the same platform again after 14 years.

That is unless Lexus has some crazy ideas up their sleeve and the Next Generation RX becomes LF-1, with NX growing bigger to replace it?

Until trademark is filed for LQ 500 or LQ 600, there is no Lexus LQ. LQ was a Toyota concept.