12th Generation E120 Toyota Corolla Thread (Hatch, Sedan, Cross, GR)

Reactions
Agree! I enjoy driving a ‘21 XSE HB with 6-speed as my daily driver. I was hoping to replace it with another in a few years. It’s likely that I will hold onto mine for quite a while. Perhaps I will consider a GR Corolla as a fun car one day?

What if we have a huge public outcry about the lack of manuals. Maybe they'll reconsider. 😭😭😭😭😭😭

Toyota literally developed that 6-speed and it debuted in the Corolla Hatchback and sedan just a few years ago. It doesn't make sense. Having a niche manual option won't harm anybody and it will cost next to nothing because a small production of manuals will be enough for buyers to get!

Do it Toyota!!

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I noticed that normal cars with manual transmissions have terrible resale value because normal people don't want them and enthusiasts don't want them either. So it becomes a negative feedback loop. In contrast manual performance cars are very valuable and usually get traded very quickly. That's why we see manuals disappearing in normal cars but coming back in sports cars.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
I noticed that normal cars with manual transmissions have terrible resale value because normal people don't want them and enthusiasts don't want them either. So it becomes a negative feedback loop. In contrast manual performance cars are very valuable and usually get traded very quickly. That's why we see manuals disappearing in normal cars but coming back in sports cars.
It depends. The Corolla hatchback with 6MT is about $700 cheaper trade-in like for like versus a CVT. The difference in MSRP was a little more than that. I will say that the Corolla hatchback has garnered a bit of an enthusiast cred because it looks and drives like an enthusiast car despite not setting the world on fire with pure numbers. I think it also benefits from everyone else vacating the sportyish entry market. There really aren't many options out there if you want a sportyish compact that doesn't run on mid or premium gas.

The rest of the car has to look and feel the part for the MT to not be resale poison. I agree that no one is missing that Corolla LE with the ZR lost the manual transmission. I think there will be people that miss that the Corolla HB lost it, though.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Car media reports there will be no next generation Ford Focus. Electric Puma will be Ford's entry level car.