ssun30

Expert
Reactions
They definitely will not kill the LS if that's what you're insinuating.

For China? Perhaps. For the rest of the world? Definitely not.
The next LS is likely the liftback BEV concept they previewed at Koji Sato's presentation. Maybe the name will change to LZ.

The LS as a traditional D-segment sedan is definitely going away.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
Translation on some key points:
>>LM was developed from the scratch to be a Lexus flagship. The difference is last gen was Alphard first LM second, this gen is LM first Alphard second. The priority is LM.
>>Lexus spent a lot of effort on ergonomics of the interior. They used motion capture to gather data on what kind of movements people make when inside the car, and shaped the seats to allow those movements while also keeping the spine fixed in place. This is something competition have been unable to replicate because seat comfort is much much more than material and padding.
>>All the interior touch points like switches and opening storage boxes have the exact same feedback force. They found that people feel much more "premium" when they have consistent interactions with different touch points. The handle bar for entry was designed with over 100 prototypes to get the optimal feel when entering.
>>The details goes further down to the shades. They come from the top so when it opens, the VIP will immediately see what's outside from their eye level instead of waiting the entire shade to come down. The split horizontal sunroof is designed that way because VIPs want individual control of illumination (one person wants it open while the other doesn't).
>>The decision to go with hybrid-only is because even in China, EV charging infrastructure is only limited to developed places. They don't want to limit the VIP's movement to charger availability.
>>The LM was developed primarily based on feedback from Chinese market. But Lexus is seeing increasing interest in luxury minivans from international markets like ME and EU as well. The overall trend is VIPs are no longer interested in D-segment sedans because they want more space, and minivans are the perfect body shape for that.

My feeling is this is a true no-compromise flagship of Lexus. The amount of effort and attention to details is comparable to what they used to do on the original LS400. They are not trying to hide that no one wants D-segment sedans anymore. I think we know where this is going for the LS.
Except, it is technically still a "cab-forward" type of vehicle riding on non-premium FWD platform, along with drivetrains that should ever only exist in lower tier application. S580 Maybach, RR......they are closer to my imagination being a true "no-compromise" flagships, be it powertrain, suspension design, or handling capability (relative to SUV/MPV).

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Do the 2 halves of the 3rd-row seat still fold up against the side wall as in the previous model (rather than folding into a well in the cargo area)?

Reactions
The next LS is likely the liftback BEV concept they previewed at Koji Sato's presentation. Maybe the name will change to LZ.

The LS as a traditional D-segment sedan is definitely going away.

That's going to get them even more sales than they already do with the current LS! /s

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
Do the 2 halves of the 3rd-row seat still fold up against the side wall as in the previous model (rather than folding into a well in the cargo area)?
I’m sure I read in the press release that they do.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Unless Century sedan is cancelled i cant see them not developing sedan type LS

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Reports have emerged since claiming that Lexus could employ the BX name for the newcomer. Toyota has filed and successfully registered ‘Lexus LBX’ and ‘LBX’ names as trademarks at multiple IP offices around the world. More recent reports have claimed this model will arrive as Lexus BX. However, Lexus continues to maintain silence on the rumors.