krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
2021-12-14-lexus-ev-range.jpg

It’s difficult to parse exactly what happened to the Lexus brand today. At first glance, the biggest news appeared to be the announcement that Lexus would go full-electric in its major markets by 2030, just eight years away.
But this major unprecedented shift in brand strategy quickly became overshadowed by the sheer volume of brand new models and concepts — this single photo shows thirteen vehicles, and it’s possible only two have been seen previously. I’m going to number them for simplicity’s sake.
2021-12-14-lexus-ev-range-numbered.jpg

(1) and (4) seem to be two sides of the same EV LFA coin, one a hardtop, the other a convertible.
2021-12-14-lexus-range-slide-1.jpg

(2) (3) and (5) all seem to be related, with (5) being a semi-traditional sedan, (3) being a fastback wagon variant, and (2)...

Continue reading...

supra93

Expert
Reactions
I think the convertible is different from the "EV LFA II concept".

If I had to guess what they will preview if anything:

1. RC/IS convertible
2. IS wagon
3. IS cross
5. IS sedan

Lexus-EV-Range-Selection.jpg

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
going over QA they asked why is Lexus going all EV - answer was that market is shifting rapidly and that luxury buyer is fastly moving into the EV, and they had to follow markets.

As simple as that.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
I think the convertible is different from the "EV LFA II concept".

If I had to guess what they will preview if anything:

1. RC/IS convertible
2. IS wagon
3. IS cross
5. IS sedan

Looking at it now, you're definitely right. It doesn't have the same front end as the EVLFA, though every model on that side looks like a photoshop.

mikeavelli

Reactions
As I’ve been very vocal about I am super excited with the new leadership in place. These people are exited car enthusiasts. These are exciting sedans and coupe EVs not just cUVs coming, Note the Toyota side was exciting as well.

Exciting!

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Definitely not considering the Macan EV, no matter how good it is. Still could an Acura BEV though with SH-AWD.

Will likely stick with a Lexus BEV (non-SUV) and it's going to be a tough choice choosing among some of those variants, with the dimensions close to the IS.

LarryT

Follower
Reactions
Actually I don't think it looks big at all compared to the other cars. I think the LS will die off.

Your sentiment on the future of the LS makes perfect sense especially when you consider the wayward 5th generation LS.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Anyone thinking the center car is a LS concept? It looks pretty big.

View attachment 5348

There are so many graphics and images floating around that I missed this one and agree - I think that's probably the LS. It has some "LS" flair in the body lines and looks like an evolution of the 5LS we have now, perhaps with a much needed taller greenhouse!

Lexus already confirmed the next gen LS, so it's not dying. The comment that was made was something like "Not a lot of people will understand where we are going with the next LS" or something similar.

Seems to me these images reveal a healthy future for IS-ES-LS, which is a relief IMO. Lexus sedans have seen/will have experienced about 20 years of transition and mismanagement with platforms, powertrains and product positioning, but I think removing the GS and then new technology advancements for EVs will finally bring some clarity and better overall products.

Motor

Expert
Reactions
@supra93 , I don't find that picture on the Global Toyota Newsroom, where did you get it?
I think he got it from here:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
This is what I pointed out too, they scrapped that design because it relies too heavily on the spindle grille and it's clear from these concepts that the spindle grille is not in Lexus's future - at least not stuff that isn't an SUV.

you mean they scrapped the car they just showed, overnight? hah. I doubt that.
They probably did not want to reveal it yet.