2018 LS Master Thread (Debuts 1/9/17 8:30am -2017 NAIAS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
View attachment 1657 Yet another covered look of the new LS...

Wow crazy, even with the heavy and tricky camouflage, they're using a car cover on top of that. We're talking extreme secrecy folks! Thanks for those shots, I spotted an A8 alongside it. Now only waiting to spot an S Class alongside this mule or any other future mules.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
These are more or less of the same spy shots previously shown... Current gen LS body, 2IS headlights, etc. likely using for testing new engines in high altitudes.

Where did these photos come from? Source please. :D

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
The Century for decades, has been almost exclusively a Japan market-only product. Outside of Japan and I believe maybe a couple of neighboring Asian markets, the Century has never been sold anywhere else. With a rumored next-generation Century said to be coming, I don't see any of this changing. However rumors also say the next-gen Century shares some technology and features with the coming 5LS.

Overall, my point is that the Century never has been, and likely never will be a worldwide product, which disqualifies it from being a true competitor in the ultra luxury sedan segment. The only realistic possibility would be seeing a "super LS" debut within the 5LS range.

yeah but i feel it will be out as global
or so why the next gen. Century & Crown will share the LS / LC the chassis
my guess is Toyota will start doing the traditional lux. and Lexus will do the sporty route

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
my guess is Toyota will start doing the traditional lux. and Lexus will do the sporty route
Isn`t the Crown more of a GS?

NOOOOO since when was Toyota a Luxury Brand. LEXUS is Toyotas premium brand. Lexus shouldn`t have to choose between sportiness and luxury. They should focus on luxury and have optional sportiness. How hard is that?

View attachment 1657 Yet another covered look of the new LS...
You can sorta see the Spindle Grille shape their.

Last edited by a moderator:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
the next Crown and next Century will share the LS / LC the chassis this is what a lot of rumors said

it is same platform as always, so they will share premium RWD platform just like before. Otherwise Crown is not Lexus type luxury as can be seen by much lower pricing in Japan than comparable Lexus models.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I do not know if I should name him (protective reasons), but a respected Jaguar customer and Lexus guy, was shown the new LS (exterior and interior). It is reported to be an attractive car, but not 100% the LF-FC. I already expected this to some degree, considering that the LS was designed before the LF-FC. I will talk more about this a bit later.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
it is same platform as always, so they will share premium RWD platform just like before. Otherwise Crown is not Lexus type luxury as can be seen by much lower pricing in Japan than comparable Lexus models.
the Crown always share the GS / IS / MARK-X mechanics , this will be the first time to share the LS , maybe because of the new chassis, regards the Crown itself you can have the Majesta aka Crown Majesta which is so important in Toyota lineup in japan as fullsize lux. below the Century which put it as direct rival to the LS itself

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I do not know if I should name him (protective reasons), but a respected Jaguar customer and Lexus guy, was shown the new LS (exterior and interior). It is reported to be an attractive car, but not 100% the LF-FC. I already expected this to some degree, considering that the LS was designed before the LF-FC. I will talk more about this a bit later.

Thanks, but nothing that we don't already know. The production 5LS will be similar to, but not exact to the LF-FC exterior. Still, the LF-FC gives a strong indication of the 5LS exterior.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Thanks, but nothing that we don't already know. The production 5LS will be similar to, but not exact to the LF-FC exterior. Still, the LF-FC gives a strong indication of the 5LS exterior.

You actually know them from what I remember. He believes the car is better looking in being more resolved than the LF-FC and that the interior takes a similar direction to the LC500. Out of respect, I refuse to press him for more information.

It would not be wise for them to sit on a design that for 48-56 months old, considering that major decision making was made by mid-2014. The cubing process itself for such a vehicle is usually 6-9 months, even in the 2010s.

I wouldn't be surprised if the first CAD renderings for the 200B design were made as early as the 4th quarter of 2013, meaning a 2018 calendar year introduction would be utmost stupid.

By September 2017, the body design might be reaching 4 years old. I don't recommend that as a "designer", since you need a product to be as fresh as possible. In this class however, high lead times require it. Between MB, BMW, Audi, and another LS competitor, this is somewhat the norm anyway.

On another topic, I will admit even if rude of me, I am getting very tired of having to point out that the 5LS was designed first, when the evidence is out there already. Just because the LF-LC became the LC, doesn't always mean things work like that. Especially how it took an additional 5 years after the concept.

That is truly how concept-to-production works. The length of a full development programme.

BMW showcased the Vision Future Luxury in 2014, yet many complained the G11 did not look like it. BMW did G11 design work through at latest early 2012, because I know personally when the design was frozen and have had that confirmed for me various times.

I find it quite disrespectful if someone tries to be helpful and politely provide some insight, only for the same questions or mistaken theories to pop-up from the same receiving party. I read that as dismissive to us, as I am not one to say anything if there's nothing of relevance to say.

BTW that statement above isn't directed to anyone here nor you particularly CIF, but any drive-by readers that are guilty of being deliberately obtuse, when the facts are right there and state otherwise.

Finally, the hunting video of The Fast Lane Car is here ..

Yes, I had just caught that an hour ago and saw your comment on their site a few days ago. Took them too long to get it, but I understand why. I took my merry time in mentioning it here, as I hate typing on my phone.

Madi, between this car and the ES mules, the turbo engines are due very soon it seems. Why are there no trademarks is my question though? What becomes of t suffix? It has to stay, as there will still be naturally aspirated models in the line-up.

Last edited:

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Madi, between this car and the ES mules, the turbo engines are due very soon it seems. Why are there no trademarks is my question though? What becomes of t suffix? It has to stay, as there will still be naturally aspirated models in the line-up.
I think the 300 for the GS and NX trademarks will be 3.0 L turbocharged engines as the t suffix will disappear soon.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
On another topic, I will admit even if rude of me, I am getting very tired of having to point out that the 5LS was designed first, when the evidence is out there already. Just because the LF-LC became the LC, doesn't always mean things work like that. Especially how it took an additional 5 years after the concept.

That is truly how concept-to-production works. The length of a full development programme.

I agree for the most part, but Lexus does mix it up once and a while -- for instance, I don't think the LF-SA was based on any production model and I think the LF-CC was an amalgamation of the IS & RC. So it's not always cut and dry.

The worst example of what you're talking about though is the LF-Gh, the GS concept. Easily one of the worst concepts I've seen, the production interior was visible through the blacked out windows.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I agree for the most part, but Lexus does mix it up once and a while -- for instance, I don't think the LF-SA was based on any production model and I think the LF-CC was an amalgamation of the IS & RC. So it's not always cut and dry.

The worst example of what you're talking about though is the LF-Gh, the GS concept. Easily one of the worst concepts I've seen, the production interior was visible through the blacked out windows.

Oh yes, it all varies from time to time this approach with concepts in regards to marketing. One can see that with the C-X16 Concept, which we showed roughly 6 months after X152 F-Type design freeze. Advanced designers either work from scratch or work with the production development teams, to transform a chosen design into a concept car for the show circuit.

Just so you know, I was not really referring to anyone here, but to that of many media outlets and other forums. I think our discussion here is very mutual (we trade information and listen), which is a great thing. I hoping CIF and the rest of everyone here, do not read my commentary as accusatory. I poorly wrote that statement, which almost sounds as if I was hostilely directing that at CIF. It was very much the opposite.

Between here and German Car Forum, where I mostly post under the pseudonym "Carmaker1"(I have others), it is generally a very productive environment in regards to industry discussion. It was moreover another site and that of many comment sections (plus the occasional truck/4x4 forum), where many individuals continually come across as being obtuse (to make a point), despite anyone trying to clear up any misconceptions numerous times.

I am curious as to why you hated the LF-Gh? Was it a lazy, last minute attempt to you? The LF-SA is more like the LF-LC as you said, as well as that of the past 2003 HPX.

Although, the LF-NX was not a bad concept, I was very disappointed with the designer Nobuyuki Tomatsu for lying through his teeth in such a manner that insulted the intelligence of everyone. When a comment is not necessary, there is no reason to make one. The same was claimed about the RC in December 2012, when the RC was already in CAD form by the end of 2011 and frozen in mid-2012. Both the NX and RC were caught testing in the summer of 2012 as test mules in RAV4 and IS-F bodies, having just been frozen.

According to the chief designer and chief engineer for the AZ10, they confirmed this for me by stating it was in early 2012 they decided on the final design with what was proposal C in 1:1 clay, chosen to be the NX. Made plenty of sense to me, since the car entered development in June 2009 and design work starts some months after, taking 18-24 months more to design selection and then the design freeze starts.

Lexus has been fond of this kind of nonsense, where they claim that a production version of a concept is not planned, in development, or barely in progress. They really don't have to answer such questions, by saying "We do not like to comment on future product" or "I cannot answer such a question." I can understand that about maybe the LF-SA or LF-LC in the past, but not so much the LF-NX. No need for them to lie, especially when one already sees prototypes.

The LF-FC just might be a preview of the 2021 LS facelift and fuel cell car, which I can excuse Mark Templin's bold-faced lie, when he claimed the LF-FC had NOTHING to do with the next LS and then contradicted himself not too long after that.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I think the 300 for the GS and NX trademarks will be 3.0 L turbocharged engines as the t suffix will disappear soon.

I knew to expect turbo V6 engines, but these V8 spy shots entirely throw me off and I will zip my lips in the meantime. Some people claim its a supercharged V8 by hearing an engine whine. A source from Nihon, Japan, claims it will be called LS550 in being a "supercharged" 2UR-GSE. Maybe as an additional alternative to LS500?

Like the case with the LS430 in 1999-2000, they are not filing for trademark too early or might even be struggling with decisions on what to name the models. I didn't know the name XE for a very long time. I only knew the car as X760, until some months before the general public.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
You actually know them from what I remember. He believes the car is better looking in being more resolved than the LF-FC and that the interior takes a similar direction to the LC500. Out of respect, I refuse to press him for more information.

I know your other statements were not at me specifically, but the kind words are appreciated either way.

Regarding what you heard about the interior taking a similar direction to the LC500...I truly hope not. If that means a total lack of wood trim and very dull door panels like the LC has, then that would be extremely disappointing personally.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
I know your other statements were not at me specifically, but the kind words are appreciated either way.

Regarding what you heard about the interior taking a similar direction to the LC500...I truly hope not. If that means a total lack of wood trim and very dull door panels like the LC has, then that would be extremely disappointing personally.
Agreed. Wood Trim is a must for a Lexus. Especially for a historic car like the LS. And I also think the LS interior needs to look and feel a little bit more special. IMHO the LS interior looks too much like a regular Lexus. There`s nothing actually wrong with it, but it doesn`t feel as luxurious as it`s competitors personally. Which interior looks nicer ?
This:
2013-Lexus-LS-460-600hL-023.jpg

Or this?
S-Class-Coupe-Interior-7.jpg

It`s mainly just the quilt patterned-seats that make it look more luxurious, but the simplicity of the layout and the graceful curves plus the beautiful color give it a much more exclusive look.
Thankfully, the LF-FC interior tells us we`re going in that direction.

Last edited:
Reactions: CIF

mikeavelli

Reactions
Since you guys are talking about wood, I would like Lexus to expand on some more options...They offer a ton in Japan, we don't get them here unfortunately....

Three big ones to me are
1. Piano Black Trim
2. Carbon Fiber Trim
3. Light woods not bamboo

Mercedes-S550-Premium-Sport-3.jpg

2016-S-CLASS-MAYBACH-020-MCFO.jpg

The Ash wood in the S-class is stunning in person.....

In addition some stitching options that are not black or white.....The Crafted Line was just way to much and not too appealing to most.

audi-s8-plus-5_1600x0w.jpg

I also hope they realize the LS is a flagship and all options should be offered on all models. A F-Sport should not have the luxury package for example excluded. My rear seating area feels like a Camry...its ridiculous...

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
@ meth.ix , mikeavelli & CIF
*regarding that the LS interior will be close to LC.
it will be more logic move as the S-Class sedan & S-Class coupe
Just remove this arc in the center console at the passenger side also remove the arc around the Top Gear and the lexus touch pad
it will be amazing and much more clean than the S-Class
*regarding the doors of the LC they are some how simple but not bland
anyway when every time i look at the LF-FC interior i find a lot of lines in the LC itself
so if the LC interior is close to LS interior it will not be all shocking

Status
Not open for further replies.