5th Generation (2018+) Lexus LS 500 & LS 500h Megathread

yiantony

Fan
Reactions
The blade headlight is not coming to US right? The changes overall are minor, which I would have thought a bad thing. However, after seeing what Mercedes is gonna bring to S, I would rather the carmaker still retain what was regarded as 'old' instead of bringing Tesla clone.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
The blade headlight is not coming to US right? The changes overall are minor, which I would have thought a bad thing. However, after seeing what Mercedes is gonna bring to S, I would rather the carmaker still retain what was regarded as 'old' instead of bringing Tesla clone.

To my knowledge, the blade headlights and digital mirrors are currently not street-legal in the US.

I feel like the changes to the LS are exactly what it needed: more authoritative acceleration, a softer ride, and less engine noise. In other words, correcting back towards traditional luxury but while keeping (and adding) the latest tech.

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
I assume the digital mirror is different from the highlander and venza ones which retain a regular rearview mirror, but can be flipped via a switch?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I assume the digital mirror is different from the highlander and venza ones which retain a regular rearview mirror, but can be flipped via a switch?

It is the same product, just better resolution/screen

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
It is the same product, just better resolution/screen
Then I dont see why they wouldnt bring that over stateside. The blade scan lights, unless lexus gets an exception probably are not making it through

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I am so stoked to see what the highway teammate can do. I hope it doesnt remain LS only.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
To my knowledge, the blade headlights and digital mirrors are currently not street-legal in the US.
Active headlight high beam control (e.g. the BladeScan headlight) is illegal in the USA, as is the digital side view (wing) mirror, but the digital interior rear view mirror is now legal and has been since 2016, after the Cadillac CT6 first introduced it.

The technology has had some regulatory hurdles to overcome because it puts a screen into the driver's field of view. It received approval in the United States last year, and that only happened because it's an optional function.

"If it was something that was never able to turn off, that's when it becomes a safety hazard," says Mark Boyadjis, automotive analyst at IHS Markit.

Other car makers are seeing growing demand from their customers now that the technology is allowed. General Motors, for one, began offering rear-view screens last year as an option in the Cadillac CT6, with expansion following – including in Canada – to the Cadillac XT5, Chevrolet Traverse and Bolt.
Source: The Globe and Mail, Published December 6, 2017

It looks to me like a loophole because the streaming video rear view function is an option that can be turned off (switching to a regular rear view mirror).

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
I am so stoked to see what the highway teammate can do. I hope it doesnt remain LS only.
And will it actually beat Tesla's just-announced, self-proclaimed Level 5 system? :laughing:

I believe Teammate will eventually trickle down but I wonder how much the option will cost?

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
And will it actually beat Tesla's just-announced, self-proclaimed Level 5 system? :laughing:

I believe Teammate will eventually trickle down but I wonder how much the option will cost?
Not to be cynical but what part of Level 5 functionality is considered "basic"?

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
Lol after seeing the new S class yeah Lexus is in good hands. That interior looks like placing a tablet behind the stairing wheel and placing a laptop in the center I bet the HUD is a projector lol

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I'm quite excited to see some videos of what the Lexus Teammate can do.

Lexus will reveal its first car with autonomous driving capability this year but buyers will not be able use the feature to take their eyes off the road until an upgrade is issued at a later date.

The new model will be "hands off but not eyes off," Lexus President Koji Sato told Automotive News Europe on the sidelines of a Toyota press event here. "It will start from Level 2 but it will have over-the-air updates so that for the future we can update the level," Sato said.

The new Lexus model will feature an automated driving system called Highway Teammate developed by Denso that uses lidar as well as cameras to help guide the car.

The technology will enable the Lexus to automatically change lanes, follow lanes and pass vehicles in highway driving.

"Denso's opinion is that Level 3 is a bit of a compromise," Kumabe said. "I think that way of thinking is on the increase."

Lexus' Sato said current system for categorizing autonomous levels was too vague to be helpful. "Level 2 can almost cross to Level 3, and Level 3 sometimes also can be Level 2," he said.
Lexus's aim is roll out the technology to all models. "All out vehicles need to offer safe, confident drive," he said. "Our aim is to share and roll out this technology to other vehicles."

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
20-07-12-lexus-lidar-teammate.jpg

The updated Lexus LS flagship sedan will be offered with Lexus Teammate, a Level 2 autonomous driving system capable of automatically changing lanes and passing other vehicles on the highway. However, the technology may only be offered in Japan initially — from Automotive News:

Lexus Teammate, the company said, incorporates artificial intelligence and deep learning “for predicting and responding to various situations possibly encountered.”
The updated LS goes on sale in Japan later this year. Lexus declined to give further details about launches in other markets. Lexus Teammate is initially geared toward Japanese laws and regulations.

Lexus Teammate uses lidar to navigate on the highway, which can keep the vehicle in its lane, maintain vehicle-to-vehicle distance, change lanes and overtake other...

Continue reading...