Toyota Yaris Master Thread (Sedan & Hatch Discontinued for USA)

Motor

Expert
Reactions

As we’re talked through the new innovations by GR’s chief engineer, it’s clear that there is a burning sense of pride that the whole Toyota team has in Yaris GR. There’s always been a fastidiousness and refined efficiency deeply engrained within Japanese culture and both of these are put on startling display in the Yaris GR. This is the start of something big. The GR motif is set to beckon in a whole new age for Toyota. A move that is sure to reposition the brand in the mind of motorists. From here on in, any car dubbed a GR is a destined to be a performance vehicle.

The Yaris GR is just the beginning. A roaring, screaming, bat out of hell beginning.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Very in-depth review of the engine. Now I see why it could do such high compression ratio and such a high specific output at the same time.

b.ba

Fan
Reactions
Winner winner chicken dinner...

Which Is The Hottest?
There's no wrong answer here. Each of these cars is a brilliant take on the hot hatch formula.

The Honda Civic Type R, all wings and vents, edges and angles, is unapologetically—joyously—Japanese in design and execution. It is the hot hatch, Gundam style. Three years after its launch, it remains a benchmark model, with one of the finest front-drive chassis ever. The Type R finished fourth in our 2018 Best Driver's Car shootout, besting exotics such as the McLaren 720S and heavy-hitting sports sedans such as the BMW M5, for good reason.

But the GR Yaris is the hotter of these two hatches.
Link: https://www.motortrend.com/news/honda-civic-type-r-vs-toyota-gr-yaris-comparison-test-review/

Motor

Expert
Reactions

This hell-hot Yaris's new turbocharged 1.6-liter three-cylinder already blew our mental socks clean off with 257 hp and 265 lb-ft of torque when we drove it earlier last month, so DTE's claim of 310 horses and 298 lb-ft of torque should hit like a cattle-prod to the spinal cord. DTE unlocks this extra oomph by tuning the Yaris's ECU, modifying unspecified parameters for extra go. If we had to guess, this likely includes running richer (or leaner when required), a smidge more boost, and revised injection mapping.

So, are we getting a GR Corolla or a GR C-HR in The States? Has that been confirmed yet?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I personally think GR Corolla will be maybe next year, or later this year, with the 2.4T instead of the Yaris' 1.6T. The larger 4 should put it at ~300hp, close to the Civic Type R. If it comes with 257hp like the Yaris, it will be automatically met with, "Less powerful than the Type R" and I think GR is playing to win here.

Just my .02.

How about... GR Corolla Hatch, GR Corolla Sedan, and GR RAV4? Why not?!

I also wonder if GR Corolla will have AWD like the Yaris. Corolla hatch with 300hp and AWD would be... well...

tenor.gif

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
It's really hard to price it right. Either they go with 1.6 3cyl with FWD at <$35k or 2.4 4cyl with AWD at close to $40k. Problem is the G16E-GTS's real torque output is close to 400N.m which would make a FWD variant undrivable. And going with the more powerful option will just price it out of the market. Or Toyota could just follow the GR Yaris route to just sell the GR Corolla at a loss.

Reactions
It's really hard to price it right. Either they go with 1.6 3cyl with FWD at <$35k or 2.4 4cyl with AWD at close to $40k. Problem is the G16E-GTS's real torque output is close to 400N.m which would make a FWD variant undrivable. And going with the more powerful option will just price it out of the market. Or Toyota could just follow the GR Yaris route to just sell the GR Corolla at a loss.

This doesn't make any sense to me. I really doubt that Toyota would sell the GR Yaris at a loss. I'm pretty sure the engine and platform is being amortized among many of their products. Think about what makes up the GR Yaris platform-wise. Yes, there was a huge amount of R&D done for the car via their WRC team. However the G16E-GTS was made with the intention of debuting in this monster but then trickling towards other Toyota products.

The notion of selling the GR Yaris at a loss is flawed because there's two cars that Toyota makes that glaringly goes against your theory. The GR Supra and the 86. The reason why the GR Supra was codeveloped in the first place was to not lose money because they don't have the available platform to source and build a Supra off of. If your case was true you would have had Toyota building their own inline-six and would go to hell and back to create their own platform for the GR Supra as well. As for the 86 (née FRS), they would have built their own boxer 4-cylinder for it instead.

Think about the hypercar too. They won't be selling that at a loss because all of the work sourcing a platform is done with a snap of a finger because they have everything on hand, be it the engine, transmission, chassis, hybrid system and literally anything else you can think of.

Last edited:

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
For me the GR must be about bespoke

So for my crazy imagination, the GR Corolla need to be 3 cyl. but 2.0l instead of 1.6l of the GR Yaris

This will make it easily over the 300 hp

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

the will do exactly what they did with GR Yaris.

Yes, it is super expensive for Yaris but yes it is a great vehicle and it is selling great. It is PR car, right?