2019 Toyota Avalon Master Thread

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
~2,500/mo isn't too bad for USA... but not sure how long it will stay at those levels. AWD and TRD models will help a little, I assume.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
~2,500/mo isn't too bad for USA... but not sure how long it will stay at those levels. AWD and TRD models will help a little, I assume.

i think their goal was 40k/yr, but I might be completely wrong... ES was 50k/yr that I am sure of.

Motor

Expert
Reactions
Distinct styling and enhanced performance go a long way in Avalon TRD. See what our TRD team members have to say about the refinement and aggressiveness only Avalon TRD can deliver.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The FAW-Toyota Avalon has been officially released in China with very aggressive pricing. Previously it was speculated the car will match the Cadillac XT4/Nissan Cima (Maxima)/Crown as an entry-level full-size premium sedan. However it actually undercuts the Camry!

2.5 LE ¥208,800
2.5 Touring ¥244,800
Hybrid LE ¥226,800
Hybrid LE Premium ¥239,800
Hybrid XLE ¥257,800
Hybrid Limited ¥289,800

The Camry has the following lineup
2.5 XLE ¥219,800
2.5 XSE ¥222,800
2.5 Limited ¥259,800
Hybrid XLE ¥239,800
Hybrid XSE ¥242,800
Hybrid Limited ¥279,800

What's really interesting is that GAC actually has a more premium-focused Camry lineup than the Avalon. For example the LE and SE is not even offered with a 2.5L engine (only for 2.0L). A Camry will generally offer more features at a slightly higher price.

It's really interesting that unless you go to the very top, a Camry is a more premium car than the Avalon, which is opposite to the situation in USDM. The Avalon is very competitive in its segment, however it still needs that base 2.0L and SE/XSE to truly match the sales figures of the Camry. Just like in the U.S. the SE/XSE are the most popular trims in China.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The FAW-Toyota Avalon has been officially released in China with very aggressive pricing. Previously it was speculated the car will match the Cadillac XT4/Nissan Cima (Maxima)/Crown as an entry-level full-size premium sedan. However it actually undercuts the Camry!

2.5 LE ¥208,800
2.5 Touring ¥244,800
Hybrid LE ¥226,800
Hybrid LE Premium ¥239,800
Hybrid XLE ¥257,800
Hybrid Limited ¥289,800

The Camry has the following lineup
2.5 XLE ¥219,800
2.5 XSE ¥222,800
2.5 Limited ¥259,800
Hybrid XLE ¥239,800
Hybrid XSE ¥242,800
Hybrid Limited ¥279,800

What's really interesting is that GAC actually has a more premium-focused Camry lineup than the Avalon. For example the LE and SE is not even offered with a 2.5L engine (only for 2.0L). A Camry will generally offer more features at a slightly higher price.

It's really interesting that unless you go to the very top, a Camry is a more premium car than the Avalon, which is opposite to the situation in USDM. The Avalon is very competitive in its segment, however it still needs that base 2.0L and SE/XSE to truly match the sales figures of the Camry. Just like in the U.S. the SE/XSE are the most popular trims in China.

I would guess it is because Camry with 2.0l is much cheaper?

And good for Avalon, obviously they want to sell large numbers.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
One more interesting thing I found about the Avalon is that adaptive variable suspension is standard on both the 2.5 LE and 2.5 Touring (but not offered on any Hybrid). It's really unique to have this feature for such a cheap vehicle. You can't get AVS on any ES sold in China, and in U.S. you only get AVS on ES F-Sport and Avalon XSE trims.

Even more interesting is that all Avalon and Camry trims above ¥240k come standard with reclining heated rear seats with central arm rest console. Again this is a unique feature at such low prices. On the ES one can only get upgraded rear row on the top-of-the-line ES300h Executive.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
When will this and the Camry get an all new dynamic force engine that replaces the GR V6?

Probably not during this generation... 300hp V6 is plenty, it's a proven engine, and at this point, it's basically the only NA V6 when Toyota's own research has shown it's buyers prize the smoothness and NVH of a V6.

Reactions
I hope they get them at their refreshes. It will make sense especially if the next gen Highlander and Sienna debut with them. Camry refresh should be 2021 model year and Avalon a 2022.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I think your best bet for a Highlander engine change will be the hybrid, since that's what is shared with the RX. I would bet most of what I own that the Highlander will debut with the 2GR-FKS... there is really no need for more power than that at this point.

RX is another story, however.

Reactions
The current V6 is old though. They will have to replace it eventually neither with a turbocharged four cylinder or a smaller displacement turbocharged six cylinder. Toyota did said that they’re replacing most of their engines with new dynamic force options in the future.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
The current V6 is old though. They will have to replace it eventually neither with a turbocharged four cylinder or a smaller displacement turbocharged six cylinder. Toyota did said that they’re replacing most of their engines with new dynamic force options in the future.

You aren't wrong, but knowing Toyota, they will likely look at the competition and not see any reason to upgrade. Personally, I will be happy with the N/A V6 over a turbo 4 for a long time to come. With the way that SUVs are taking over, it's very plausible that in the future, we won't even get a "more powerful" Camry variant.

A more powerful V6 in a FWD car would be a disaster, IMO. Even as an enthusiast, I'm not particularly interested in that idea unless it comes bundled with AWD... which we know is coming.

Reactions
You aren't wrong, but knowing Toyota, they will likely look at the competition and not see any reason to upgrade. Personally, I will be happy with the N/A V6 over a turbo 4 for a long time to come. With the way that SUVs are taking over, it's very plausible that in the future, we won't even get a "more powerful" Camry variant.

A more powerful V6 in a FWD car would be a disaster, IMO. Even as an enthusiast, I'm not particularly interested in that idea unless it comes bundled with AWD... which we know is coming.
What about a single turbo V6 from the Lexus LS with 330 to 350 hp replaces the Gr V6? Will be a good option with all that torque. Been hearing rumors of 2.4 liter or 2.5 liter turbocharged engine replacing the Gr V6 engine too.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
What about a single turbo V6 from the Lexus LS with 330 to 350 hp replaces the Gr V6? Will be a good option with all that torque. Been hearing rumors of 2.4 liter or 2.5 liter turbocharged engine replacing the Gr V6 engine too.

... In a Camry?

Also, it is not so easy as to just drop a turbo off an engine. The V35A-FTS was designed from the ground up as an integrated twin-turbo unit, so there won't just be a "single turbo" version. It's very different from the old aftermarket days where you can lob off or bolt on turbos.

Also that engine is in an $80k Lexus vehicle. The average transaction price for a Camry is around $28k... that engine is a total mismatch for a FWD, volume family sedan in every sense of the word.

Reactions
Yeah. You’re probably right. Maybe the rumor 2.5 liter turbocharged engine with about 330 ish hp and way more torque will be a good enough replacement.