2019 Toyota Avalon Master Thread

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
What about a single turbo V6 from the Lexus LS with 330 to 350 hp replaces the Gr V6? Will be a good option with all that torque. Been hearing rumors of 2.4 liter or 2.5 liter turbocharged engine replacing the Gr V6 engine too.

Single turbo V6 with a 60-degree Vee is the worst possible engine configuration because you have to run the exhaust header all the way around to the other side. It has terrible packaging, efficiency, and response. It is not going to reduce any cost because of extra R&D and the lack of parts sharing: different header, plumbing, intercooler, and turbo. That's why all modern 60-degree V6s are twin turbo. It's much easier and cheaper to just detune the twin-turbo engine. The only feasible layout for single turbo six cylinder is either Inline-6 or 90-degree V6, neither of which can be used on a transverse platform.

Reactions
Single turbo V6 with a 60-degree Vee is the worst possible engine configuration because you have to run the exhaust header all the way around to the other side. It has terrible packaging, efficiency, and response. It is not going to reduce any cost because of extra R&D and the lack of parts sharing: different header, plumbing, intercooler, and turbo. That's why all modern 60-degree V6s are twin turbo. It's much easier and cheaper to just detune the twin-turbo engine. The only feasible layout for single turbo six cylinder is either Inline-6 or 90-degree V6, neither of which can be used on a transverse platform.
What dynamic force engine type will replace the Gr V6 then?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
What dynamic force engine type will replace the Gr V6 then?

This has been heavily discussed, but it seems like the most logical option is a 2.4/2.5L turbo four cylinder. However, there is some concern about whether or not such an engine would be a good choice in heavy SUVs and trucks like 4Runner, Highlander, Tacoma, etc.

Reactions
This is why I am saying that everything will need to switch to a longitudinal/RWD platform with AWD available. This can't go on forever and Lexus knows it. We all know it.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
This is why I am saying that everything will need to switch to a longitudinal/RWD platform with AWD available. This can't go on forever and Lexus knows it. We all know it.

As much as I love that plan, I think Toyota sees electrification and hybrids as the great equalizer - and why they'll possibly even move the entire unibody lineup to be FWD/AWD electric/hybrid. They will certainly go all FWD before they go all RWD.

Reactions
As much as I love that plan, I think Toyota sees electrification and hybrids as the great equalizer - and why they'll possibly even move the entire unibody lineup to be FWD/AWD electric/hybrid. They will certainly go all FWD before they go all RWD.

But here's where I start thinking, would it be viable? They would lose a lot of customers due to that. Yes. I know the ES and RX are the best sellers and they're FWD. But there are two things to consider, first thing being that other cars in their lineup that are RWD are seriously selling well (LX, GX, IS to name a few and LS/LC to a lesser extent). And two, the ES and RX are doing the best for FWD cars right now. But could they go beyond that? I genuinely doubt it. And plus, there are some cars and trucks that make zero sense going FWD (LS, LC, LX, GX are the biggest examples).

You also mention full on electric or hybrid vehicles. Which luxury company has full on electric vehicles (not even counting hybrids) but are FWD? Lexus better think about what they're doing. They have a chance to leapfrog BMW and Mercedes-Benz in terms of sales and be the best. They MUST consider the inevitable.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
They would lose a lot of customers due to that.

The IS will see five times more sales world wide if it switches to FWD and slots below the ES, that's the scary part. IMO that's the only model they are going to switch to FWD in the near future. Of course all their flagships and BOF models will stay longitudinal.

You also mention full on electric or hybrid vehicles. Which luxury company has full on electric vehicles (not even counting hybrids) but are FWD? Lexus better think about what they're doing. They have a chance to leapfrog BMW and Mercedes-Benz in terms of sales and be the best. They MUST consider the inevitable.

For hybrids and plug-ins a transverse platform works better. For BEV a platform with longitudinal-like proportions is better. Which one to choose depends on priorities.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Anyone notice Buick is dropping the Lacrosse.... so basically its what Avalon and Impala left here? Am I missing anyone that offers a large sedan in this price range?

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Anyone notice Buick is dropping the Lacrosse.... so basically its what Avalon and Impala left here? Am I missing anyone that offers a large sedan in this price range?
Large non-luxury brand FWD sedans? Besides now-dead Buick LaCrosse, Hyundai Azera, Ford Taurus and Impala's short reprieve until January 2020? I think what's left is Toyota Avalon, Nissan Maxima and Kia Cadenza. If you prefer RWD, there are the MoPar twins (Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger) plus Kia K900.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
In pictures the Arteon looks to have a really, really short roof. I hope for the sake of continued choice in the sedan segment that it isn't actually as tiny as it looks.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Anyone notice Buick is dropping the Lacrosse...

Come on, Mike....could I NOT notice? (Just kidding). When Mary Barra announced it, it hit me like a ton of bricks....still disturbs my sleep, at least to some extent.

so basically its what Avalon and Impala left here? Am I missing anyone that offers a large sedan in this price range?

There's the Kia Cadenza, Genesis G80, and, as you note, the Impala and Avalon. The Lexus ES350 could also be consider in this class, though it's slightly smaller.

Motor

Expert
Reactions
Toyota takes engine growl mainstream
The sound of silence is normally a prized commodity inside a car cabin. But not when there's a satisfying growl from something lean, mean and not so green under the hood.

Or if, as in Toyota's case, you want to burnish the street cred of a product that's trying to break out of its mold for being a staid and steady choice of the over-60 set.

That's a big reason Toyota is expanding its use of a technology that pumps its engine sound directly into the cockpit for an extra adrenaline boost. Toyota calls it an intake sound generator, or ISG, and the component makes its latest appearance in the 2019 Avalon sedan.

Such growls previously were reserved for high-performance models, such as Lexus entries. But Toyota is taking it mainstream as the brand races to shed its reputation for ho-hum rides.

The automaker believes the system — combined with exhaust baffle tuning, active noise control and engine sound enhancement — complements the Avalon's "thrilling drive personality."

Other luxury and performance brands have supplemented their engine sounds but typically go heavy on digital enhancement. Toyota's approach goes more natural.

In Lexus models, the system amplifies air intake by pumping it from the intake manifold through a diaphragm and a tube that's aimed at the firewall separating the cabin from the engine bay. It's not filtered electronically through a speaker.

"ISG amplifies the engine's air inhalation sound to create robust vocalization and, on the exhalation end, the all-new exhaust with baffle tuning ups the sound character at startup, idle and acceleration," Toyota says. "Avalon's refined acoustic repertoire spans inside and out."
https://www.autonews.com/technology/toyota-takes-engine-growl-mainstream

Reactions
I've seen reports that new Avalons can be had for as much as $10K off MSRP, at least for the top of the line trims. That's a smokin' deal
My neighbor got $7K off the Limited in about April. My sense is that discounts may be increasing, or it may just be an end of the year thing.