16th Generation Toyota Crown (Sedan, Cross, Sport, Estate/Signia)

What do you think it is?

• Lexus GS

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Toyota Crown

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
so a Panamera styled Crown. that don't sound bad considering Toyota don't really have anything along that line.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Really
Give me 1 sense of those ton for ruining a good classic heritage nameplate
This is a Crown.

This is also a Crown

This Crown wagon is a classic.

And there's even a Crown Van with lifted chassis. higher roof and longer trunk for police car/ambulance/hearse (I guess the first Crown 'Crossover')

In most of its history the Crown is a body-on-frame utility vehicle with solid axles (including the classic S130). It just happens to be sold with a sedan body shell.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I know
But every 1 of those variants never lived over 2 or 3 generations at maximum

+ I really hate the way the car companies forced us customers to enter it by doing lifted sedans and lifted hatchbacks and called it cuv coupe wth

How can they do it
I hate even all the CUV / SUV craze I had LC80 and only used the SUV in desert or off-road but what the automakers doing now is like committing a design suicide

Especially the European the French exactly whom don't have even AWD for the though called CUV / SUV same for the small Korean for the entery level Japanese, German and American

This is all insane , with no extra benefits over the sedan , hatchbacks or wagon whom can load way more stuff due to the lower COG than the lifted counterparts!

The other main problem is the electrification, and by time passes the car industry tends to go like the phone industry whom 2 to 5 major parts companies and every other company buying the parts either software os or any hardware from camera to processor from them

And that will lead us to the third problem , the lake of identity, every car maker with this sea of CUVs and SUVs are looking the same already, ex: the newly yesterday announced Infiniti QX55 is like a GLC coupe twin , this is a real lake of identity which will continue and increases by the time of full electrification

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
It's hard now to define which is which
But the old definition was
SUV = Sport Utility Vehicle aka body on frame 4WD / AWD vehicles
CUV = Crossover Utility Vehicle aka unibody vehicles which have the ability to get you over the snow or the sand on-road or beach sands nothing more which is until now no CUV can enter the deep off-road in confidence except LR and Jeep

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Isn't "a form between sedan and SUV" just a CUV?
You are correct. The crossover utility vehicle is a unibody (car)-based sport utility vehicle, rather than the original body-on-frame (truck)-based sport utility vehicle. So that originally included early car-based utility vehicles like the RAV4 and CR-V.

I believe that you can look at it from another perspective. CUVs like the RAV4 and CR-V were built down from SUVs (smaller, lighter but sits almost as high). But there are CUVs that are built up from cars; these are rugged cars like the Subaru Outback, VW Golf Alltrack, Audi A4 allroad, Porsche Taycan Cross and Toyota Corolla Trek. These cars-on-tiptoes (as opposed to cars-on-stilts) are more popular in Europe than North America but if the only station wagon that is available is an Alltrack or Trek, I would prefer the Trek to the RAV4.

Perhaps the new Crown will be a Trek model?

NVlaar

Follower
Reactions
Unfortunately, it seems the rumour of CUV Crown might be a real thing. Watch this video from 11:10 .

On a side note, next gen prius is also confirmed.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
^That's about as close to an official confirmation as you can get, before it's officially unveiled. Crown is changing, for sure.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Probably coming before LF-1 with 90% of the features at 50% of the cost 😂

That's exactly my thoughts

We may even see Lexus future with this vehicle
If it came fully loaded with everything and top notch quality that may means Lexus is no more

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Toyota sold over 10k Alphard in JDM in November.

Sedans are dead everywhere, just to different things.

Will1991

Reactions
Don't know what magazine this is, but a friend shared this render with me:

image.png