sl0519

Admirer
Reactions
This is my reason for wanting it in the IS. The LS is a Luxury sedan First. The IS is a sport sedan. So, I expect a different tune from Lexus to serve that purpose. Also having the engine in the IS will expose it more to the aftermarket tuner crowd and show us how far it can be pushed.

Just make a new inline 6 already. Apart from big torque number, I don't know what else it does better than B58.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
Per Kirk’s video posted above, the IS will get another refresh and lose both the 3.5 V6 and turbo 4. Engine options will be 2.5 hybrid or 5.0 V8.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Per Kirk’s video posted above, the IS will get another refresh and lose both the 3.5 V6 and turbo 4. Engine options will be 2.5 hybrid or 5.0 V8.
What performance numbers is the FR 2.5 hybrid seeing in the Japanese models? I figure somewhere in the 245hp range, 0-60 in the high 6 ballpark?

Levi

Expert
Reactions
What performance numbers is the FR 2.5 hybrid seeing in the Japanese models? I figure somewhere in the 245hp range, 0-60 in the high 6 ballpark?
Not the same engine. I doubt they will give it the latest 2.5 hybrid.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
I’m not sure, but I assume it would use the same multistage hybrid setup that is in the Crown Sedan. That’s good for 241hp.

If all this is true, it sounds like we will no longer have an AWD IS as an option.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions

It's not very good.
Kinda bizarre the way the engine takes 7 seconds to get to redline after it has hit 100kph. Hopefully they eCVT side has improved since that is an older HEV system. The FF ones are significantly better from a driveability and performance perspective.

That is probably an AR engine, too, right?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
That article is so bad they did no fact checking. You don't need to understand Japanese as the automatic translated subtitles get the main information right most of the time.

The 30% figure is not the efficiency gain, but how much power current engines will lose when future emissions regulations are implemented.

Kinda bizarre the way the engine takes 7 seconds to get to redline after it has hit 100kph. Hopefully they eCVT side has improved since that is an older HEV system. The FF ones are significantly better from a driveability and performance perspective.

That is probably an AR engine, too, right?
The engine is 2AR-FSE. The S220 Crown 2.5 hybrid uses A25 but the rest of the hybrid system was the same.