Toyota BZ4X

larryren

Follower
Reactions
I was wondering why BZ4X officially started production last August but takes another 8 months to arrive at the market. It seems these are a special batch produced for Winter Olympics, not the final production spec.
View attachment 5517
Same for the Coaster FCV. The commercial version will only arrive towards the end of the year.
View attachment 5518
For Winter Olympics BZ4X I think is made by Motomachi Factory.
(Some Chinese media have been photo the Solterra's nameplate).
It using pre-production vehicle correctly.....

larryren

Follower
Reactions
Greeting LE's Friends. Here had some screenshots from Tianjin TV news progamme.
Tianjin Goverment leaderships visited FAW-Toyota's new factory few day ago. It shown worker using pre-product BZ4X to training final assemble.
And we can see the introduction picture said "Code 031D" Chinese name not released yet, and produced jointly with GAC Toyota in China.
The sliver demo car it not equipped "yoke-style"steering wheel, I think it will be using at some trim or just a optional configuration.
149.png231.png155.png156.png

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Pricing for the UK goes from 41.950GBP up to 51.550GBP (for the limited edition Premier).

Source: https://mag.toyota.co.uk/all-new-toyota-bz4x-makes-world-debut/

For reference, TMY LR starts at 54.990GBP, the RAV4 PHV goes from 42.575GBP and the UX300e starts from 41.750GBP.

Pretty good IMHO!

It is priced similar to VW and Skoda models of same battery size, but there are cheaper electrics suvs around.

Nikkei JP is reporting 60k production first fiscal year and 50k next one, that seems like very small to me.

Will1991

Reactions
Do you have the source link?
50.000 BZ4X for 2023 makes no sense to me… Europe alone can buy that several times over by 2023.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Do you have the source link?
50.000 BZ4X for 2023 makes no sense to me… Europe alone can buy that several times over by 2023.

Under a plan provided to suppliers in late January, Toyota plans to begin production in April, targeting just under 60,000 units worldwide in fiscal 2022 -- more than the 14,000 electric vehicles it sold in 2021. It aims to make about 50,000 units in fiscal 2023.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
well it might make "some" sense:
- In the USA, they might limit sales to certain states until 2025 when they plan to produce BEVs locally
- US might be more served with RZ that Europe wont get much of
- Europe might end up getting 40k-50k units first year (which is more than half of Rav4 sales in Western Europe btw), which is plenty actually and then e-tnga should be arriving in 2023 possibly which will be more suited for European tastes anyway.
- Chinese editions will be produced in China, and wont be under this 60k, 50k targets.

That is only thing that makes sense to me, I would think in California they would be able to sell a lot of these, but who am I.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
2025 is the magical target. Dare I say one should wait to enter a new TMC branded EV until then.
In my opinion… That’s a really stupid decision from TMC.
The battery capacity, and moving units below cost to grab marketshare are challenges TMC faces.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
If we think about it, they are moving from 16k bev production to probably 100k production in fiscal 2022, which is huge difference.

We just want them to be leader today, which is simply not possible.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
2025 is the magical target. Dare I say one should wait to enter a new TMC branded EV until then.

The battery capacity, and moving units below cost to grab marketshare are challenges TMC faces.
It is likely to be my case anyway, because I'll wait to see where the market/world will be in three years, and because by that time electric CHR and IS should arrive, which are the car categories I am interested in.

Motor

Expert
Reactions

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I you have the source link?
I think by then there will also be BZ3 and BZ6. They will use a lot of capacity so BZ4 takes a slight hit.

For FY22 they will be stuck with 6GWh/yr shared between PHVs and BEVs. They are converting a Sanyo factory they inherited from Panasonic from consumer batteries to car batteries and it will come online at the end of the year.

Behind the scenes they were planning to take over Panasonic's entire battery business and Panasonic is having none of it. That is currently their biggest hurdle towards 280GWh/yr by 2030.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I am thinking TMC lost a great opportunity to build on what they did in the last 7 to 8 decades

This BZ4X need to be renamed RAV4 EV to build on RAV4 history and current hype

Same must goes with all the new EVs

Will1991

Reactions

It seems to be a solid car, nice to know! Not perfect, but a good all-rounder.

I think by then there will also be BZ3 and BZ6. They will use a lot of capacity so BZ4 takes a slight hit.

For FY22 they will be stuck with 6GWh/yr shared between PHVs and BEVs. They are converting a Sanyo factory they inherited from Panasonic from consumer batteries to car batteries and it will come online at the end of the year.

Behind the scenes they were planning to take over Panasonic's entire battery business and Panasonic is having none of it. That is currently their biggest hurdle towards 280GWh/yr by 2030.

That’s quite the ramp up, hope it’s a linear growth to get those TMC BEV’s on the road.

For 6GWh we could get around 100.000 BEV’s or 300.000 PHEV’s, not amazing for 2022 IMO.

I am thinking TMC lost a great opportunity to build on what they did in the last 7 to 8 decades

Agreed. They invested on HEV’s when everyone else call them mad and look now, who was right.

they had the production-ready iQ-EV by 2012 but somehow it seems they pull the brakes and stopped…. Even PHEV’s, the Prius Prime still is amazingly efficient, but we had to wait until the RAV4 Prime and now the NX450h+ to get a PHEV that most of us would like to have.

Reactions
Compared to Electrify America, the EvGO network locations are bare in my neck of the woods

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I assume electrify america was too big of a "Diess" for Toyota to even consider partnering up with

Last edited:

Levi

Expert
Reactions
"doesn't have a stand out USP"

What Toyota has one? What other Toyota rivals have one? Germans have badge, Tesla has Superchargers, range, performance and poor build quality. Toyota has always been "boring" bar some exceptions, Toyota will remain that way until the recipe works.