Spy Shots: Three-Row Lexus RX Prototype Spotted in California?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-08-07-lexus-rx-prototype-spotted-400x200.jpg

A camouflaged Lexus RX prototype has been spotted in California, sparking rumors that this may be our first look at long-rumored Lexus three-row crossover.
View the original article post

Reactions: Den
Reactions
So since theres the three row RX, would lexus use the TX as a full size CUV?
Also would there be a new name in the RX i.e. RX 350L??

rayaans

Fan
Reactions
Nah I call bullshit on this and here are my reasons:

1 - the hood isn't longer. It's exactly the same size. The prototype is at a marginally different angle which makes it look like that. Want proof? Just look at the front grill, you can see more grill on the prototype pic.

2 - the rear end has exactly the same slope. Once again it's due to the angle that it looks different.

3 - the roof isn't higher. Once again, due to the angle of the pic. Want more proof? Look at the prototype pic and you'll see the centre of the hood, yet in the press release pic you'll just see the crease in the hood.

Case closed

Reactions: CIF

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Agree, this is no 3 row RX. The point is Lexus needs a RWD SUV/Crossover that could have an F version. Not another FWD.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Nah I call bullshit on this and here are my reasons:

1 - the hood isn't longer. It's exactly the same size. The prototype is at a marginally different angle which makes it look like that. Want proof? Just look at the front grill, you can see more grill on the prototype pic.

2 - the rear end has exactly the same slope. Once again it's due to the angle that it looks different.

3 - the roof isn't higher. Once again, due to the angle of the pic. Want more proof? Look at the prototype pic and you'll see the centre of the hood, yet in the press release pic you'll just see the crease in the hood.

Case closed
I have to agree with rayaans that this is the same as production. In addition to the slightly different picture angle, the seemingly taller roof height can be attributable to the thick camo cladding that wraps above the silver roof rails giving it the extra 1.5-2 inches. The only piece that still bothers me is the roof spoiler is higher on the prototype than the production version which may be due to the camera angle...

Reactions: CIF

NVlaar

Follower
Reactions
Looks like the floating roofline has been replaced with ordinary glass for better visibility.

Reactions
They look virtually identical but it appears that the camouflaged RX is pointed slightly toward the camera. (Look at the amount of rear, passenger-side tire showing in both pics.) that makes me wonder if the difference in length is actually more than what these side-by-side pics suggest.

If it's not a 7-seat version, I wonder what is hiding under there.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I agree with rayaans and corradomr2. This looks to be the same size as the regular RX, and the differences can be attributed to camera angles and the extra cladding. There simply isn't enough space in the rear for a 3rd row if you look closely, considering it's the same body as a regular 4RX.

As for why it's camouflaged, I think there's a simple explanation here. Likely final testing being done in California and other places, and since the 4RX won't be out for another few months, they don't want the new design being seen in public streets just yet. This is standard protocol before the release of a new model or new redesign. As for the tinted windows, it's quite hot in California, so you know, it makes sense to have tinted windows.

It's a dubious headline and article at best, from AutoGuide. Bit of a sensationalist headline I would say.

Reactions
So will a 3rd row RX be available in 2015? I didn't like the ride of The GX. I like the Navigator but the dealer service deptarments remind me of truck stops. Have driven the Accura MDX, like the price, the space allocation to the third row, and especially the electric push button to move both second and third row seats, just didn't like the appearance and the reviews of owners. The Buick Enclave is nice but spouse said no to the GMC bailout.

Have emailed Lexus about third row seating with no response. Lexus dealers think it will be this year. This is exhausting! ???

Reactions
What's that flap doing behind the rear doors? Is Lexus trying to fool us or will it be able to charge the batteries and is this the first Lexus Plug-in Hybrid?

Reactions: Joe

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
Since it has such a flap on either side
Good remark... Repeatedly received confirmation that no plug-in hybrid is in the plannings, but this detail could perhaps show the opposite??? Or perhaps someone can find pics showing that all Toyota/Lexus 'camouflage pajamas' have a flap for tank filling on both sides?
This could still be a camouflaged regular new RX (which seems a bit strange given the official press pics available all over the web) or Lexus has something to hide on this one.
It is definitely not a 7 seater, that's for sure.

Edit: in any case, the camouflaged GS in 2012 didn't show the trap on both sides ;)

546b71f3d8510_-_2012-lexus-gs-prototype-autocross-action-lg.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Den

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Have emailed Lexus about third row seating with no response.

To be ignored like that, IMO, is not acceptable. You deserve to be treated with more respect than that. :) I can't remember the last time I was ignored after E-mailing an auto manufacturer....even if they did not (yet) have the answer to what I was asking.

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
To be ignored like that, IMO, is not acceptable. You deserve to be treated with more respect than that. :) I can't remember the last time I was ignored after E-mailing an auto manufacturer....even if they did not (yet) have the answer to what I was asking.
I agree. An answer should always be given, even if it is 'sorry, we can't give any comments on future product releases' ;)