2016 Lexus RX Now Arriving at USA Dealerships

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Maybe for you and some others. For me they are very different and next to one another it was pretty apparent. The front end obviously looks the most similar. I think Lexus more than any other brand has done an amazing job blending its trademark styling cues on different models without them all looking the same but in different lengths.

Up front, the hollows under the headlights are the biggest difference.....the ones on the RX are more sharply and deeply-indented. But you're correct in that the front ends basically look similar. Also, some people (and I guess I'm one of them) are more concerned with what a vehicle looks like inside than outside, though I'll admit I sometimes complain about "funeral home" exterior paint colors LOL.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
The last picture tells the story for me with old Rx vs new RX.

I've owned several mid-sized SUVs (including Toyota, Ford, GM, Jeep, Mercedes products) but past RX's were just too boring for me so I avoided owning them.

New RX and NX have unique and distinctive designs that I like much more than any of the older RX designs.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
past RX's were just too boring for me.

Boring or not, though, it's hard to argue with past RX sales numbers. (I'm not saying you were doing that, just stating a point). Like I stated earlier, though, I'm not going to bet against the new ones collecting much dust on lots, either, though the current rush might die down a little after the initial novelty is gone.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Boring or not, though, it's hard to argue with past RX sales numbers. Like I stated earlier, though, I'm not going to bet against the new ones collecting much dust on lots, either, though the current rush might die down a little after the initial novelty is gone.

Yes, and most likely sales will go UP with new more dynamic style. Like I stated earlier Lexus's new designs have all resulted in sales going UP. Boring styling is not necessary for sales success, BMW and Mercedes at #1 and #2 have proven that by a significant margin. RX's are flying off lots here at the world's tech capital high volume dealerships, lucky to find 1 or 2 units lingering max.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Thank you theLexfather for those comparison pics! Always great to see such photos!

In those shots, there is definitely a family resemblance between the NX and RX, but they are still distinctly different. A trademark of the Lexus family that I appreciate, is that the styling among models is similar, but not the same. Each Lexus model still has individual and unique styling characteristics.

Also that 3RX and 4RX comparison shot is very telling. In that shot the 4RX honestly doesn't look all that radical, but looks clearly newer and more sophisticated.

abraxas

Fan
Reactions
Tell me it aint true, did they really remove the left cup holder and remove the functional deep holding capacity of the console with its lift top panel? I really need to get back to a lot. But, it looks like I won't be buying a 2016 after all. What a bummer. I wanted to like this new release so much. I have a 2013 and we love it.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Tell me it aint true, did they really remove the left cup holder and remove the functional deep holding capacity of the console with its lift top panel? I really need to get back to a lot. But, it looks like I won't be buying a 2016 after all. What a bummer. I wanted to like this new release so much. I have a 2013 and we love it.

Funny how I've heard quite a few people ask about the extra cupholder on the driver's left side. It is a missed feature!

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
image-jpeg.1006

In my eyes, the NX looks more dynamic and the RX more elegant. I'm sure this is the intended effect, but the headlights and under spoiler make a big difference. At the same time, this is comparing a standard RX with an NX F SPORT.

abraxas

Fan
Reactions
Looks like Lexus traded functionality and common sense for a new look that many find juvenile and unbecoming of the brand.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Looks like Lexus traded functionality and common sense for a new look that many find juvenile and unbecoming of the brand.

Have you seen the new RX in person? I wouldn't sell it short just on a missing cup holder. It's better than the previous model in every way.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Yeah, well said krew. From your detailed review, and from photos, it really does seem improved in almost every way. Everyone is different of course with their preferences, but for me a hidden cupholder would be a low priority. To be perfectly honest, I actually hate where the hidden cupholder is positioned in the 3RX interior; off to the left of the steering wheel, near the door. For me personally, that is an annoying and inconvenient spot for a cupholder. I like keeping that area of the interior always free and clear. So the fact that the new 4RX doesn't have that hidden cupholder on the left there is not an issue personally speaking.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I just noticed those new low profile roof rails, love it because I prefer look of smooth top SUV's (as my last one was and not to mention the aero advantage).

abraxas

Fan
Reactions
Have you seen the new RX in person? I wouldn't sell it short just on a missing cup holder. It's better than the previous model in every way.

2nd time now Krew at this dealer -http://www.northparklexusatdominion.com/ We went over a 2016 RX350 with a fine tooth comb last Wednesday, did a test drive, and let's put it this way - we'll be keeping our 2013 RX350. There's very little if anything that induces us to move out of a 2013 into the 2016 which has been dumb downed IMO. I REALLY wanted to like this car based on all of the preliminary hype.

I had our 2013 parked right next to the 2016, hatchgate and doors open, and went back and forth to make my observations. I'm no car critic, just some joe blow with an opinion.....and cash to burn.

PROS:

1. Exterior styling is nice except for the overbearing spindle grill. For some reason it looks better on a 2016 ES350 than the RX. Perhaps it's the overall car dimensions or profile that offsets the "aggressive" look of that grill. Love the Matador Red Mica finish! Wow!

2. Ride - nice! Quiet cabin, handles well, good power. Seat comfort is OK.

3. Interior styling and attention to detail are excellent with a few functional/convenience items changed as explained below.

CONS:

1. No left cup holder, not that I care that much. Sales rep said they get this complaint often.

2. The console storage space is less than the 2013 and THERE'S NO SLIDING STORAGE TRAY! So I have to fish around for stuff in a deep smaller storage compartment? That sliding tray is where we carry frequently used items - pen, notepad, calculator, Chapstick, Tums, toothpicks, etc.

3. Still don't like the non-sectioned glove box and drop down door. Another mess waiting to happen trying to keep stuff organized.

4. Rear cabin space behind the rear seats is smaller. It's quite a bit less than our 2013 in width, a bit less front to back. Wish I had a tape with me to take measurements. Where that roomy rear area went is anyone's guess.

5. Leg room for the rear seat is confined even though the length of the car was increased.

6. Seat height - if you have a wife shorter than say...... 5'8", you best stay away from the 20" wheels (standard with the Luxury pack) or expect her to struggle a bit to get in. Again, the 2013 height is perfect for my wife. Open the door, turn around and drop about an inch or so into the passenger seat. After seeing 2 side by side, one with 20" wheels one with 18" the former visually taller..... I opted to test the one with the 18" wheels.

7. Wider console may be a problem for large people who like to rest their knee against it. Wider console makes the cabin less spacious, cramped for the front folks. Again, what happened to the increase in width?

8. Hate the looks of the pop up screen over the recessed smooth styling of the other NAV screen designs on our 2013 and other Lexus models like the 2016 ES350.

We'll probably wait until the 2017's come out (or move into a Jag or BMW) but I don't expect many positive changes, especially regarding the basic design. Lexus will probably not re-tool and re-design the RX350 for many years to come....unless lower sales push them to do so.

Signed,
Wish it wasn't so :(

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I just noticed those new low profile roof rails, love it because I prefer look of smooth top SUV's (as my last one was and not to mention the aero advantage).

Also makes the roof easier to wash (for those like me who hand-wash their own vehicles)......though roofs of the RX's height are admittedly not easy for some folks to hand-wash, period.

Several years ago, Subaru came out with a device on Outbacks that, at least to an extent, gave you the best of both worlds. The cross-bars unclick with a latch and swing to the side, clicking in fore/aft with the longitudinal bars. That improves the airflow some when the crossbars are not actually in use and makes washing/drying easier, yet still allows one to carry things overhead if needed. I sometimes wonder why Lexus has not adopted that....I'm sure they are aware of it. But, you are right, for those who don't need extra capacity on top, a smooth top is probably the best way to go.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Also makes the roof easier to wash (for those like me who hand-wash their own vehicles)......though roofs of the RX's height are admittedly not easy for some folks to hand-wash, period.

Yes, I have a Rubbermaid brand 2 step plastic step stool in garage for washing roof of SUV's, changing light bulbs in garage door opener and other duties requiring 5-10 inches of extra reach. Works great.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
CONS:

6. Seat height - if you have a wife shorter than say...... 5'8", you best stay away from the 20" wheels (standard with the Luxury pack) or expect her to struggle a bit to get in.

:(

fyi - 20" wheels (versus 18" wheels) have no impact on seat height/vehicle height and/or ease of entry/exit for shorter individuals.

abraxas

Fan
Reactions
fyi - 20" wheels (versus 18" wheels) have no impact on seat height/vehicle height and/or ease of entry/exit for shorter individuals.

Makes real world sense and that's what I always thought but side by side the car with the 20" was taller. I'm not the only one noticing the height issue (tires irrelevant here). Check out the first customer review. http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/rx-350/2016/suv/review/

It also cost $10,000 more than the one we tested. These cars are pricey too.