2017 Cadillac XT5 (First Drive Pg 5)

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Interesting view points above.

But for me guys, I may be in the minority here, regardless of all the bells and whistles and hp, if craftsmanship (esp interior) is not near perfection in a luxury car, I am not interested. I was in a Cadillac dealer last week and I was left disappointed in the numerous fit and finish flaws in the SRX, ATS, and yes even the CTS. MM knows all about my Lincoln pics on obvious fit/finish mishaps I posted in the past and although Cadillac had less glaring ones, there are still more than even a basic CT has. One example I saw somewhat similar to this older pic is the crooked stitching in the CTS:

I'm rooting for Cadillac and I may actually (dare I say) see myself in one, but only when they achieve consistent Lexus, Audi, or MB-levels of interior crafstmanship. Maybe the next SRX / XT5 or CT-6...

72619261.jpg

79728889.jpg

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Interesting view points above.

But for me guys, I may be in the minority here, regardless of all the bells and whistles and hp, if craftsmanship (esp interior) is not near perfection in a luxury car, I am not interested. I was in a Cadillac dealer last week and I was left disappointed in the numerous fit and finish flaws in the SRX, ATS, and yes even the CTS. MM knows all about my Lincoln pics on obvious fit/finish mishaps I posted in the past and although Cadillac had less glaring ones, there are still more than even a basic CT has. One example I saw somewhat similar to this older pic is the crooked stitching in the CTS:

I'm rooting for Cadillac and I may actually (dare I say) see myself in one, but only when they achieve consistent Lexus, Audi, or MB-levels of interior crafstmanship. Maybe the next SRX / XT5 or CT-6...

Good post, corrado. :) I agree Lincoln's fit/finish, in general, has been a step below Cadillac's (though the new MKC has addressed some of that), and transmissions generally aren't as smooth. But as far as Lexus goes, interior craftsmanship is still top-notch in some products (LS, GS, GX, RX LX), but, in some others (ES, IS, NX), at least IMO, not as good as in the past.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Well you guys covered it all. Cadillac's problem isn't just styling. It's pricing, marketing, quality, interiors, the terrible CUE, reliability...that's quite a big list.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Well you guys covered it all. Cadillac's problem isn't just styling. It's pricing, marketing, quality, interiors, the terrible CUE, reliability...that's quite a big list.

In my experience, the CUE and center-dash controls are probably the main issues. Pricing may or may not be, depending on model. Quality, though, on most of the new Cadillacs I've looked at, seems to be pretty decent, except for some shimmy-issues in the XTS's front end that the factory has acknowledged.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Caddy is releasing teaser pics for the reveal next month:

cadillac-xt5-fb-1-1.jpg

cadillac-xt5-fb-2-1.jpg

cadillac-xt5-fb-3-1.jpg

cadillac-xt5-fb-4-1.jpg

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Nice traditional Caddy cues but it seems too boxy for my tastes.

It actually seems more boxy than the SRX it replaces. We'll have to wait for the sales numbers to see if potential buyers take to it or not.

I never liked the looks of the old SRX, and thought it was the ugliest Cadillac still in production. Except for ground clearance, I thought that an AWD-equipped CTS Sport Wagon was a much better-looikng alternative.

cadillac-srx-7.jpg

18n2acue7cprqjpg.jpg

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Nice traditional Caddy cues but it seems too boxy for my tastes.

Agreed, even if (and most likely) the aerodynamics are better than uglier SRX. Artsyfartsyscience styling in slightly cleaner form continues, improved somewhat...

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I quite like these photos so far.

New RX is so polarizing to look at... this is a lot more conservative and refined looking. In my eyes, this design will still look fine in 15-20 years. RX? Not sure.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I quite like these photos so far.

New RX is so polarizing to look at... this is a lot more conservative and refined looking. In my eyes, this design will still look fine in 15-20 years. RX? Not sure.

Agreed on the new RX. And the new Caddy will also be going up against an (IMO) equally conservative and refined new Lincoln MKX, now already on sale. It should also look good years down the road.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Even if it makes me yawn, it's a big improvement over the rental quality and ugly SRX. I agree with Gecko and expect it to sell reasonably well unlike most non-Escalade models piling up in Caddy's dealer inventory.

Caddy and Lincoln dealer inventory levels this summer have been reported to remain on the very high side. I saw an example of it yesterday at a Ford/Lincoln dealership in heart of Silicon Valley, dozens of clean MKC's fully prepped with mirrors folded and parked/jammed closely together in front/side section of lot being ignored. I stopped on curb and walked around the collection, of course I was ignored too. I didn't bother to go inside.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Even if it makes me yawn, it's a big improvement over the rental quality and ugly SRX. I agree with Gecko and expect it to sell reasonably well unlike most non-Escalade models piling up in Caddy's dealer inventory.

If you think the 2Gen SRX was rental-grade, do you remember the 1Gen, which was done off the original CTS? Its interior looked like something out of an econobox. The 2Gen was a step up in overall quality and fit/finish, although I agree with you that its overly-chiseled exterior styling was awkward-looking.

Cadillac asked me, at the time, to serve on a CTS focus-group before the original 1Gen model was released...we met in a local office building conference-room with some other panelists and were asked questions and opinions of the car's design and potential appeal. I pointed out several flaws and things I thought needed changing...and, sure enough, later reviews in the auto press, after the car was released, also mentioned pretty much the same things.

Caddy and Lincoln dealer inventory levels this summer have been reported to remain on the very high side. I saw an example of it yesterday at a Ford/Lincoln dealership in heart of Silicon Valley, dozens of clean MKC's fully prepped with mirrors folded and parked/jammed closely together in front/side section of lot being ignored. I stopped on curb and walked around the collection, of course I was ignored too. I didn't bother to go inside.

As I see it, that just makes them even better deals for those interested....they are likely to be discounted.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Anyone else notice not a single rear 3/4 shot in the official teaser photos? Hmm I wonder why lol.

I'm in the minority here on the one hand. While yes I agree this seems to be an improvement over the SRX overall, that's not saying much. I still feel the rear of this vehicle is extremely awkward, especially the rear quarter area, and that this won't really sell well. Cadillac has newer products like the CTS and ATS which look good, yet they aren't selling that well. I expect a similar outcome for this new XT5. Just because it's a crossover, does not automatically guarantee great sales. Once gas prices start to go up, this will be especially true.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Anyone else notice not a single rear 3/4 shot in the official teaser photos? Hmm I wonder why lol.

Isn't this considered a rear 3/4 view? It was posted earlier.

2017-Cadillac-XT5-02.jpg

Once gas prices start to go up, this will be especially true.

There's such a glut in the world's oil supply now, especially with us here in the U.S. being more self-sufficient than just a few years ago, that, barring some major event to affect that supply, gas and diesel prices are likely to say low for some time, especially now that we're out of the summer driving season in the Northern Hemisphere. Yes, they can, and almost certainly will go up, but probably not in the foreseeable future.