CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Hold up I'm watching the video on Instagram and I think I hear a turbo whine. Maybe I'm just tripping. Remember engine choice is not confirmed yet and lexus keep saying best IS so far.

I swear I was hearing things but I think you're right.

Can someone else chime in on this. I had the previous is with this engine and it wined a bit but not like this.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
A lot of my fellow RCF owners are former ISF owners.

IS500 without F treatment makes no sense to me. It will have the horsepower, but not the chassis, brakes and suspension tuning required to be a good track car while still being expensive (because the engine is expensive to produce). I think it needs to be a full blown ISF, if they are going to put the 5.0 liter V8 and just under 500 HP. Otherwise, put the V35a engine with 416 HP, if it needs to be IS500.

Do they have built inventory of engines? Maybe willing to burn margin to turn engine inventory into marketshare and goodwill?

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Do they have built inventory of engines? Maybe willing to burn margin to turn engine inventory into marketshare and goodwill?

Strongly doubt that. The engine is built for the RCF and LC500 so they will have to build the engine specifically for the IS500. Considering we never saw a mysterious IS mule lapping the Nürburgring, it is hard to say what this car is going to have.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
With due respect to the LC500, there is a reason why Lexus did not put an F badge on it You have to go underneath to realize Lexus saved money and effort on the hardware for track use. Does not have the cooling systems for the oil, transmission and brakes, does not have F brakes, does not have the beefed up differential or torque vectoring to withstand hard turning over sustained period of time. The suspension tuning is also more for comfort than for hard track driving..

I get that but also remember the IS 500 can get the F sport treatment which the LC did not get. But knowing lexus you might be right.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
I get that but also remember the IS 500 can get the F sport treatment which the LC did not get. But knowing lexus you might be right.

Yeah, it might very well be the case if they fit the 5.0 Liter V8 with 472 HP. It will end up being the same price as an RCF so why would Lexus not just call it a 2nd gen ISF because it will have similar performance/handling as an RCF? An IS500 with 400 HP V35a will fall right in with the likes of a C43, m340i, KIA Stinger GT etc. and priced to compete with these cars.

b.ba

Fan
Reactions
Exterior looks sharp — literally. IS was always a good design and what they’ve done here is a very nice update. I dig it and want to see the triple LEDs. Also interested to see non F-Sport model.

Interior is very strange and disappointing... circular vents on the outside of the dash mixed with rectangular vents on the inside is a downgrade from the current ca. Bigger touch screen is a nice addition but the steering wheel, dash and center console need a lot of work.

Carryover engines are disappointing but expected I guess.

95% carryover interior is kind of shocking to me. I guess Lexus is really banking on exterior design to sell the car since the engines and interior are not particularly competitive. Pricing will be interesting.

To echo what @Gecko said, my excitement for the new IS was tapered when I saw the interior. Don't get me wrong, I love how they updated the exterior, but I guess I was hoping for some of the magic I saw in the LC and LS to trickle down into the IS too. It just boggles my mind how the UX got the newer corporate steering wheel while the IS retains its previous generation design. It feels like they only did barely enough to make it seem like they still care about the IS.

My only hope is that, like others have speculated so far, this is a stopgap solution and that something is coming along in the product pipeline in the next few years.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Looking at this on my computer vs phone now and I'm a bit more confused than I was before. It looks like nearly every exterior panel of the car was redesigned: hood, front fenders, doors, front bumpers, rear bumpers, rear fenders, etc. On one hand, I admire the work that was put into completely redesigning the exterior of a 7 year old car. It was clearly a lot, and it looks good.

On the other hand, I have to think that just redesigning the lights, grills, front bumpers and side skirts - then saving all of the extra money for a complete dash redesign - would have been better spent. Or new powertrains, even if it was just increasing the redline. We're so starved for performance-oriented Lexus product that even upping the redline to 7,000 rpm and something like 330hp/290lb-ft would have sent the Lexus faithful wild and probably to the dealership with deposits in hand.

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
Strongly doubt that. The engine is built for the RCF and LC500 so they will have to build the engine specifically for the IS500. Considering we never saw a mysterious IS mule lapping the Nürburgring, it is hard to say what this car is going to have.

The previous Gen IS used the 5.0. i am sure it would fit in the refresh of the current model?

b.ba

Fan
Reactions
I swear I was hearing things but I think you're right.

Can someone else chime in on this. I had the previous is with this engine and it wined a bit but not like this.
@CRSKTN I've been trying to decipher this too, and after watching the leaked video a few times I looked up YouTube videos of the exhaust note of the IS350 and I think if you go to 1:05 of the link below they sound quite similar.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I really hope they retune the 350 engine to its full potential if they are keeping it. First let it Rev to 7k+ rpm like we know it can. Give it more hp and tq. And tune the transmission aggressively like the 06 which could go 0-60 at 4.7secs.

The first round of GR V6s (2GR-FSE and 2GR-FE) mated to 6ATs were the best they ever had - and noticeably faster than later models. As they moved to the 2GR-FKS and added the 8ATs, the powertrain lost it's edge, IMO.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
So what you mean that they would have to build it out specific?

I was responding to the question that the 2UR specifically has to be manufactured for the car it needs to go in. It is not a mass produced engine so Lexus makes it in specific quantities so spares are out of question. That makes it more expensive to manufacture.

Last edited:

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
The first round of GR V6s (2GR-FSE and 2GR-FE) mated to 6ATs were the best they ever had - and noticeably faster than later models. As they moved to the 2GR-FKS and added the 8ATs, the powertrain lost it's edge, IMO.
With my 2IS (2GR-FSE / 6AT) nearing its first decade with me and having driven 3IS (2GR w/8AT) on a number of occasions, I wholeheartedly agree.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I am not sure the UR V8 will fit in the 3IS - Lexus themselves have said the third generation car is too snug, thus there not being a 2nd gen IS F. Keep in mind the RC uses the front sub frame from a GS, not an IS, and that is likely to make room for the V8 in the RC F. Just making the RC an IS coupe all the way around would have been a lot easier (and cheaper)... there is a reason they specifically used GS parts for the front and IS parts at the middle and rear.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
I agree to a certain degree. RCF engine bay is wider than the 3IS engine bay and also longer, but the V8 engine is a snug fit. Take a look

2016-lexus-rcf-IMG_7938.jpg

I am not sure the UR V8 will fit in the 3IS - Lexus themselves have said the third generation car is too snug, thus there not being a 2nd gen IS F. Keep in mind the RC uses the front sub frame from a GS, not an IS, and that is likely to make room for the V8 in the RC F. Just making the RC an IS coupe all the way around would have been a lot easier (and cheaper)... there is a reason they specifically used GS parts for the front and IS parts at the middle and rear.