2017 Cadillac XT5 (First Drive Pg 5)

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
caddy-xt5-1-1.jpg

caddy-xt5-2-1.jpg

It's only been a few weeks since Cadillac announced that its replacement for the SRX, the new XT5, is on its way. Now, we have images of it out in the open and completely free of camouflage.

Obtained by a reader at Jalopnik's Opposite Lock forum, the Caddy was spotted during what user Saw930 believes was a photo shoot in New York's trendy SoHo neighborhood. There's only a pair of images, from the front and rear three-quarters, but it's enough to give us a very thorough overview of the exterior styling on the new CUV.

In short, the design language that has been seen on Escalade, CTS, and upcoming CT6 has indeed made its way to theSRX replacement. The broad, egg-crate grille is perhaps the cleanest iteration of Caddy's latest styling, while the CT6-inspired headlights look sharp, as well. Expect a similar headlight pattern to the CTS, with strong LED character accents on the outside of the headlights that integrate seamlessly with the lower DRLs.

In back, the taillights curve over the rear haunches and blend into an extremely strong shoulder line. It's a dynamic and aggressive piece of design that we'll need to see in person before signing off on. The rear bumper, meanwhile, is a nicely styled piece, complete with twin, integrated, rectangular tailpipes that flank a piece of (probably faux) skid plating. There's a similar off-road treatment in the front bumper, as well.

While we wait for scour for more news on the XT5, have a look at the two images Saw930 captured and posted at Oppo and let us know what you think in Comments.

Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/25/cadillac-xt5-uncovered-spy-shots/#image-2

Personally, I was hoping to see something a little more dynamic... this almost looks more like a refresh of the current model. Part of me hoped for a return to a RWD chassis since the CTS platform is just that good, but this clearly looks FWD.

Also, GM has an interesting habit of giving their SUVs and CUVs minimal ground clearance up front. The front bumper looks to be 4-5" off the ground - what gives?

Overall, I think the RX is a much more compelling product, but we still need details on engines for both and the interior of the XT5.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Thanks. Nice find, Gecko. :)

It's also no secret (by now) that Cadillac is also working on a long-delayed compact-size SUV to compete with the Lincoln MKC and Lexus NX. That will also be quite interesting...but we'll have to wait at least another year for it.

Also, GM has an interesting habit of giving their SUVs and CUVs minimal ground clearance up front. The front bumper looks to be 4-5" off the ground - what gives?

You can (partially) blame the low-profile tires that so many manufacturers are obsessed with nowadays, although SUV tire, on average, tend to have a little more profile than sedans. And there is also the fact that most Caddy SUV owners are not likely to actually go off-road in conditions that would require high approach/breakover/departure angles, although it's nice to have enough clearance for heavy snow on paved roads as well.

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Yawn, more Escalade-derived "art and science" styling, but still looking better than dated ugly model replaced.

Low profile tires contribute nothing to less front clearance because overall rolling tire diameter is as big as or larger than the higher profile tires replaced. TireRack or any tire calculator spreadsheet shows that, I have one on my PC.

Should help slow the bleeding as Caddy experiences a sales decline while top premium brands enjoy huge sales increases.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
:eek:

Wow, I was not expecting that. To be honest, I think that looks uglier than the current SRX. This will be entering a VERY competitive segment, and I think the results will be disastrous for Cadillac with this model.

It amazes me how outside of the ATS/CTS and Escalade, Cadillac can't get any other model's styling right these days IMHO.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions

It amazes me how outside of the ATS/CTS and Escalade, Cadillac can't get any other model's styling right these days IMHO.

As I see it, though, Cadillac's biggest errors on their newest products aren't so much in the body styling but in the interior center-dash region, with the CUE system and those awkward finger slide/sensor controls for things like fan speed, temperature control, and radio volume. Lincoln tried the same type of controls on the MKZ sedan and (probably from customer complaints) dialed them back by returning to at least some knobs/dials on the MKC, which followed last year, and the 2Gen MKX, debuting soon.

Reactions: CIF

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions

Wow, I was not expecting that. To be honest, I think that looks uglier than the current SRX. This will be entering a VERY competitive segment, and I think the results will be disastrous for Cadillac with this model.

It's pretty hard to be uglier than the SRX, lol. ATS is tolerable to me, better than most rental cars at least. But given Caddy's sales stagnation problems, I question them being married to artsyfatsyandscience styling theme still.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
We are talking about Caddy btw^

But regarding that big M-crap, around here they are usually black in "towncar" fleets.
Thanks for letting us know it's a "T", I doubt most knew (or cared what model it was).

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
True, but I was simply replying to your statement that it's difficult to get uglier than the current SRX.

IMO, with that vehicle, it is.

Yes, we could have a endless stream of examples, but topic is Caddy to keep discussion focused thankfully.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
As I see it, though, Cadillac's biggest errors on their newest products aren't so much in the body styling but in the interior center-dash region, with the CUE system and those awkward finger slide/sensor controls for things like fan speed, temperature control, and radio volume. Lincoln tried the same type of controls on the MKZ sedan and (probably from customer complaints) dialed them back by returning to at least some knobs/dials on the MKC, which followed last year, and the 2Gen MKX, debuting soon.

Well the interior problems are another discussion as well, problems which I agree with, and obviously problems that don't help Cadillac whatsoever. It shows just how significant Cadillac's problems are, with ho-hum exterior styling, and interior functionality issues.

It's pretty hard to be uglier than the SRX, lol. ATS is tolerable to me, better than most rental cars at least. But given Caddy's sales stagnation problems, I question them being married to artsyfatsyandscience styling theme still.

You're right, it is pretty hard, but IMO they managed to do it here lol. What really makes this XT5 terrible IMO is how they extended the tail light horizontally into that large shoulder line. Additionally, at the front, the way they extended part of the headlights to look like they are "melting" down towards the foglights...absolutely terrible. Little details yes, but personally it throws off the whole exterior and takes the exterior from ho-hum to disastrous lol.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
This Caddy still looks just as ugly as its predecessor, although not as ugly as the very first generation SRX (anyone remember those from 2004?) - which just looked like a hearse. The RX was always one of the best, if not the best, looking SUVs on the road, and the upcoming RX is absolutely gorgeous. Too bad it doesn't have a decent drivetrain to back up its looks.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
the very first generation SRX (anyone remember those from 2004?) - which just looked like a hearse.

Drove like one, too.

the upcoming RX is absolutely gorgeous.

Too bad it doesn't have a decent drivetrain to back up its looks.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "decent", though, as referring to drivetrain. The RX was never intended to be a muscle-car. Nor was it meant to be a high-mileage economy car, though it did offer a hybrid version. It always was (and I hope it still remains with the new version), a smooth, refined, luxury crossover mid-size SUV with adequate but not excess power.[/QUOTE]

mikeavelli

Reactions
In those initial pics it does not flow as well for me as the current model, which has aged very well.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
In those initial pics it does not flow as well for me as the current model, which has aged very well.

One thing I like about all of the SRXs so far (including this new one) is that, as I see it, they are (and were) refreshing changes from the world of rounded-off Aero/Jelly-Bean vehicles. I acknowledge the fact that not everyone likes Cadillac's sharp-fender and crease-angle look...just like not everybody liked the Chris Bangle-Butt trunk lids. I'm the type of person, though, that gets tired of seeing every thing look alike. When the first Ford Taurus debuted in the mid-1980s, it seemed most of the industry just jumped on that look practically overnight...and its effects are still with us.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I'm not seeing any cars from top premium automakers in US market that look as ugly as old rounded Ford Tortoise, thankfully. The modern Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes models today (in 2015, post-Bangle) have superior aerodynamics to the old Ford Tortoise and look far better too. I also don't care to see all cars look alike and I think Lexus, BMW, Mercedes and Audi have made each brand's style quite distinctive. Cadillac's Escalade-derived "artsyfartsyandscience" styling is past it's prime, and the sales decline in the middle of a premium car boom is obviously a problem for GM (intended to be a for profit company).

IMHO and more on topic, I think this new SUV thing actually looks somewhat better than the dated SRX it replaces, but it's certainly not the best-looking it its class and sales will tend to reflect this for numerous reasons other than just the styling of course. Along these lines I expect the SUV will look better in the flesh than these so-so pics. Also I think since it's an SUV, having styling that's Escalade-derived is more appropriate than when it's applied to sedans and coupes where it looks contrived and more dated.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I'm not seeing any cars from top premium automakers in US market that look as ugly as old rounded Ford Tortoise, thankfully. The modern Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes models today (in 2015, post-Bangle) have superior aerodynamics to the old Ford Tortoise and look far better too. I also don't care to see all cars look alike and I think Lexus, BMW, Mercedes and Audi have made each brand's style quite distinctive. Cadillac's Escalade-derived "artsyfartsyandscience" styling is past it's prime, and the sales decline in the middle of a premium car boom is obviously a problem for GM (intended to be a for profit company).

IMHO and more on topic, I think this new SUV thing actually looks somewhat better than the dated SRX it replaces, but it's certainly not the best-looking it its class and sales will tend to reflect this for numerous reasons other than just the styling of course. Along these lines I expect the SUV will look better in the flesh than these so-so pics. Also I think since it's an SUV, having styling that's Escalade-derived is more appropriate than when it's applied to sedans and coupes where it looks contrived and more dated.

On that subject of styling, I must respectfully disagree with regards to Mercedes, but I know I am probably a minority in this regard. That aside, history has proven that the brands of Mercedes and BMW are so strong, that even poorly-styled or poorly-engineered models still sell well due to the strength of the brand of each of the German Big 2. Audi's brand is not quite as strong.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
On that subject of styling, I must respectfully disagree with regards to Mercedes, but I know I am probably a minority in this regard. That aside, history has proven that the brands of Mercedes and BMW are so strong, that even poorly-styled or poorly-engineered models still sell well due to the strength of the brand of each of the German Big 2. Audi's brand is not quite as strong.

Good points, even if styling is about as subjective as it gets. And Mercedes as the supposedly conservative brand has (intentionally different, and to some eyes freaking weird) pushed styling limits with controversial products such as CLS, CLA, B, RL, E coupe, etc. I think MB is using their solid position of strength to launch riskier styling exercises, some of which I don't care for.

Last edited: