krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
2021-03-23-lexus-lf-z-gallery-2-1.jpg

Lexus has announced a plan to go full battery-electric in North America, Europe and China by the year 2030, followed by a full global switch to EV by 2035. Lexus also expects to grow sales to 1,000,000 vehicles per year by that time.
As part of this stunning announcement, Toyota president Akio Toyota and Lexus president Koji Sato spent some time in an RZ 450e prototype:

There were also a couple new images of the production model released, showing off the smooth front-end and plenty of detailing at the rear:

2021-03-23-lexus-lf-z-gallery-1-1024x683.jpg

2021-03-23-lexus-lf-z-gallery-2-1-1024x683.jpg

(This is a major departure for the Lexus brand, one that will definitely take some time to...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Will1991

Reactions
And full EV worldwide by 2035, my bet is going to the LX, getting another 15-year lifecycle for this generation.

Today was a tremendous day for Lexus, but to be honest, wasn't expecting full EV for North America by 2030...

They also say EV, not BEV, perhaps some Lexus FCEV are coming? Next-gen LS since there's no concept for a LS size sedan?

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I think this was from WSJ:

On Tuesday, it reinforced its commitment to battery electric vehicles, saying it will supply 30 EV models by 2030 and aim to sell 3.5 million electric batteries globally by 2030.

Toyota also said that 100% of vehicles in its luxury Lexus brand will be electric cars globally by 2035. The Lexus brand aims for battery electric vehicles to account for 100% of total sales in Europe, North America and China by 2030, Toyota said .

The automaker said it would invest 2 trillion yen, or $17.6 billion, in battery technology.

Lucid, Fisker, Rivian and Canoo are among the well-funded startups racing to launch new electric cars. The Wall Street Journal asked CEOs and industry insiders how new car companies plan to challenge Tesla’s market dominance and engage with old automakers.

The company had previously said it would offer 15 battery EV models by 2025.

Toyota President Akio Toyoda said the automaker wants to reduce carbon dioxide emissions as much as possible and as quickly as possible.

Previously, Mr. Toyoda expressed skepticism about the auto industry’s move toward electric batteries. He said vehicles are not necessarily environmentally friendly if the electricity they use comes from fossil fuels.

Demetrius

Founding Member
Reactions
Personally, can't say I'm super excited for this. I knew it was coming, but 9 years from now (almost 8) is a pretty short timeframe.

Need to scrape together the money for that IS 500...
Same. This was extremely sobering news to wake up to.
Like, you know it's coming, but you don't expect it THAT soon. I feel like they haven't even reached full potential on their PHEVs, HEVs, or even turbo's for that matter! Throw in the hydrogen technology and I do wonder how much semantics are behind the word 'electric.'

Demetrius

Founding Member
Reactions
Looks like I'll be be waiting for that final model year LC, knowing it's the best and last version of itself

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Looks like I'll be be waiting for that final model year LC, knowing it's the best and last version of itself

That's what I'm thinking too... Yeah, it's 2x the value of an IS 500, but might be worth it to have an LC 500 once the car, and V8s, are gone forever.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I'm not unhappy about this announcement, per se, but EV technology and charging infrastructure are going to have to come a long way over the next few years to make sense for my lifestyle, primarily long road trips and such.

Like @Demetrius said, I was looking most forward to a generation of ICE+Hybrid products to transition us into full BEV, as I think that would be Lexus at their (near term) best.

Pretty interesting to me how Akio has been all over the board with electrification, from "it doesn't make sense" to "we're doing the entire Lexus brand in 8 years." I wonder what changed - it's pretty dramatic.

Also, nothing I see in any of these pics seems "LS" to me. Where's that at...?

Demetrius

Founding Member
Reactions
I'm not unhappy about this announcement, per se, but EV technology and charging infrastructure are going to have to come a long way over the next few years to make sense for my lifestyle, primarily long road trips and such.

Like @Demetrius said, I was looking most forward to a generation of ICE+Hybrid products to transition us into full BEV, as I think that would be Lexus at their (near term) best.

Pretty interesting to me how Akio has been all over the board with electrification, from "it doesn't make sense" to "we're doing the entire Lexus brand in 8 years." I wonder what changed - it's pretty dramatic.

Also, nothing I see in any of these pics seems "LS" to me. Where's that at...?
Right, its not all doom and gloom. It's just mixed feelings.
Looking at this from an EV roadmap standpoint, those are very attractive vehicles and probably better than what I thought Lexus was going to produce. An LFA successor, several shooting brake/hatchback designs, a sports sedan, and new SUVs. These are things we've wanted as enthusiasts, but always thought of them as ICE/ICEV products.

Reactions
Ha, called this months ago when the LF-1 debuted, much to the chagrin of folks here. Even Akio can't ignore stock valuations, apparently. Public markets will demand Toyota ditch hybrids next. BEV or bust!

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Would be interesting to see what Lexus does for the next generation F cars. The 2UR and RCF are only being kept alive to meet the RCF GT3 platform homologation requirements till 2023 when the GT3 will retire.

Considering the next gen F cars won't show up until 2025 - 2026, it makes me think there will be no twin turbo V6 F cars as had been rumored since the product cycle would be way too short for such a long R&D cycle (and cost).

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
I drove two Teslas over 6 years and now have PHEV and gas. To be honest I'd rather have a PHEV right now because the DC infrastructure isn't there yet. The EV driving experience is pretty awesome though.

I think this is the right move in the long run, politicians and EV fanboys will rejoice LOL

Levi

Expert
Reactions
EV fanboys will forever hate Toyota BEVs. Some people just hate (not simply dislike) Toyota. Hating Toyota is all the sense of their life.

TMC is not a stupid company. They know what to do. Should BEV bubble collapse, Toyota can quickly get back to making ICEVs. The problem in the future will not be BEVs, but police state surveillance.

Reactions
EV fanboys will forever hate Toyota BEVs. Some people just hate (not simply dislike) Toyota. Hating Toyota is all the sense of their life.

TMC is not a stupid company. They know what to do. Should BEV bubble collapse, Toyota can quickly get back to making ICEVs. The problem in the future will not be BEVs, but police state surveillance.
Bruh, I drive an RX & can't wait for a well-built BEV from Lexus. I suspect I'm not the only one. Long overdue shift imo

OlFius

Founding Member
Reactions
Will Lexus make other cars for Japan? Just asking because Japan is missing from their "full battery-electric" plan.
Wasn't it the big boss of Toyota, who a few months ago was convinced that electric driving was not the future?
Apparently it was impossible, in Japan, to generate enough electricity if everyone drives electrically.

Let us hope then that all those other countries have no problems with their electricity production. Certainly in Europe, the switch cannot be made fast enough, but whether we are ready....

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
So the full lineup of EVs comes in 8 or 9 years but what about the interim? What products will there be between 2022 and 2030? Will all models be electrified -- better hybrids and/or plug-in hybrids for each model currently in the lineup?

We will be in the market for new cars between now and 2030 so what can I expect?

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
So the full lineup of EVs comes in 8 or 9 years but what about the interim? What products will there be between 2022 and 2030? Will all models be electrified -- better hybrids and/or plug-in hybrids for each model currently in the lineup?

We will be in the market for new cars between now and 2030 so what can I expect?
TGNA till 2030. Then its cleaning season for each bespoke EV platform

Levi

Expert
Reactions

The interim? TMC makes the best HEVs and PHEVs. Nothing more needed till BEVs.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Will Lexus make other cars for Japan? Just asking because Japan is missing from their "full battery-electric" plan.
Wasn't it the big boss of Toyota, who a few months ago was convinced that electric driving was not the future?
Apparently it was impossible, in Japan, to generate enough electricity if everyone drives electrically.

Let us hope then that all those other countries have no problems with their electricity production. Certainly in Europe, the switch cannot be made fast enough, but whether we are ready....
That's why he said he will leave all options open. Should a full-EV society prove to be unsustainable they can always retract those claims.

The three major markets they talked about have good chances of establishing stable power grids for EVs. Will they be 100% clean? Probably not.

Lexus is a very small brand in Japan so even if Japan can't go full EV Lexus itself could be an EV-only brand. Same for the other minor markets.