12th Generation E120 Toyota Corolla Thread (Hatch, Sedan, Cross, GR)

Reactions
Agree! I enjoy driving a ‘21 XSE HB with 6-speed as my daily driver. I was hoping to replace it with another in a few years. It’s likely that I will hold onto mine for quite a while. Perhaps I will consider a GR Corolla as a fun car one day?

What if we have a huge public outcry about the lack of manuals. Maybe they'll reconsider. 😭😭😭😭😭😭

Toyota literally developed that 6-speed and it debuted in the Corolla Hatchback and sedan just a few years ago. It doesn't make sense. Having a niche manual option won't harm anybody and it will cost next to nothing because a small production of manuals will be enough for buyers to get!

Do it Toyota!!

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I noticed that normal cars with manual transmissions have terrible resale value because normal people don't want them and enthusiasts don't want them either. So it becomes a negative feedback loop. In contrast manual performance cars are very valuable and usually get traded very quickly. That's why we see manuals disappearing in normal cars but coming back in sports cars.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
I noticed that normal cars with manual transmissions have terrible resale value because normal people don't want them and enthusiasts don't want them either. So it becomes a negative feedback loop. In contrast manual performance cars are very valuable and usually get traded very quickly. That's why we see manuals disappearing in normal cars but coming back in sports cars.
It depends. The Corolla hatchback with 6MT is about $700 cheaper trade-in like for like versus a CVT. The difference in MSRP was a little more than that. I will say that the Corolla hatchback has garnered a bit of an enthusiast cred because it looks and drives like an enthusiast car despite not setting the world on fire with pure numbers. I think it also benefits from everyone else vacating the sportyish entry market. There really aren't many options out there if you want a sportyish compact that doesn't run on mid or premium gas.

The rest of the car has to look and feel the part for the MT to not be resale poison. I agree that no one is missing that Corolla LE with the ZR lost the manual transmission. I think there will be people that miss that the Corolla HB lost it, though.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Car media reports there will be no next generation Ford Focus. Electric Puma will be Ford's entry level car.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
I’m in Norway right now, and I’m renting a hybrid Corolla wagon. It’s actually a great car, and a huge step up from the Renault Clio I had in Croatia. Hertz spec’d it out nice too: heated leather seats, dual zone climate controls, heated steering wheel, 18” rims, etc. Its a nice car. Now I wish Toyota offered the wagon in the US. If they had Corolla wagon with a 6spd and turbo four, I’d have a serious look at one.

Maybe I’m just partial to wagons.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
I’m in Norway right now, and I’m renting a hybrid Corolla wagon. It’s actually a great car, and a huge step up from the Renault Clio I had in Croatia. Hertz spec’d it out nice too: heated leather seats, dual zone climate controls, heated steering wheel, 18” rims, etc. Its a nice car. Now I wish Toyota offered the wagon in the US. If they had Corolla wagon with a 6spd and turbo four, I’d have a serious look at one.

Maybe I’m just partial to wagons.
I wish we had the Corolla Hybrid wagon available here in Canada.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Updated Corolla coming in 2023 for Europe, digital cluster is day and night difference.
Of course, infotainment is much better but we all knew that.

Didnt see digital cluster before, i guess it might be similar to one in Thundra, but with different graphics? Anyway, looks really good and modern, high resolution.

Meanwhile, the new digital instrument cluster offers an almost bewildering amount of customisation, and it’s quite fiddly to make adjustments. However, once you’ve settled on your preferred content for the three tailored screens, and decided which of the four ‘themes’ you prefer (Casual, Smart, Sport and Tough), there won’t be much need for further playing around. The trim changes aren’t quite as obvious but play a part in upping the premium feel of the cabin, and there’s nothing conspicuously cheap or nasty inside the Corolla.

1656954468691.png

1656954446563.png

Reactions
And it would sell like 4 units per year.
I disagree. There are almost no options for an entry level wagon in North America.

And it's a freakin' Corolla. The Corolla Touring Sports would sell really well. And if Toyota knows marketing, they'd bring the hybrid as well as a manual for the 2.0L to appease buyers (I know they got rid of the stick and frankly it's stupid).

Reactions
I disagree. There are almost no options for an entry level wagon in North America.

And it's a freakin' Corolla. The Corolla Touring Sports would sell really well. And if Toyota knows marketing, they'd bring the hybrid as well as a manual for the 2.0L to appease buyers (I know they got rid of the stick and frankly it's stupid).
GR Corolla Touring Sportswagon...guaranteed sell out right there. Toyota went from having vanilla flavors 10 years ago to spicy enthusiast rides.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
GR Corolla Touring Sportswagon...guaranteed sell out right there. Toyota went from having vanilla flavors 10 years ago to spicy enthusiast rides.
I’d seriously consider one if Toyota did that. Honestly, even if they had the S20 engine and a manual I’d consider one.

There is definitely a certain demographic that I think a hybrid Corolla wagon would appeal to.

Another option would be to add AWD and market the wagon as a Subaru Outback alternative. A hybrid, AWD “Adventure Wagon” would appeal to the hippy types who’ve become disheartened by the Outback and its continued growth in size. I think there’s a market there if Toyota markets it well, but then again, that might create some overlap with the Corolla Cross.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
This with S20 and manual and AWD. Yes it would sell, it would really sell and be a good marketing stunt. It would sell more the GR Corrola being more practical and less hard-core, with one more cylinder.

Reactions
I’d seriously consider one if Toyota did that. Honestly, even if they had the S20 engine and a manual I’d consider one.

There is definitely a certain demographic that I think a hybrid Corolla wagon would appeal to.

Another option would be to add AWD and market the wagon as a Subaru Outback alternative. A hybrid, AWD “Adventure Wagon” would appeal to the hippy types who’ve become disheartened by the Outback and its continued growth in size. I think there’s a market there if Toyota markets it well, but then again, that might create some overlap with the Corolla Cross.
Also, many 'cheap' cars are disappearing...no more Yaris for our market, and even other competitors slowly bailing out

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
The Corolla Wagon would not sell in North America, because it overlaps with the Corolla Cross.

North Americans do buy wagons... but only if they sit on raised suspensions and have black plastic lower body cladding, in other words, they are dressed up as crossovers. Otherwise, station wagons that look like their grandparents' station wagons do not sell.

If, what I see here in Southern Ontario, Canada is any indication, the Corolla Cross -- with its lifted suspension and black plastic cladding -- is selling, and because it is, the Corolla Wagon will not sell.

Small cars, like the Yaris, don't sell either (unless gasoline prices remain high for a while past this current supply shortage).

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The ChDM Corolla 1.5 with M15 (replacing the 8NR) was dyno tested to make 78 fwhp. A 1995 E110 1.5 makes more power🤦‍♂️

The Corolla is really extreme with very underpowered mainstream models and then a 305PS GR version, all because they refused to develop a 1.4-1.5L turbo engine as requested by TMC China as early as 2014. I think it's a missed opportunity not developing a simplified, detuned model of G16E-GTS. Something like a "G14A-FTS" with 160-180PS and 250-280N.m. They even already have a 1.4L I3 developed for the GR86 race car.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
The ChDM Corolla 1.5 with M15 (replacing the 8NR) was dyno tested to make 78 fwhp. A 1995 E110 1.5 makes more power🤦‍♂️

The Corolla is really extreme with very underpowered mainstream models and then a 305PS GR version, all because they refused to develop a 1.4-1.5L turbo engine as requested by TMC China as early as 2014. I think it's a missed opportunity not developing a simplified, detuned model of G16E-GTS. Something like a "G14A-FTS" with 160-180PS and 250-280N.m. They even already have a 1.4L I3 developed for the GR86 race car.
Wtf, even the 1NZ-FE in the 1st gen Yaris and Vios makes more power at the wheels.

I've heard complains from Europeans mentioning that the actual acceleration times for their regular Yaris with the M15A-FKS is about 1 second slower than advertised by Toyota.

The Corolla's sales are really hurting in parts of the world that aren't heavily invested into electrified vehicles, yet the most powerful engine they get most of the time is just the 2ZR-FE, if Toyota at least offer the M20A-FKS in the Corolla in all markets it's sales wouldn't be eaten up by the Civic so much.

Great, now I'm worried about how the next-gen Vios is going to be like, I'm going to be very disappointed if it's still a lot slower than it's competitors, like the current gen Vios is. I'm getting really tired of the "Toyotas are slow and underpowered" stereotype, most regular Toyotas back then don't really have this problem.

larryren

Follower
Reactions

ehhh where can find that test dyno video or article....? And have another question that test is using CVT version Corolla 1.5?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Seems like a decent engine in Yaris, here tested by random dude 0-100kmh in 10.8s:

People are also commenting they got under 10s and good consumption.

For Europe, this is very fast Yaris, lol. We used to have 1.0l and 1.3l options that were way slower than this.