joepac

Fan
Reactions
Nice light strip design. Look forward to it. Who knows maybe this "not a redesign but heavy refresh" is just what the doctor ordered

EDIT: with those vortex generators or whatever those triangle pieces are the lower end of the bumper...maybe its the so called IS-F (dreaming of course)
😂 I'll have some of what you're having 🤙🏼

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I’m just curious to see if it will have the new rumored Lexus infotainment with 14” touch screen...

Other than that, unless it’s coming with a plug, RAV4 Prime pricing will dominate the media. At least should be a clear indication of where the market is going.

Will you go for a 3.3IS hybrid+? I6 + hybrid

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Nice light strip design. Look forward to it. Who knows maybe this "not a redesign but heavy refresh" is just what the doctor ordered

EDIT: with those vortex generators or whatever those triangle pieces are the lower end of the bumper...maybe its the so called IS-F (dreaming of course)

Yeah, you can see 3 rear diffuser fins.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
I'm getting the RC exterior refresh vibes. Especially looking at that tail light. the L just got extended. I hope there's a meaningful power train update or else the L in lexus will mean Loss.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
It's sort of crazy, i'm seeing positive reactions to this in comment sections, with a focus on the IS driving well.

I'm seeing people on car site comment sections expecting the new IS to be a great car to drive, and are saying Lexus is known for having great driving dynamics.

This is insane. What world are we in?!

Levi

Expert
Reactions
There are not many secrets left in driving dynamics, and now every carmaker can do that (except Audi somehow). Look at Jaguar, Alfa, Cadillac... Now it is more about screens and 'safety' (because drivers are now so unsafe with all those screens and information overload).

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
Sorry, look at the images again and the positioning if the taillights relative to the sides of the car.

It's not even close. The old IS (which I had one of), has taillights that sit on the corners and wrap around. This doesnt look that way.

View attachment 4042

View attachment 4043

Look at how high up the haunches/rear fender flares are compared to the current one.

This thing looks like a four door coupe. I am getting flashbacks to the LFX and LFS concepts.

I'm calling current RC resemblance for the rear. Even better if it's coupe like. I also expect a reasonable power increase or an additional model 500/F

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
It's sort of crazy, i'm seeing positive reactions to this in comment sections, with a focus on the IS driving well.

I'm seeing people on car site comment sections expecting the new IS to be a great car to drive, and are saying Lexus is known for having great driving dynamics.

This is insane. What world are we in?!

Dopamine rush is a hell of phenomenon. At this point, Lexus fan or not, new product is new product. There will be time to continue assessing lexus spiral into oblivion or the moon after the launch as usual.

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
New IS Not Coming to UK or Europe

And with the teaser comes some hidden news to the US contingent on here.

Whilst Lexus obviously have the data, I can safely say that I see the IS in a ratio of about 10:1 to the new ES. Not sure why it’s being dropped altogether...

On the other hand, commenting on the refresh teaser, I can’t help but worry that Lexus risk going down a bit of a cookie-cutter look with this full width rear light thing. First UX, then LS+ concept, then LF-1, then LM and now this. Maybe they should have kept this light signature for SUVs and the LM, and something else for traditional vehicles.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions

Whilst Lexus obviously have the data, I can safely say that I see the IS in a ratio of about 10:1 to the new ES. Not sure why it’s being dropped altogether...

On the other hand, commenting on the refresh teaser, I can’t help but worry that Lexus risk going down a bit of a cookie-cutter look with this full width rear light thing. First UX, then LS+ concept, then LF-1, then LM and now this. Maybe they should have kept this light signature for SUVs and the LM, and something else for traditional vehicles.

Only 1 broadly available vehicle has the light bar. LM is extremely limited, and the others you mentioned are concepts. I think they have time before it becomes "cookie cutter", which by the way means a quick and easy replica of other's work. A consistent design language isnt necessarily cookie cutter.

I'd call the C E S from Benz cookie cutter design more than this.

Also 2 to 1 sales of ES to IS in Europe, interesting.

I am beginning to think this will have diff dimensions that the current one, eg wheelbase and total size.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

this definetly confirms it will not be a hugely changed model, if they will essentially stop IS sales in Europe.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
So, will they make it with same Yaris case
One for NA totally different from the non NA markets or they won't ever sell it again?

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
So, will they make it with same Yaris case
One for NA totally different from the non NA markets or they won't ever sell it again?

The IS has always been one of the few cars Lexus can shift in bulk here. To kill it altogether is ludicrous. But then again, this is the same Lexus who compete a 10 year old CT against the MBUX toting A-Class.

Will1991

Reactions

This is depressing... Now I’m starting to loose faith in Lexus...

A base spec ES300h is around the same pricing of a full spec IS300h!
Maybe the latter isn’t selling all that good because of how much better the entire competition is getting???

What this means to Lexus Europe?
a)CT is dead as it get, so latter this year should be killed, meaning Lexus won’t have a C and D segment sedan.
b)Both CT and IS are replaced by the rumored (some years ago) 2 gen-CT sedan, being this the other Hybrid/PHEV on @ssun30 chart for this year.
c)TMC is looking for how much crap can do to Lexus and keep it on life support

Either way... C’mon... Don’t kill the IS...

Europe don’t getting this new IS... Really hope this doesn’t mean in 2/3 years we won’t get any sedan other than the ES/LS (as someone said a while ago around here)...

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
This is depressing... Now I’m starting to loose faith in Lexus...

A base spec ES300h is around the same pricing of a full spec IS300h!
Maybe the latter isn’t selling all that good because of how much better the entire competition is getting???

What this means to Lexus Europe?
a)CT is dead as it get, so latter this year should be killed, meaning Lexus won’t have a C and D segment sedan.
b)Both CT and IS are replaced by the rumored (some years ago) 2 gen-CT sedan, being this the other Hybrid/PHEV on @ssun30 chart for this year.
c)TMC is looking for how much crap can do to Lexus and keep it on life support

Either way... C’mon... Don’t kill the IS...

Europe don’t getting this new IS... Really hope this doesn’t mean in 2/3 years we won’t get any sedan other than the ES/LS...

not sure why are you connecting CT and IS. I doubt they would give all this support to CT, just to kill it this year. That thing will get a new model, whenever that is.

On the other hand, obviously the decision has been made that IS will not be longer a feature in Europe. With European CAFE getting stricter, it also might make sense for TMME not to sell relatively high CO2 and yet low profit IS in EU. They might save those credits for NX/RX/etc.

Will1991

Reactions
not sure why are you connecting CT and IS. I doubt they would give all this support to CT, just to kill it this year. That thing will get a new model, whenever that is.

On the other hand, obviously the decision has been made that IS will not be longer a feature in Europe. With European CAFE getting stricter, it also might make sense for TMME not to sell relatively high CO2 and yet low profit IS in EU. They might save those credits for NX/RX/etc.

Some time after the second CT facelift, Lexus Europe boss stated that the car ‘was good for another 24-36 months’... This deadline is ending around latter this year...

And the RX doesn’t sell all that much around Europe...

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
@Will1991 , I started to feel your same feelings, and maybe that's their real plan, bad day though

At least there's still hope that LS / LC will continue as much as Lexus as a brand and maybe beyond

Returning to my crazy puzzles, what if the old rumors that the next IS will be based on Mazda i6 engines is somehow true

One for NA and one for non NA

Will1991

Reactions
@maiaramdan , I don’t see it happening...

In a world increasingly global with global models (Harrier/Venza for example, Avensis replaces by the Camry), it doesn’t do any sense to Lexus to do two different models for EU and USA...

Even the ES found its way into Europe...

I don’t know who said it, but after this I must give it to you... It really seems that TMC is trying to turn Lexus into a Porsche competitor while Toyota is getting some new models to go against BMW/Mercedes...