2019 Toyota Avalon Master Thread

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Joaquin Ruhi, Dec 8, 2017.

1. ssun30
    Single turbo V6 with a 60-degree Vee is the worst possible engine configuration because you have to run the exhaust header all the way around to the other side. It has terrible packaging, efficiency, and response. It is not going to reduce any cost because of extra R&D and the lack of parts sharing: different header, plumbing, intercooler, and turbo. That's why all modern 60-degree V6s are twin turbo. It's much easier and cheaper to just detune the twin-turbo engine. The only feasible layout for single turbo six cylinder is either Inline-6 or 90-degree V6, neither of which can be used on a transverse platform.

Gecko and Joaquin Ruhi like this.
  2. Bluesuprarcf52
    What dynamic force engine type will replace the Gr V6 then?

3. Gecko
    Gecko Staff Member Administrator
    This has been heavily discussed, but it seems like the most logical option is a 2.4/2.5L turbo four cylinder. However, there is some concern about whether or not such an engine would be a good choice in heavy SUVs and trucks like 4Runner, Highlander, Tacoma, etc.

flexus likes this.
  4. F1 Silver Arrows
    This is why I am saying that everything will need to switch to a longitudinal/RWD platform with AWD available. This can't go on forever and Lexus knows it. We all know it.

5. Gecko
    Gecko Staff Member Administrator
    As much as I love that plan, I think Toyota sees electrification and hybrids as the great equalizer - and why they'll possibly even move the entire unibody lineup to be FWD/AWD electric/hybrid. They will certainly go all FWD before they go all RWD.

Joaquin Ruhi likes this.
  6. F1 Silver Arrows
    But here's where I start thinking, would it be viable? They would lose a lot of customers due to that. Yes. I know the ES and RX are the best sellers and they're FWD. But there are two things to consider, first thing being that other cars in their lineup that are RWD are seriously selling well (LX, GX, IS to name a few and LS/LC to a lesser extent). And two, the ES and RX are doing the best for FWD cars right now. But could they go beyond that? I genuinely doubt it. And plus, there are some cars and trucks that make zero sense going FWD (LS, LC, LX, GX are the biggest examples).

You also mention full on electric or hybrid vehicles. Which luxury company has full on electric vehicles (not even counting hybrids) but are FWD? Lexus better think about what they're doing. They have a chance to leapfrog BMW and Mercedes-Benz in terms of sales and be the best. They MUST consider the inevitable.

Joaquin Ruhi likes this.
  7. ssun30
    The IS will see five times more sales world wide if it switches to FWD and slots below the ES, that's the scary part. IMO that's the only model they are going to switch to FWD in the near future. Of course all their flagships and BOF models will stay longitudinal.

For hybrids and plug-ins a transverse platform works better. For BEV a platform with longitudinal-like proportions is better. Which one to choose depends on priorities.

8. mikeavelli
    mikeavelli Staff Member Moderator
    Anyone notice Buick is dropping the Lacrosse.... so basically its what Avalon and Impala left here? Am I missing anyone that offers a large sedan in this price range?

Trexus likes this.
  9. Joaquin Ruhi
    Joaquin Ruhi Staff Member Moderator
    Large non-luxury brand FWD sedans? Besides now-dead Buick LaCrosse, Hyundai Azera, Ford Taurus and Impala's short reprieve until January 2020? I think what's left is Toyota Avalon, Nissan Maxima and Kia Cadenza. If you prefer RWD, there are the MoPar twins (Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger) plus Kia K900.

10. F1 Silver Arrows
    Don't forget. A new entry has arrived from VW. The Arteon.

Ian Schmidt likes this.
  11. Ian Schmidt
    Ian Schmidt Staff Member Moderator
    In pictures the Arteon looks to have a really, really short roof. I hope for the sake of continued choice in the sedan segment that it isn't actually as tiny as it looks.

F1 Silver Arrows likes this.
  12. mmcartalk
    Come on, Mike....could I NOT notice? (Just kidding). When Mary Barra announced it, it hit me like a ton of bricks....still disturbs my sleep, at least to some extent.

There's the Kia Cadenza, Genesis G80, and, as you note, the Impala and Avalon. The Lexus ES350 could also be consider in this class, though it's slightly smaller.

mikeavelli and Ian Schmidt like this.
  13. Motor
    Toyota takes engine growl mainstream
    https://www.autonews.com/technology/toyota-takes-engine-growl-mainstream

mikeavelli likes this.
  14. mikeavelli
    mikeavelli Staff Member Moderator
    Every time I see one I say out loud "I can't believe thats an Avalon" lol... what a nice looking car.

Trexus likes this.