16th Generation Toyota Crown (Sedan, Cross, Sport, Estate/Signia)

What do you think it is?

• Lexus GS

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Toyota Crown

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters
Reactions
What could possibly be happening is that the S220 will not immediately be discontinued but remain in production alongside this model for a while longer. The S220 hasn't been in production for a while (so were several other models built on the same line) but production could resume as soon as they finish equipping the line to produce these. We've seen this before when the JPN Taxi (started October 2017) was initially produced alongside the Crown Comfort (ended January 2018).

While Japan is the only true market for the S220, they have been officially exported for the Indonesian government in a unique spec (2.5 Hybrid G Executive) which isn't even available back home. There was a press release announcing this in 2019 on the Indonesian Toyota website and depending on how you interpret the headline, it might suggest that S220 production will end in 2024. Some rumours have suggested that a low-profile, GA-L based longitudinal engined/RWD sedan is in development to be sold as part of the Crown family with a targeted release date of sometime in 2025 so this does line up.

If S220 production will indeed continue, it doesn't matter if this fails there because they can still buy those.

Screenshot_20220619-211356.png

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
What could possibly be happening is that the S220 will not immediately be discontinued but remain in production alongside this model for a while longer. The S220 hasn't been in production for a while but production could resume as soon as they finish equipping the line to produce these. We've seen this before when the JPN Taxi (started October 2017) was initially produced alongside the Crown Comfort (ended January 2018).

While Japan is the only true market for the S220, they have been officially exported for the Indonesian government in a unique spec (2.5 Hybrid G Executive) which isn't even available back home. There was a press release announcing this in 2019 on the Indonesian Toyota website and depending on how you interpret the headline, it might suggest that S220 production will end in 2024:

View attachment 6017
Lets hope that is true and it is succeeded by that rumoured for crown under development after they got negative feedback from dealers regarding this bag of ****

Reactions
Lets hope that is true and it is succeeded by that rumoured for crown under development after they got negative feedback from dealers regarding this bag of ****
I just made a few edits to my last post to expand upon what I had already said. Japanese Twitter was already freaking out over this vehicle even before the design was leaked.

Reactions
Can you blame them though and all that black plastic cladding on a "premium vehicle"
That's what the competition is doing and that's what sells overseas… anything to save the model I guess. Keep in mind that the S220 was already failing in Japan and mostly selling to cabbies and cops. Target demographic didn't want it, neither did the traditional buyers. Avalon and Crown sales were already declining by the time the S220 was announced. Perhaps the right move was to not make another Avalon and sell the S220 globally instead because it would have sold as an A6/Charger/E Class/5 series alternative.

And no, I didn't forget about the Crown-based GS. It seems like that wasn't the kind of E-segment sedan Lexus customers were looking for if the Avalon-based ES was outselling it. Given that Lexus buyers were looking for a more luxury-oriented FWD sedan while Toyota buyers were rejecting one, it may have made perfect sense for Toyota to be the brand with the sporty RWD sedan since they already have all the sports models like the 86 and Supra.

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
Well the 14th gen sold pretty well and back in 2020 after interviewing many previous crown owners general consensus was those ex owners weren't impressed with the new direction the 15th gen took and felt it was more European than japanese and the 16th gen is going to become a crossover in a price bracket above harrier and shared with the rx

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Avalon will not get cancelled since it is a huge success in China. I expect it the next Camry to grow in size (2870mm wheelbase) and become same model as Avalon like the Corolla/Levin two-car strategy.

This is not the first time an older generation Crown is offered alongside newer generation. The S130 was produced until 2000 and derived Crown Comfort was actually only discontinued in 2018.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
Avalon will not get cancelled since it is a huge success in China. I expect it the next Camry to grow in size (2870mm wheelbase) and become same model as Avalon like the Corolla/Levin two-car strategy.

This is not the first time an older generation Crown is offered alongside newer generation. The S130 was produced until 2000 and derived Crown Comfort was actually only discontinued in 2018.
Toyota has already confirmed that the Avalon is dead for the US after MY22. I believe it is only built in Kentucky. I'd wager that getting axed in the US means it is also dead for ROW.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Toyota has already confirmed that the Avalon is dead for the US after MY22. I believe it is only built in Kentucky. I'd wager that getting axed in the US means it is also dead for ROW.
What I'm saying is the next Camry will have a ChDM-only version called Avalon. It will be a Camry underneath just different styling. The Avalon as we know it is dead of course.

supra93

Expert
Reactions

2023-Toyota-Crown-42.jpg

2023-Toyota-Crown-56.jpg

2023-Toyota-Crown-40.jpg

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Looks good. Nice grand tourer for driving in more remote places, a more luxurious and elegant alternative to Subaru outback. A wagon version would not hurt though as an alternate to larger cargo area of RX.

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
If that is PHEV AWD I will buy one instantly to replace my ES300h. Bonus points if it's a hatchback.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Someone needs to get fired for this though 😂
Thats unnecessary.

If this is the final design, i dont know who they are going after? Are they predicting a hidden uptick in Subie Legacy sales due to market conditions?

If not:

Acura Makes the Ugliest Sedan imaginable.
Toyota: HOLD MY SAKI!

Last edited: