16th Generation Toyota Crown (Sedan, Cross, Sport, Estate/Signia)

What do you think it is?

• Lexus GS

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Toyota Crown

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters
Reactions

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
They are converting crown into a brand, now it makes sense in Asia but not in America because lexus is still not as prominent in Asia but the lineup is a bit baffling.

They gonna make a Crown brand everywhere eventually because they see customer retention a la Honda>Acura and that is something Lexus can't give them anywhere else except in USA. There are markets where Toyota customers consider Camry and Highlander as flagship products and Lexus is not even in equation for them. You could say these customers are clueless or Toyota is doing a bad job at marketing Lexus as next stepping stone for them.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
I feel like the GS won't have a place here anymore, the ES is moving higher, eventually will have the 500h powertrain inside. Rwd sedans don't sell well (execpt for compact segment) and that's why they canceled the GS. Although I think we're all here for the GS return. Lexus needs to focus on their compact sports sedans right now (IS/RC)

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
Could they be gunning for volkswagen straegy where
Toyota=Volkswagen
Crown=Audi
Lexus=Bentley
Toyota has expanded before by adding divisions such as Scion, Lexus and at one point wanted to create a Prius division (Prius C, Prius V, Prius Prime, etc.) which never happened for a Prius division. Eventually Akio shut down Scion. Not sure if Akio would like to take the Lexus division to an ultra luxury market segment. Crown is nice and Akio wants to capitalize on the Crown name and expand on it with four variants but I don't think he'll make it a complete separate division.

I do wish that Lexus does bring the GS (5th generation) back. Toyota has the platform (TNGA-L (Mirai, Crown sedan)) for it already.

Volkswagen has Audi, Bentley, Cupra, Lamborghini, Porsche, SEAT, Skoda, etc. which is more complex than how Toyota is structured.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
4930*1840*1540mm, wheelbase 2850mm

The demonstrated concept is probably a SWB version with much shorter rear doors than Toyota's render. The rumored LWB version has 3000mm wheelbase.

EDIT: never mind the dimensions are Crown Sport Cross.

Last edited:

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
4930*1840*1540mm, wheelbase 2850mm

The demonstrated concept is probably a SWB version with much shorter rear doors than Toyota's render. The rumored LWB version has 3000mm wheelbase.
These are estimates or are you getting these from somewhere?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
These are estimates or are you getting these from somewhere?
Nevermind the specs are for the Crown Sport Cross. Chinese media were confusing specs of these two models. No details of the Crown sedan was revealed. Reporters on site estimated the length to be over 5000mm and wheelbase to be over 2900mm. The short rear door could be perspective distortion.

Now that put a smile on my face!

Shouldn't be that way on the final product though?
The interior of the sedan is not revealed yet. That interior picture was taken from the Sport Cross that also launched at the Guangzhou Auto Show.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
Nevermind the specs are for the Crown Sport Cross. Chinese media were confusing specs of these two models. No details of the Crown sedan was revealed. Reporters on site estimated the length to be over 5000mm and wheelbase to be over 2900mm.
I think these could be about right, overall length and wheelbase would be over 1inch than the ES which I think is about right. And about 2 inches longer than S220 but same wheelbase at least

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
This year is gonna be such an exciting year. Crown Sport/Sedan, TX, GX, Taco, 4R? GH. We've heard nothing about the new Camry when it's due for a redesign this year.

nt01

Fan
Reactions
So the Crown Cross is named the Crown Sedan in North America. We are not getting the GA-L sedan, are we?