maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
As it appears to be true , marketing wise they will put it in a lot of cars to equalise it's R&D and decreases it's ROI

the 4 large trucks ( LX / LandCruiser / Sequoia / Tundra)
the 4 medium trucks ( GX / Prado / 4Runner / Tacoma)
LS / LC / LF-1 limitless production version
Century & maybe Crown

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
As it appears to be true , marketing wise they will put it in a lot of cars to equalise it's R&D and decreases it's ROI

the 4 large trucks ( LX / LandCruiser / Sequoia / Tundra)
the 4 medium trucks ( GX / Prado / 4Runner / Tacoma)
LS / LC / LF-1 limitless production version
Century & maybe Crown

I doubt this will make it into the midsize group (Tacoma, GX, etc) - there's no need for a 500+ hp V8 in that class. For them, the TT V6 is plenty with 420hp. I haven't even heard anything about this V8 in relation to the Tundra, Land Cruiser or Sequoia.

I doubt there will be an LS F at this point with such dismal sales. Even just an LS 600 with this V8 would be perfectly fine, IMO.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I doubt it also, but with marketing view to reduce the R&D costs, and the ROI timespan you better spread it

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
There's a limit to how much economy of scale you can get by increasing the volume. Sharing components among LC-F, LS, LF-1, and LX could already hit diminishing returns because these components will be very expensive and high quality in the first place.

What's also interesting is how far Toyota plans to go with the V35A-FTS. Some engineering experts said the engine is very over-engineered that it could do the job in a F-car. It's a sleeping beast held back by the need to be super civilized in the LS500.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
So with the LC facelift we may see the 3.5V6TT replacing the 5.0NAV8 and the ?.?V8TT to top the line?

Last edited:

Hamed Al Ketbi

Founding Member
Reactions
Ohh good lord ... FINALLY, I've been waiting to hear this like FOREVER!! ... Honestly when Lexus does this. My opinion would be the PERFECT car brand in the world!!! WAITING patiently!!

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
What's also interesting is how far Toyota plans to go with the V35A-FTS. Some engineering experts said the engine is very over-engineered that it could do the job in a F-car. It's a sleeping beast held back by the need to be super civilized in the LS500.

If this is true, they would be wise to give it some sort of power bump at the refresh, maybe up to 430 or 450hp and 500lb-ft of torque. That would help get it closer to V8 rivals like Lexus originally planned/promised, and eliminate the need for a V8. I don't think many people care that much about cylinders these days, but the LS 500 doesn't feel particularly fast and nor is it V8-smooth. Retuning it for more power would at least solve the first problem. Adding a hybrid would solve the second 🙃

Going into something as heavy as an LX, I'm hoping they have a tune like the above planned: 450hp/500lb-ft of torque. The current LX is a good 1,500lbs heavier than the LS 500... so... yeah... gonna need some extra oomph. Navigator is already at 450hp/500lb-ft I think, and I assume the Escalade is going to get the Blackwing V8, which is 550hp and 640 lb-ft of torque. So an LX in the realm of 450hp for a TTV6 and 550-600hp for a TTV8 would be class competitive by the time it finally comes out.

Reactions
I knew the engine was still on. I didn't see anything credible saying the engine was off. My guess is they'll run it 2020 and 2021 to be shown off in LC F trim either late next year or early in 2021. I think that's their best bet. I also think the car will be released in early 2022 even though I hope it's earlier. Hard to imagine earlier because of the time of year to show off a sportscar, but probably alongside the updated model car.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
Very good news indeed and can't wait till it debuts on the whichever first Lexus model...most likely LC F...then maybe GS F...

yiantony

Fan
Reactions
It'd better be hitting the market soon enough... but I doubt that. The performance car market is in such a turmoil that every car maker would hesitate to invest more money because of policy change. and there is almost no "urgency" for the performance car market because the buyers are gonna buy because of limited choice.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
I just hope there is a top of the line TT and then a base new V-8 as well. I’m certain if the LS had a V-8 I would have one.
I just want it out already. I just saw the new RS7 and RSQ8 and I mean come on why can’t we do this? Why can’t we have more F cars and V8s? I know they aren’t high volume but you need people to be excited about the brand otherwise after they buy an RX or ES and look up they will go elsewhere...

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I personally do not think more than NA V8 is useful, but again I am not one of those that can afford to buy and drive an new +600 PS car every year. But those cars are what make people buy run of the mill 4 cylinders.

By the time the LC-F comes out, even though better than equivalent rivals, those will be already on the next thing, even though Lexus could make the same thing today.

+800 ps 4.0l twin-turbo V8 plug-in hybrid

Of course no one will say the car is heavy. All said the Tesla S was heavy and could not handle, I never heard any complaints 2,300 kg of the Porsche Taycan.

If the Lexus LC-F came they'd say it is heavy and not worth it over a simple V8 turbo.

That is the position Lexus will have to live with, until Lexus either disappears, or the Germans disappear, but if that happens, the car industry will also be different compared to now.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
@Levi , totally agree with you
Toyota even won the plug-in hybrid war from the first round with the new RAV4 prime, so the tech is here, they can put it unlike Toyota, they can put it in the TT mills as the performance approach of the normal hybrid

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
As excited as I am for Lexus to reveal and launch this TT V8, the engine I am most looking forward to is V35A-FTS (or some form of the TTV6... maybe a V35A-FKS?) + Li-ion battery pack, as a plug in hybrid or (standard) hybrid. Such a combo should theoretically be good for something like 500hp, tremendous torque, 30+ MPG and 0-40 in something like 4 seconds flat.

Reactions
As excited as I am for Lexus to reveal and launch this TT V8, the engine I am most looking forward to is V35A-FTS (or some form of the TTV6... maybe a V35A-FKS?) + Li-ion battery pack, as a plug in hybrid or (standard) hybrid. Such a combo should theoretically be good for something like 500hp, tremendous torque, 30+ MPG and 0-40 in something like 4 seconds flat.
That engine is coming soon. For hybrid Ls,lc, lx,tundra, land cruiser, sequoia,

Ian Schmidt

Reactions

Agreed, that combo would be ideal as the electric motor could cover for the turbo lag.

Reactions

I died a little when you said "0-40 in something like 4 seconds flat."

Lets hope for a plug in hybrid and not some type of mild hybrid bullshit FCA is doing.