16th Generation Toyota Crown (Sedan, Cross, Sport, Estate/Signia)

What do you think it is?

• Lexus GS

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Toyota Crown

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The Crown Sports is only 2 cm taller than the Crown CUV. The same goes for the Estate, so that is the car to get for those that want the rear door and cargo space. The Crown Sports is ICEV, because it has a fuel cap, I still assume the Estate to be ICEV too, even without the fuel cap, because the Sedan also lacks it in the pics, even if based on the Mirai we know it should be there, and there are no charging port lids on the front fender. I don't think the Sedan is EV like the Genesis G80 for example. It would greatly limit its market potential.

The Crown Sport being not very tall, but significantly shorter and thus a little lighter than all those on the 2.85 wheelbase (including the RX), will be the fastest best handling car (within TMC) with the T24A hybrid powertrain.

I am now wondering what the next Camry and ES will look like silhouette-wise. Will they retain the classical 3 box shape or also go fastback style but with trunk lid?

Obviously on sedans Toyota continues with trunk lids for increased comfort compared to 5 doors like cuvs/suvs, it makes sense as differentiation.

The more TMC reveals their cars, the more new questions arise rather than the old ones being answered.

We now know the T24A replaces the 2GR, but compared to before, there are no more RWD based cars except BOFs, so T24A is only for cars from Camry to RX in transverse layout. For BOFs, TMC will surely have a longitudinal version, because of the sales volume, but what about the 8GR-FXS in the RWD platforms (LC, LS and now), and specially the new Crown Sedan? The Crown sedan being LS related, basically "has" 8GR-FXS. Will they carry on, or develop for it the T24A, for just one model? Or will the LC and LS get it too instead of the 8GR-FXS? And how about LS getting a hybrid V35A? And does the Crown Sedan get a 'basic' V35A, given it exists in LS, almost same car?

The Crown Sedan from the pics looks more mascular than the LS. Maybe the LS, remaining on the same platform, will get an extended facelift interior/exterior like the IS got. Lexus is good at renewing 'old' cars. There could be some engine upgrades, like T24A hybrid instead of 8GR-FXS and V35A hybrid instead of 2UR (hybrid).

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
The Crown Sports is only 2 cm taller than the Crown CUV. The same goes for the Estate, so that is the car to get for those that want the rear door and cargo space. The Crown Sports is ICEV, because it has a fuel cap, I still assume the Estate to be ICEV too, even without the fuel cap, because the Sedan also lacks it in the pics, even if based on the Mirai we know it should be there, and there are no charging port lids on the front fender. I don't think the Sedan is EV like the Genesis G80 for example. It would greatly limit its market potential.

The Crown Sport being not very tall, but significantly shorter and thus a little lighter than all those on the 2.85 wheelbase (including the RX), will be the fastest best handling car (within TMC) with the T24A hybrid powertrain.

I am now wondering what the next Camry and ES will look like silhouette-wise. Will they retain the classical 3 box shape or also go fastback style but with trunk lid?

Obviously on sedans Toyota continues with trunk lids for increased comfort compared to 5 doors like cuvs/suvs, it makes sense as differentiation.

The more TMC reveals their cars, the more new questions arise rather than the old ones being answered.

We now know the T24A replaces the 2GR, but compared to before, there are no more RWD based cars except BOFs, so T24A is only for cars from Camry to RX in transverse layout. For BOFs, TMC will surely have a longitudinal version, because of the sales volume, but what about the 8GR-FXS in the RWD platforms (LC, LS and now), and specially the new Crown Sedan? The Crown sedan being LS related, basically "has" 8GR-FXS. Will they carry on, or develop for it the T24A, for just one model? Or will the LC and LS get it too instead of the 8GR-FXS? And how about LS getting a hybrid V35A? And does the Crown Sedan get a 'basic' V35A, given it exists in LS, almost same car?

The Crown Sedan from the pics looks more mascular than the LS. Maybe the LS, remaining on the same platform, will get an extended facelift interior/exterior like the IS got. Lexus is good at renewing 'old' cars. There could be some engine upgrades, like T24A hybrid instead of 8GR-FXS and V35A hybrid instead of 2UR (hybrid).

If the LS looked like a larger IS, would get one in a heartbeat….

LarryT

Follower
Reactions
The exterior & interior design of the U.S. version Crown actually looks nice, except for the weird door side molding piece which totally ruins the overall styling.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
The exterior & interior design of the U.S. version Crown actually looks nice, except for the weird door side molding piece which totally ruins the overall styling.
Dare I say the comment section on the US Crown is reminiscent to that of the Acura Integra launch.

That being said, the interior is a fine place to be, and if they price this aggressively enough, folks in the know might be looking at a performance bargain on the top end iforcemax system.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
NX-> MY22
RX->MY23
GX-> MY24
UX-> MY25
Crown Sport- TBD
ES->MY25

Last edited:

nt01

Fan
Reactions
After watching a few US preview videos, it seems like the platinum grade is lacking power steering column, power trunk and digital rearview mirror. I know it’s not apple to apple but the Japanese advance rs grade has those features.

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
People complained in the 15th gen that it felt a bit more plasticy than the 14th but 16th gen crossover has plastic even around the gear shifter hopefully the sedan isn't as bland in term of materials

LarryT

Follower
Reactions
People complained in the 15th gen that it felt a bit more plasticy than the 14th but 16th gen crossover has plastic even around the gear shifter hopefully the sedan isn't as bland in term of materials

Cost cutting abound.

The cheap looking interior plastics bits & limited to no use of wood/metal trim in the U.S. variant Crown are both perplexing & disappointing considering the Toyota Crown heritage of top end luxury vehicles.