5th Generation RX Discussion: Official Thread (RX 500h, 450h+, 350h and More)

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
So, should I get a RX 500h or a Cayenne e-hybrid or something else?

Bare in mind the tax rules in my country strongly favour electric, then chargeable hybrids and heavily punnish petrol as well as self-charging hybrids from Lexus.

Pros and cons would be nice.
If the tax rules heavily favour EVs and chargeable (plug-in) hybrids, and punish normal self-charging hybrids -- and you seem to be influenced by those rules -- why would you buy a non- (normal ICE) or lightly-electrified (self-charging hybrid)?

If you want the RX, why not wait for the RX h+ PHEV? The RX 500h is NOT a plug-in hybrid.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
So, should I get a RX 500h or a Cayenne e-hybrid or something else?

Bare in mind the tax rules in my country strongly favour electric, then chargeable hybrids and heavily punnish petrol as well as self-charging hybrids from Lexus.

Pros and cons would be nice.
If you want the car long-term and can later get an additional EV, the RX. If you change every two years, the Porsche. Just my opinion.

Jonas

Fan
Reactions
Ok, gentlemen, let me put it like this.

The tax rules set aside, just presume I don’t mind paying the taxes.

Quality, driving, prestanda, premium or even luxuary feeling, is RX 500h the car to have compared to the competition and why?

And I will never consider a Tesla…

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Ok, gentlemen, let me put it like this.

The tax rules set aside, just presume I don’t mind paying the taxes.

Quality, driving, prestanda, premium or even luxuary feeling, is RX 500h the car to have compared to the competition and why?

And I will never consider a Tesla…
Can't tell, SUVs/CUVs are not my type.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I haven't driven an RX 500h yet, but the outgoing RX 450h was among my favorites to drive in the Lexus lineup. Hopefully the new model carries the good attributes forward. I'd arrange a test drive and check it out.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I just put 1200 miles on the 500h in the sun and 4 hours in the rain and (I cannot believe I am trying this) i’m head over heels for this thing. It is unbelievable.

Oh did 3 hot laps at Daytona in it too. More to come….

Jonas

Fan
Reactions
I’m a bit worried losing the v6 - like it and have owned RCF, GSF and LC 500 - what’s the turbo in RX 500h like?

Like the RX 450h f- sport - my wife love it - and got it up to 215 km/h
on autobahn last summer, nice 😀

mikeavelli

Reactions
I’m a bit worried losing the v6 - like it and have owned RCF, GSF and LC 500 - what’s the turbo in RX 500h like?

Like the RX 450h f- sport - my wife love it - and got it up to 215 km/h
on autobahn last summer, nice 😀
It’s fast but not blistering, which reminds me of the GS 350 F sport. I know this chassis can handle more. It’s honestly too perfect of a match, would like to see 400-450hp to really exploit Direct-4 and the new platform.

Reactions
Just got mine and I am very pleasantly surprised. Had a 2020 RX 450H and this is simply far far superior in every respect. The only thing I am not a fan of is the seat bolstering. Pinches me somewhat. But the car drives great even in normal mode it has great power and just rides wonderfully. One other thing, I've only driven it about a half of a tank of gas but I am only getting 19 mpg. Don't know if there is just an engine break in period or what. Anyone else experience this?

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Just got mine and I am very pleasantly surprised. Had a 2020 RX 450H and this is simply far far superior in every respect. The only thing I am not a fan of is the seat bolstering. Pinches me somewhat. But the car drives great even in normal mode it has great power and just rides wonderfully. One other thing, I've only driven it about a half of a tank of gas but I am only getting 19 mpg. Don't know if there is just an engine break in period or what. Anyone else experience this?
Reset your fuel efficiency indicator. The dealer likely had it sitting on the lot idling for significant amounts of time while doing PDI.

Fuel efficiency should improve with time, too. My 4Runner improved by 10% from the first 10k to now at 70k.

Reactions
That did the trick. I love the vehicle. It is better than I thought it would be. The other downside is the gear shifter. I hate it. Really difficult to go thru and exit car wash as you have to put your foot on the brake to change gears. At the end of the wash, where the sign says DO NOT BRAKE, you have to brake in order to put the car in drive from neutral. Car does drive great though.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
That did the trick. I love the vehicle. It is better than I thought it would be. The other downside is the gear shifter. I hate it. Really difficult to go thru and exit car wash as you have to put your foot on the brake to change gears. At the end of the wash, where the sign says DO NOT BRAKE, you have to brake in order to put the car in drive from neutral. Car does drive great though.
Do you have the hold mode? My Corolla HB (and a number of other Toyotas I've driven) have a braking hold button where you can give a slight extra push on the brake pedal to have it "hold" the brake while in drive and stopped. Could use that instead.

Is that sign referring to not stopping after you've already started moving? Can't say I've seen that signage on any of the local car washes.