mikeavelli

Reactions
I personally do not think more than NA V8 is useful, but again I am not one of those that can afford to buy and drive an new +600 PS car every year. But those cars are what make people buy run of the mill 4 cylinders.

By the time the LC-F comes out, even though better than equivalent rivals, those will be already on the next thing, even though Lexus could make the same thing today.

+800 ps 4.0l twin-turbo V8 plug-in hybrid

Of course no one will say the car is heavy. All said the Tesla S was heavy and could not handle, I never heard any complaints 2,300 kg of the Porsche Taycan.

If the Lexus LC-F came they'd say it is heavy and not worth it over a simple V8 turbo.

That is the position Lexus will have to live with, until Lexus either disappears, or the Germans disappear, but if that happens, the car industry will also be different compared to now.
What’s insane and a bit related is GM gives the CT6 it’s one all new V-8 and the car is seemingly canceled right away and now it seems this engine fits in NO OTHER GM VEHICLE.

Just crazy...

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
As excited as I am for Lexus to reveal and launch this TT V8, the engine I am most looking forward to is V35A-FTS (or some form of the TTV6... maybe a V35A-FKS?) + Li-ion battery pack, as a plug in hybrid or (standard) hybrid. Such a combo should theoretically be good for something like 500hp, tremendous torque, 30+ MPG and 0-40 in something like 4 seconds flat.

TTV8 would likely be cheaper to produce and better on track. Does that matter though? It seems like only PR wars matter.

I dont see a point of doing a sports coupe over 150k that can do one lap on track at full speed. Much less with fully integrated hybrid powertrain that will never be as sporty, when done right.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Hybrid (not plug-in) is good for a daily sporty car. The LC500h is just too good looking. Something smaller and lighter would be better, if Lexus makes a hybrid 4 cylinder version of the GT86.

If not NA V8 is plenty enough. The Genesis G80 V8 is an understated Lexus GS F.

Will1991

Reactions
Hybrid (not plug-in) is good for a daily sporty car. The LC500h is just too good looking. Something smaller and lighter would be better, if Lexus makes a hybrid 4 cylinder version of the GT86.

If not NA V8 is plenty enough. The Genesis G80 V8 is an understated Lexus GS F.

In my view Lexus already got a hybrid sporty coupe just right, a RC300h.

A LC500h is a truly masterpiece with incredible looks more suited as a Grand Tourer, simply get in and drive cross country. And it should return very good mileage!

Levi

Expert
Reactions
In my view Lexus already got a hybrid sporty coupe just right, a RC300h.

A LC500h is a truly masterpiece with incredible looks more suited as a Grand Tourer, simply get in and drive cross country. And it should return very good mileage!

I never have driven the RC 300h (or IS 300h), but on paper 0-100 km/h in 8.6 sec, barely faster than a Land Cruiser V8 Diesel (8.9 sec) is not impressive. It should have been around seven rather than nine.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
TTV8 would likely be cheaper to produce and better on track. Does that matter though? It seems like only PR wars matter.

I dont see a point of doing a sports coupe over 150k that can do one lap on track at full speed. Much less with fully integrated hybrid powertrain that will never be as sporty, when done right.

My point and excitement about TTV6 + hybrid is more about other applications, like LS and LX, vs LC F or similar. If Lexus does not have a "non F V8" planned, something around 500hp, then the combo of TT V6 + hybrid would fit the bill nicely and be an impressive technology showcase for Lexus.

Right now, TT V8s in the realm of 600-650hp are becoming quite common. Does Lexus need one? Yeah, but they needed it three years ago. As the world is becoming increasingly electric now, higher power ICE + hybrid has more value/status for a flagship luxury brand.

To your point, TTV6 + hybrid would not be the right fit for an LC F, IMO.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
My point and excitement about TTV6 + hybrid is more about other applications, like LS and LX, vs LC F or similar. If Lexus does not have a "non F V8" planned, something around 500hp, then the combo of TT V6 + hybrid would fit the bill nicely and be an impressive technology showcase for Lexus.

Right now, TT V8s in the realm of 600-650hp are becoming quite common. Does Lexus need one? Yeah, but they needed it three years ago. As the world is becoming increasingly electric now, higher power ICE + hybrid has more value/status for a flagship luxury brand.

Whatever the V8 setup you have, it could use hybrid component in the future, but first you have to have a modern V8 engine for it :).
Also questionable about what is needed in markets where Lexus is good, they will only need PHEV there because of regulations and not because of customers.

This is why I often mention PR - a lot of "increasingly" electric models on offer and PR vehicles... like EQC sold only 55 units in first 2 months in Germany... and everyone and their mom read about EQC and how awesome it is.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
This is why I often mention PR - a lot of "increasingly" electric models on offer and PR vehicles... like EQC sold only 55 units in first 2 months in Germany... and everyone and their mom read about EQC and how awesome it is.

The market for high-end performance BEVs is as small as the market for high-end performance ICEVs. Until BEVs are not an equivalent to a Camry (in the US, and for now only Tesla 3 comes close) or a Golf (in Western Europe), BEVs will not take off.

Reactions
Sorry, but all electric is very far away. Companies are in league with big governments (particularly Europe and the EU) to push this 'green' tech. But in the US all-electric has limited reach, figuratively and literally. I've lived in plenty of states, and while now I'm in the Pacific NW, I've seen the rural areas not just here but in TN, WV and NJ. Electric isn't gaining anything there. And in those areas there are plenty of well-off people who can and do drive these types of vehicles. While I can see the desire to appear as eco-friendly and want to be in compliance with fuel economy regulations, there's a BIG country that has no use or desire for these electric vehicles, hell, even hybrids. Not just the US either. This type of engine excites the well off in other areas of the World too. I hear Lexus has 200k+ sales in China ;)

mikeavelli

Reactions

Lincoln, and i mean LINCOLN currently offers a 3.5 twin turbo V-6 with 450hp. That is more than the Lexus engine. The Lincoln Aviator offers a 3.0 TT V-6 with electric engines making a whopping 494hp and 630lbs of torque.

Lincoln......

Lincoln.....

Lincoln.....

Audi just released a new SQ7 and SQ8 with a 4.0tt that makes 500hp.

500 is the old 300......Lexus has got to wake up and smell the coffee. This is someone that just bought two last year.

I drive a LX nearly everyday. I love the damn thing. I don't mind it being smaller. Its rare compared to an Escalade etc. It's a true off-roader if its needed. Its built like a tank and won't break down. It has decent tech with a solid interior. I will say the main negative for it is the performance or lack of it in regards to acceleration. Especially when the competition offers much MUCH more power AND MPG. Getting the least power and least MPG isn't cute lol.

Thus if Lexus doesn't enter the power wars, if they can win the MPG wars while still offering a big SUV, that will give the LX a key advantage. It needs to be a distinct and clear MPG advantage. Because the one thing I don't like and others I talk to with these vehicles is the piss poor MPG. But people in this class are not going to dump their big SUVs for a small one with more efficiency. Thus a high MPG (relatively speaking) LX would be a welcome addition, especially if its smaller with less power.

Last edited:

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
20-01-30-lexus-twin-turbo-v8.jpg

Lexus will publicly debut their new twin-turbo V8 in a LC coupe race car, and here we have our first video of the engine in action:

This engine, which is rumored to output over 600 horsepower in the much-anticipated LC F coupe, has been a topic of speculation for nearly six years. The LC race car will be participating in this year’s 24 Hours of Nürburgring race.

Continue reading...

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Ffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuua

This thing is a weapon. The sound is insane.

What is this i'm feeling? Is this... excitement about Lexus?!

Last edited: