2022 Mazda CX-60 PHEV

Motor

Expert
Reactions
Joining the UK line-up above the ever-popular 2022 Mazda CX-5, the Mazda CX-60 flagship SUV is launched with Mazda’s first plug-in hybrid technology powertrain, which combines a Skyactiv-G 2.5-litre four-cylinder petrol engine with a 100 kW electric motor and a 17.8 kWh high-capacity battery.
This combination of engine and motor delivers a total system output of 327ps and an abundant torque output of 500Nm – making it the most powerful road car Mazda has ever produced.

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
Naming confusion again. But wow that looks Italian line a Maserati. Nice! Interior Jw gorgeous! 325 or so hp! Nice!

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Can't say I'm really digging the exterior design (front isn't attractive and the sides/rear look generic), but as a total package, this is very nice for Mazda.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Some on here have to eat humble pie.

I don't like it much, but it is clearly a rear-wheel drive car, which is always acceptable (RWD BMW don't looks good either so...). I am astounded Mazda makes a new RWD car with I6 diesel. Very nice! I want to see the 6 sedan.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
1646760010954.png
Looks like the hybrid powertrain isn't a Toyota powertrain but fully Mazda! Also, an 8-speed DCT! Mazda really putting their all in. The red with all the chrome blacked out actually looks very nice. I can't wait for the wider US-spec CX-70.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions

These are the specs I found on carscoops.com.

Mazda CX-60
Length: 4,745 mm (186.8 inches)
Width: 1,890 mm (74.4 inches)
Height: 1,680 mm (66.1 inches)
Wheelbase: 2,870 mm (112.9 inches)

In comparison, I found these specs on Lexus.ca.

Lexus NX 250 (Canada)
Length: 4,662 mm (183.5 inches)
Width: 1,865 mm (73.4 inches)
Height: 1,672 mm (65.8 inches)
Wheelbase: 2,690 mm (105.9 inches)

Lexus RX 350 (Canada)
Length: 4,880 mm (192.1 inches)
Width: 1,895 mm (74.6 inches)
Height: 1,720 mm (67.7 inches)
Wheelbase: 2,789 mm (109.8 inches)

The CX-60 is only 3 inches longer than the NX, and considering that the Mazda is a RWD model with a long hood, it is an NX competitor rather than an RX competitor.

I expect the Mazda CX-70 to be closer in size to the RX.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
View attachment 5619
Looks like the hybrid powertrain isn't a Toyota powertrain but fully Mazda! Also, an 8-speed DCT! Mazda really putting their all in. The red with all the chrome blacked out actually looks very nice. I can't wait for the wider US-spec CX-70.
I saw nothing about a double-clutch (implying automated manual) transmission. All I see is 8-speed transmission with multi-plate clutch replacing the torque converter; I take this to mean that it is an 8-speed planetary gear automatic transmission with a clutch-pack rather than a torque converter.

My educated guess is that the 8-speed transmission is a revised and refined SkyActiv 6-speed (that has a lock-up torque converter) transmission.

And the hybrid system is probably of the P2 variety, sandwiching a single electric motor between engine and transmission.

mikeavelli

Reactions

These are the specs I found on carscoops.com.

Mazda CX-60
Length: 4,745 mm (186.8 inches)
Width: 1,890 mm (74.4 inches)
Height: 1,680 mm (66.1 inches)
Wheelbase: 2,870 mm (112.9 inches)

In comparison, I found these specs on Lexus.ca.

Lexus NX 250 (Canada)
Length: 4,662 mm (183.5 inches)
Width: 1,865 mm (73.4 inches)
Height: 1,672 mm (65.8 inches)
Wheelbase: 2,690 mm (105.9 inches)

Lexus RX 350 (Canada)
Length: 4,880 mm (192.1 inches)
Width: 1,895 mm (74.6 inches)
Height: 1,720 mm (67.7 inches)
Wheelbase: 2,789 mm (109.8 inches)

The CX-60 is only 3 inches longer than the NX, and considering that the Mazda is a RWD model with a long hood, it is an NX competitor rather than an RX competitor.

I expect the Mazda CX-70 to be closer in size to the RX.
Thanks! So a tweener.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
It's hard to justify buying any European brand plug-in SUVs now. NX and CX-60 PHV are just better in every aspect.

NX and CX-60 use the same battery cells supplied by Panasonic using the PHEV2 standard form factor. Both are 96s1p@355.2V. For Toyota the nominal capacity is 51Ah while for Mazda/Honda it's rated at 50Ah. Each cell weighs 870g with an energy density of 217Wh/kg (NCM622).

The cell is also used on C-HR EV/UX300e/Honda e/MX-30 in 96s3p and 96s2p configurations. Toyota's pack has slightly higher energy density (130Wh/kg) compared to Honda/Mazda's designs (115Wh/kg) since the latter are liquid-cooled.

The interior design of CX-60 is better than NX. It seems Lexus is too preoccupied with tech they didn't give much thought into the design. They really need to trickle down some of the unique interior designs from LS to their lesser products, just with cheaper materials and easier fabrication.

It's really sad a company as small as Mazda can outdo Honda and Nissan. Neither Acura nor Infiniti has anything remotely as impressive as CX-60.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Little Mazda can make something like this, so what's Honda's and Nissan's excuse? My guess is Honda and Nissan have become so content at making profit on cruise control from the sales of their respective econoboxes that they don't care much about making anything high-end and impressive anymore.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Little Mazda can make something like this, so what's Honda's and Nissan's excuse? My guess is Honda and Nissan have become so content at making profit on cruise control from the sales of their respective econoboxes that they don't care much about making anything high-end and impressive anymore.

We could say the same thing about Toyota too. Mazda has beaten Toyota, Honda, Lexus, Acura and Nissan to a RWD premium crossover. Infiniti had two of them, but of course, converted them into plebeian FWD CUVs.

Toyota, above all, has had all the hardware to make this a reality, but never chosen to do it.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
We could say the same thing about Toyota too. Mazda has beaten Toyota, Honda, Lexus, Acura and Nissan to a RWD premium crossover. Infiniti had two of them, but of course, converted them into plebeian FWD CUVs.

Toyota, above all, has had all the hardware to make this a reality, but never chosen to do it.

Mazda has a year end of mar 31.

Mazda since 2017 has gone from 38 to 39% COGS.

They’ve gone from 1.96% operating margin to 0.15% in that time.
Toyotas operating margin went from 7.2% to 8.1%.

Their pre tax income has gone from 2% to 0%, and their net income has gone negative.
Toyotas pre tax net income margin went from 7.9% to 10.8%.

Their capital spending and R&D has gone up relative to their top line in that same time.
Cash flow from operations went from 2.5% to 2%.
Just eyeballing the last 9mo, Toyota has gone from 9% to 11% year over year.

I thought we could take a moment to appreciate why Toyota does what it does.
Because it works.

mikeavelli

Reactions
ACuRa is Honda plus and Infiniti is nissan plus. They are rarely cross shopped. Unfortunately they advertise and market like they are not. With Genesis and now Mazda with RWD, ACuRa and Infinti will continue to drop lower in the totem pole.

Let’s also be clear RWD is no guarantee of success. But being a CUV sure helps greatly.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions

Well technically Lexus has a longitudinal RWD platform SUV that's extremely capable and luxurious and expensive. Different priorities.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
Mazda has a year end of mar 31.

Mazda since 2017 has gone from 38 to 39% COGS.

They’ve gone from 1.96% operating margin to 0.15% in that time.
Toyotas operating margin went from 7.2% to 8.1%.

Their pre tax income has gone from 2% to 0%, and their net income has gone negative.
Toyotas pre tax net income margin went from 7.9% to 10.8%.

Their capital spending and R&D has gone up relative to their top line in that same time.
Cash flow from operations went from 2.5% to 2%.
Just eyeballing the last 9mo, Toyota has gone from 9% to 11% year over year.

I thought we could take a moment to appreciate why Toyota does what it does.
Because it works.
Toyota (and Honda also, but perhaps not Acura now) is well-known for building what its customers want and what sells (but not necessarily what enthusiasts want), which explains why Toyota continues to do so well.

ACuRa is Honda plus and Infiniti is nissan plus. They are rarely cross shopped. Unfortunately they advertise and market like they are not. With Genesis and now Mazda with RWD, ACuRa and Infinti will continue to drop lower in the totem pole.

Let’s also be clear RWD is no guarantee of success. But being a CUV sure helps greatly.
A (RWD) crossover should have a much greater chance of success than a mid-size (RWD) sedan (mid-size sedans are just not selling now), so the new CX-60, CX-70, CX-80, CX-90 CUVs should sell better than a new RWD Mazda6 sedan.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I hope they do extremely well and price these things accordingly because they bet the farm on these new products.

Side note for the above comment: I was looking at the Type S MDX press blitz, and I was impressed with the product, until I saw pricing...$66k-72k. That is not a strong suite, and dare I say they might have priced themselves of the out of the clientele for that vehicle. Hopefully Mazda runs alot of focus groups before pricing their NADM models.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
I hope they do extremely well and price these things accordingly because they bet the farm on these new products.

Side note for the above comment: I was looking at the Type S MDX press blitz, and I was impressed with the product, until I saw pricing...$66k-72k. That is not a strong suite, and dare I say they might have priced themselves of the out of the clientele for that vehicle. Hopefully Mazda runs alot of focus groups before pricing their NADM models.
So Acura's flagship model right now is a high performance variant of their 3 row crossover with an uncompetitive powertrain, cool🤣.

mikeavelli

Reactions

So Acura's flagship model right now is a high performance variant of their 3 row crossover with an uncompetitive powertrain, cool🤣.

Type-S is a complete joke. They market them as track oriented performance cars and they don’t even perform as good as a base model German car or suv.

To make matters worse. The MDX Type S is rated at 19 MPG. The LX 600 with 50+ more more hp and 900lbs heavier os rated at 19 MPG.

70k to be slowest around but you get giant exhaust pipes

Here we have Mazda with a RWD based plug in.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Toyota (and Honda also, but perhaps not Acura now) is well-known for building what its customers want and what sells (but not necessarily what enthusiasts want), which explains why Toyota continues to do so well.

A (RWD) crossover should have a much greater chance of success than a mid-size (RWD) sedan (mid-size sedans are just not selling now), so the new CX-60, CX-70, CX-80, CX-90 CUVs should sell better than a new RWD Mazda6 sedan.

As much as I like RWD it’s been proven most consumers don’t even know the difference. They just buy what they like. It also hurts packaging for a cuv. Alas I hope to be wrong and this sells for Mazda.

I had a Telluride owner tell me his car was the same as a gv80. He had no concept that his car was a fwd based cuv and the GV80 was a RWD based one and totally different.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Type-S is a complete joke. They market them as track oriented performance cars and they don’t even perform as good as a base model German car or suv.

To make matters worse. The MDX Type S is rated at 19 MPG. The LX 600 with 50+ more more hp and 900lbs heavier os rated at 19 MPG.

70k to be slowest around but you get giant exhaust pipes

Here we have Mazda with a RWD based plug in.
They're competition is other premium FWD 7 seat vehicles like the RX-L, XC90, QX60, and dare I say Q7. Compared to the "performance" (lol) of those the type S holds its own well.

Pricing though is what will ultimately break this imho because, how many of those buyers are interested in a 70K Premium Plus Product when you can pick up the something more badge endowed. This happened with Lexus (RC/GSF albeit not premium plus but did not appeal to the M/AMG crowd) and should be a concern for Mazda who wants to move upmarket.

Yes the CX60 is amazing, but if this vehicle costs anywhere near those premium plus marques like a RDX, QX50, XC60 etc, why Mazda? Will the dealership quality improve, will warranty coverage increase, whats its "USP"?

For giggles though:
Finally LX might be faster, but the type S MDX got them massaging Seats and a pano roof :LOL: