Toyota Land Cruiser Megathread (300, 250, Prado, etc)

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Looks really good to me, just needs... ev version! Lol.

Interior also looks good, hopefully improved from before.

I would still get GX for myself for higher quality, bigger engine and better nvh.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Prado was always a proper Land Cruiser. Just a smaller version of it.

I have sold hundreds of Prados back in my other life, and I never heard of this connotation that it is not a proper Land Cruiser from anyone. It does not break, we never had any issues on LC120 or LC150s that were not related to crappy diesels, but at the same time LC200 had same or more issues with crappy diesels or actually more.

And more people offroaded Prado than LC200, not only it is cheaper (but still very expensive), but also it is lighter and smaller so you are not bringing a tank into a trail.
Now LC250 is the same size as LC300. In Europe/rest of the world everyone know there are two Landcruisers. Americans don’t know it. They don’t know above the LC250 is a more expensive LC300.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Now LC250 is the same size as LC300. In Europe/rest of the world everyone know there are two Landcruisers. Americans don’t know it. They don’t know above the LC250 is a more expensive LC300.

they are same size, i guess thats good for everywhere but Europe, but due to emissions they mostly stopped selling it here.

I wonder what European price will be, did anyone announce it so far?

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Now that I've had a few days to digest it, I'm really liking the Land Cruiser. I think the GX looks a little better, but I could see myself actually buying the LC. The base model is actually kinda charming. Very old school feel. Throw some 33" tires, more offset wheels, and a clean tubular rack on the roof. Very cool, very subtle, very capable.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
they are same size, i guess thats good for everywhere but Europe, but due to emissions they mostly stopped selling it here.

I wonder what European price will be, did anyone announce it so far?
I wouldn't worry or care much about selling an off-road vehicle in the most urbanized part of the world if I were Toyota. Emissions or not they are not going to sell many anyway.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Now that I've had a few days to digest it, I'm really liking the Land Cruiser. I think the GX looks a little better, but I could see myself actually buying the LC. The base model is actually kinda charming. Very old school feel. Throw some 33" tires, more offset wheels, and a clean tubular rack on the roof. Very cool, very subtle, very capable.
Yes, looking forward to modified new GX/Prado.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I've been letting the new Land Cruiser sink in and wondered, if I hadn't just purchased a new GX, which would I want: Land Cruiser or GX 550?

I am surprised to say I think I would rather have the Land Cruiser. I wouldn't buy either until post-refresh (so probably 4+ years), but there are a few key things I like more than the GX.

On the GX, I love the exterior design -- a lot. Land Cruiser, I like the exterior (though not as much as the GX) but definitely like the interior more than the GX. The 12.3" screen seems to fit the space better, I like the shapes of the dash and doors more, and the option of the Java interior seals the deal for me, especially the solid seats. I hate the bi-color GX seats.

I would want any engine except for the V35A-FTS, and I think the 1MPG improvement after 14 years is borderline unacceptable. So, Land Cruiser with 27 MPG combined (10 more than GX 550), hybrid, and 465lb-ft of torque is a sweeter deal for me.

"Land Cruiser" trim, Black exterior, Java interior. :love:

Reactions
I would want any engine except for the V35A-FTS, and I think the 1MPG improvement after 14 years is borderline unacceptable. So, Land Cruiser with 27 MPG combined (10 more than GX 550), hybrid, and 465lb-ft of torque is a sweeter deal for me.
I have a hard time believing it will only have 17 MPG which would mean that the Tundra is more efficient.

Regardless, Lexus needs to update the V35A-FTS to make it more efficient and powerful. I'm in awe that Toyota/Lexus aren't putting more money into further developing their powertrains anymore, even in an ICE-dominant world.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I have a hard time believing it will only have 17 MPG which would mean that the Tundra is more efficient.

Regardless, Lexus needs to update the V35A-FTS to make it more efficient and powerful. I'm in awe that Toyota/Lexus aren't putting more money into further developing their powertrains anymore, even in an ICE-dominant world.
Also needs a way better torque curve. 650N.m is a lot but only after 2400rpm? We are not in the 90s anymore. That is very confusing tuning for a utility engine. The Type 17 (LS500) tune has just 50N.m less but at 1600rpm.

The tuning of Dynamic Force family is all over the place. I don't claim to know more than TMC engineers but their older engines (not counting the disastrous Tacoma 3.5) are all more consistent with their use case.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Maybe the upcoming 4Runner TRD Pro will be the perfect spot for you, Gecko... Potentially if it gets the Tacoma's interior, 2.4t iForce Max like the Taco TRD Pro and LC, and ~58k price?

Reactions
Also needs a way better torque curve. 650N.m is a lot but only after 2400rpm? We are not in the 90s anymore. That is very confusing tuning for a utility engine. The Type 17 (LS500) tune has just 50N.m less but at 1600rpm.
Agreed.
The tuning of Dynamic Force family is all over the place. I don't claim to know more than TMC engineers but their older engines (not counting the disastrous Tacoma 3.5) are all more consistent with their use case.
What's crazy is that the 2UR-GSE V8 can hit all the way to low 30's on the highway. So why is the V35A-FTS, which is a smaller engine, turbocharged, and employs modern engine management features that helps it be more frugal on fuel, nowhere near as efficient as the 2UR-GSE on the highway?

Demetrius

Founding Member
Reactions
I've been letting the new Land Cruiser sink in and wondered, if I hadn't just purchased a new GX, which would I want: Land Cruiser or GX 550?

I am surprised to say I think I would rather have the Land Cruiser. I wouldn't buy either until post-refresh (so probably 4+ years), but there are a few key things I like more than the GX.

On the GX, I love the exterior design -- a lot. Land Cruiser, I like the exterior (though not as much as the GX) but definitely like the interior more than the GX. The 12.3" screen seems to fit the space better, I like the shapes of the dash and doors more, and the option of the Java interior seals the deal for me, especially the solid seats. I hate the bi-color GX seats.

"Land Cruiser" trim, Black exterior, Java interior. :love:
The color of the seats and mpg are the biggest gripes for me as well.

The interior color of the '24 GX will be what keeps me waiting until they announce the '25 model to see if they add an interior color. Lexus is known to add different color choices after the first model year.

I can't believe that 17 mpg either. Unacceptable like you said. Why is every other GA-F vehicle posting 4-6 mpg gains(LX went from 14 to 19).
I'm hoping they pull a rabbit out of their hat and get to 19 or 20 mpg combined by the time specs are official. That would go a long way with me. I just can't get behind the 4cyl turbo-hybrid powertrain for complexity and load reasons. Even though I'm not the biggest fan of the TTV6, it'll have 6-7 years of use case by the time I get one.

Nori green + 19/20 mpg + additional interior color choice(Palomino🤤) = a customer for MY2025

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Maybe the upcoming 4Runner TRD Pro will be the perfect spot for you, Gecko... Potentially if it gets the Tacoma's interior, 2.4t iForce Max like the Taco TRD Pro and LC, and ~58k price?

Honestly after getting a '23 GX, I don't plan to buy any 4Runners, GXs or Land Cruisers for a while, but after owning 4 4Runners over the years and now 2 GXs, it's hard to not at least play with the idea when new product is released 😁

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
What's crazy is that the 2UR-GSE V8 can hit all the way to low 30's on the highway. So why is the V35A-FTS, which is a smaller engine, turbocharged, and employs modern engine management features that helps it be more frugal on fuel, nowhere near as efficient as the 2UR-GSE on the highway?

I think it shows just how good Toyota V8s are, and that they probably have further optimization to do on turbocharged motors, which I think is fair considering that the UR V8 is an evolution of the UZ V8, so they had a lot of time to perfect that formula. It is, however, disappointing for people looking at new product to have no V8s and mediocre V6s.

Everyone loves to rap on the 1UR-FE for being old, inefficient, outdated, etc. but two things:

First, for an engine that first debuted 17 years ago, Toyota's latest, greatest, Dynamic Force replacement with 4 more gears in the transmission can only eke out 1 more MPG? I'd be curious to see what the UR V8 could have done with an Atkinson cycle and a 10AT -- my sense is it would be more efficient than the V35A in similar applications.

And second, no V35A-FTS application can match the linear throttle tip-in and response of the UR V8. I give Lexus credit for refining the LS 500 transmission mapping year after year, but it just isn't there yet.

Also it doesn't seem like the newer Tundras are getting close to their advertised mileage. Most folks claimed the old one was 13-14MPG, and it seems most folks are reporting the new one around 15MPG. I've thought about this a lot - why can Ford get good MPG out of their EcoBoosts and Toyota, who builds some of the most efficient NA engines on the planet, can't seem to build efficient SUV/truck motors? Weight? Tuning? What's the problem?