12th Generation E120 Toyota Corolla Thread (Hatch, Sedan, Cross, GR)

Lexucator

Fan
Reactions
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Lieberman’s automotive critiques are hit or miss, for me. I’m a bit surprised that he’s taken this stance considering he sang Toyota’s praises when he reviewed the Corolla XSE Hatch with the 6-speed manual transmission not too long ago. Many of these auto journalists look at the hard numbers only, not taking into consideration the emotion an automobile, like the GR Corolla, evokes.

The GR Corolla is impressive for a number of reasons, including the fact that Toyota was able to squeeze 300 hp from a 1.6 liter 3-cylinder engine and the amount of backing and support this automobile had/has from Mr. Toyoda himself.

Jeonsa

Fan
Reactions
Lieberman’s automotive critiques are hit or miss, for me. I’m a bit surprised that he’s taken this stance considering he sang Toyota’s praises when he reviewed the Corolla XSE Hatch with the 6-speed manual transmission not too long ago. Many of these auto journalists look at the hard numbers only, not taking into consideration the emotion an automobile, like the GR Corolla, evokes.

The GR Corolla is impressive for a number of reasons, including the fact that Toyota was able to squeeze 300 hp from a 1.6 liter 3-cylinder engine and the amount of backing and support this automobile had/has from Mr. Toyoda himself.
He’s a big Subaru WRX guy, his thing is Subaru (number wise) was doing this way before this car. Either way he sounds super salty. Could be hurt from the STI cancellation. Lol.

Lexucator

Fan
Reactions
He’s a big Subaru WRX guy, his thing is Subaru (number wise) was doing this way before this car. Either way he sounds super salty. Could be hurt from the STI cancellation. Lol.
I have read his work and watched his videos for years. I’m not lost on his love for the WRX. I think you’re spot on with your assessment.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
It would be a wonderful troll move if they leave the button there on production vehicle. "They say we hate EVs so there, have an EV mode button". Even better make it the exhaust bypass activation button so center exhaust is active all the time and call it "Emotional Vehicle Mode".

The partial truth in his comment is that 90s Japanese performance cars are just insane for their time that their specifications are relevant even after 25 years. If Japanese brands stayed on the same growth trajectory as the German brands did, we would be looking at 400PS Civic Si, 500PS STI, 600PS IS-F, 700PS Supra and 1000PS GT-R in 2022.

Last edited:

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I wonder how many units their allocating for each region. The number of folks talking about pre-orders and waitlists is quite impressive; higher then the 86/zupra.

Sidenote on the JL:
It could be as simple as its april 1st or he may be on to something (he did call out correctly the LC300 demise in the USDM).
Regardless the timing is I guess perfect for their next non-boring model in the form of the GR.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
I will like to see if Jason {Hagerty} agrees with his old colleague from motor trend. His point is valid only if this was a 4 cylinder engine but its not and almost half the size of the 4 cylinder from subaru in liters.

Also just to add to it, the 3.5 litre v6 in the GS IS RC the are putting out relatively the the same amount of power and torque what should those guys do.

Lol on that note I need help convincing my wife why I need a Gsf.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
I will like to see if Jason {Hagerty} agrees with his old colleague from motor trend. His point is valid only if this was a 4 cylinder engine but its not and almost half the size of the 4 cylinder from subaru in liters.

Also just to add to it, the 3.5 litre v6 in the GS IS RC the are putting out relatively the the same amount of power and torque what should those guys do.

Lol on that note I need help convincing my wife why I need a Gsf.
Go watch Jason Cammisa's post on Instagram, he seems to really like the GR Corolla.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
This is good video on outside with engine noise and instrument cluster:

keep in mind this is very much pre-production vehicle, a lot of things inside are really pre-production.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Jason had made i think a couple posts adoring it so far. Johnny’s post is really whack and disappointing. Then he adores a soulless 1300hp Lucid. Weird flex.
Lieberman is probably just salty that his near and baby got killed off lol, actually I did read some comments on youtube of other diehard Subie fans blaming Toyota for the death of the WRX STI, like wtf, what does Toyota even have anything to do with the WRX STI being killed off? Maybe a bit of vape would calm their nerves down.

JJohn341

Fan
Reactions
Why does Toyota/Lexus always go with Forged Pistons when they update their performance engines. Didnt they do the same with 2UR from ISF -> RCF. Is it to help Tuners?