Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
A passage that caught my eye in the Carsales article @krew commented on in the first Lexus production EV article is this:

They want to make the big announcement in November and [you'll get] some timing around PHEV as well," he said, confirming reports that Lexus will have its first plug-in hybrid vehicle online as soon as 2021.

With Toyota already confirming a Plug-In Hybrid version of RAV4 for the 2021 model year and its Lexus cousin the NX about to enter its 2nd-generation around that time frame, it's almost a no-brainer to suggest that 2NX will be Lexus' first plug-in hybrid.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Going slightly off-topic, the passage that caught my eye in the Carsales article @krew commented on above is this:

With Toyota already confirming a Plug-In Hybrid version of RAV4 for the 2021 model year and its Lexus cousin the NX about to enter its 2nd-generation around that time frame, it's almost a no-brainer to suggest that 2NX will be Lexus' first plug-in hybrid.

What about the rumours of a Camry PHEV? Does that mean that the ES will also get a PHEV model? If so, when? I would like an ES PHEV but if it is not coming soon, I may have to shop for something else.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
What about the rumours of a Camry PHEV? Does that mean that the ES will also get a PHEV model? If so, when? I would like an ES PHEV but if it is not coming soon, I may have to shop for something else.
Frankly, I haven't any rumors of a Camry / Avalon / ES plug-in hybrid. It would be cool if they did offer that, though. Then again, the way the world has gone crossover-crazy it's understandable that Toyota's 2nd plug-in after Prius Prime would be the RAV4.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Frankly, I haven't any rumors of a Camry / Avalon / ES plug-in hybrid. It would be cool if they did offer that, though. Then again, the way the world has gone crossover-crazy it's understandable that Toyota's 2nd plug-in after Prius Prime would be the RAV4.
Only confirmed PHV is Avalon at least for ChDM. There is no info of Camry or ES PHV.

The RAV4 PHV will be an international model and launch in US first. The Avalon might be ChDM only.

Starting from 2020 Lexus will be penalized in ChDM under the new emissions and CAFE rule. Their hybrid sales is not high enough to deal with the situation. So the best short-term solution for them is to develop PHV variants for the ES and NX, their biggest volume sellers. Both could be rushed out in a short timeframe since the engineering has already been done for the RAV4 and Avalon PHVs.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
19-11-03-lexus-nx-plugin-hybrid.jpg

Let’s roll back to last week and Lexus Australia CEO Scott Thomson’s interview with Carsales Australia:

“But we can’t give any more specifics. They want to make the big announcement in November [about a pure-electric vehicle and] some timing around PHEV as well,” he said, confirming reports that Lexus will have its first plug-in hybrid vehicle online as soon as 2021.

While most of our attention has been on the announcement of a Lexus-first EV, this mention of a plug-in hybrid deserves some thought. As Lexus Enthusiast writer Joaquin Ruhi points out in our forums:

With Toyota already confirming...

Continue reading...

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
Honestly, I have no problem if the next NX turn out to be HV or BEV or both

What made HS & CT failed is not the entirely hybrid technology but the lack of different power options

It was also a lack of any luxury and premium feeling inside the cabin. It was more of a serious Toyota than Lexus. When I tried CTs shifter I felt so disappointed, totally unlike any Lexus at the time. I don't think I've ever been inside HS cause that was so long time ago, that car didn't make any sense in US at the time.

Reactions
I have been waiting for Lexus to sell a PHEV for years. In my urban/suburban driving environment it just makes perfect sense. Driving a hybrid never gave me much benefit because it always seemed I would start my commute on a nearly dead battery and I would never get the advertised MPG.
I have turned my RC lease in early and bought a new BMW 530e iPerformance. I installed a level 2 charger in my garage for $300. I have been driving it for a couple months now and averaging just over 74 MPG (not MPGe). My electricity rate is $.079 kwh so it costs me about $.50 for 20 miles of range. I don't use the public chargers because every one I have come across so far costs more than gas. I really like having the option of running on gas or electricity. I look forward to my $4686 fed tax rebate too.
I guess I should change my avatar.

Last edited:

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
^ You bought or leased that BMW? How reliable are they now with those alleged biodegradable plastic engine and speed sensing components?

I always think of the entire equation, not just fuel savings because ownership is more than just gasoline cost.

But also, I'm sure that BMW drives like a rocket and fun to drive so enjoy your new ride.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I have been waiting for Lexus to sell a PHEV for years. In my urban/suburban driving environment it just makes perfect sense. Driving a hybrid never gave me much benefit because it always seemed I would start my commute on a nearly dead battery and I would never get the advertised MPG.
I have turned my RC lease in early and bought a new BMW 530e iPerformance. I installed a level 2 charger in my garage for $300. I have been driving it for a couple months now and averaging just over 74 MPG (not MPGe). My electricity rate is $.079 kwh so it costs me about $.50 for 20 miles of range. I don't use the public chargers because every one I have come across so far costs more than gas. I really like having the option of running on gas or electricity. I look forward to by $4686 fed tax rebate too.
I guess I should change my avatar.

congrats! Enjoy your vehicle, when it comes to TMC, new Rav4 PHEV will be showing us their ideas on PHEVs.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I believe it will be that way from how they will pushing it , within the next generations of Corolla, Camry , Avalon, Sienna and the facelift of the Highlander

Leaving the Prius to be a Model-S competitor as Mirai brother as the current formula

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I believe it will be that way from how they will pushing it , within the next generations of Corolla, Camry , Avalon, Sienna and the facelift of the Highlander

Leaving the Prius to be a Model-S competitor as Mirai brother as the current formula

if now is in 5-6 years who knows. But not tomorrow, not worldwide, as I just mentioned Rav4 PHEV wasnt even announced in Europe.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions

Upcoming PHEVs = better performance so if Toyota wants to sport a reliable but fun to drive car company, PHEV and BEV will be the way to go. Current halo Lexus cars are not selling briskly because many prospective customers like me want a BEV so Toyota better bring it on or I'll just drive my 02 Civic, 11 Accord and 16 RAV4H into the ground.

I don't mind paying $80k CAD for a nice Lexus BEV but am loathe to buy a new ICEV that I'm going to spend $2-3k / year on fuel on. I know it's all about perception and value proposition but BEVs do confer a lot of advantages but the one feature that will blow away many ICEV semi- performance cars is electric torque vectoring (may also reduce braking distance with negative torque/tire spin) for agile handling.

Last edited:
Reactions
^ You bought or leased that BMW? How reliable are they now with those alleged biodegradable plastic engine and speed sensing components?

I always think of the entire equation, not just fuel savings because ownership is more than just gasoline cost.

But also, I'm sure that BMW drives like a rocket and fun to drive so enjoy your new ride.

I purchased it because the incentives were too good to pass up.
This is my 8th BMW and they have treated me well. I usually don't keep them long enough to experience any age related component decomposition. My current X5 diesel has just over 70k miles and I have had no out of pocket expenses other than routine maintenance which costs about the same as my Lexus's, which I have had 5 (2 LS's, 2 current GS's, and the RC).
I am under no pretense that my BMWs will be as trouble free as my Lexus's. But to me they currently offer so much more by way of modern drivetrains, technology, efficiency, performance, and features. That to me is worth the one or two additional unscheduled dealer visits.
I like Lexus a lot. But they seem to have fallen way behind in areas that are important to me. These areas are probably not so important to the Lexus faithful so I'm sure they will do OK. But they have lost me for now. But I keep watching them :):)

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I purchased it because the incentives were too good to pass up.
This is my 8th BMW and they have treated me well. I usually don't keep them long enough to experience any age related component decomposition. My current X5 diesel has just over 70k miles and I have had no out of pocket expenses other than routine maintenance which costs about the same as my Lexus's, which I have had 5 (2 LS's, 2 current GS's, and the RC).
I am under no pretense that my BMWs will be as trouble free as my Lexus's. But to me they currently offer so much more by way of modern drivetrains, technology, efficiency, performance, and features. That to me is worth the one or two additional unscheduled dealer visits.
I like Lexus a lot. But they seem to have fallen way behind in areas that are important to me. These areas are probably not so important to the Lexus faithful so I'm sure they will do OK. But they have lost me for now. But I keep watching them :):)

I see. Here in Canada, BMW's come with the first four annual service for free and leases are much better than Lexus vehicles with high residuals.

With 13 vehicles in total, it's almost as if you change vehicles every 3-4 years, unless you have a S.O. (doubles the drivers) which lengthens your time of ownership. So yeah, not long enough for many cars to start breaking down post-warranty. 70k miles is also what, just barely past the first four years of warranty coverage.

BEVs will definitely shake up the auto industry, just like Tesla is taking up market share everywhere.

Things you want like modern drivetrains, technology, efficiency, performance, and features are all going to be easily met by BEVs, unless you're a piston head for life. Heck Lexus LSS 2.0 is standard across the line up.

I checked reviews of the higher-end Lexus vehicles and everyone does praise the handling of the vehicles and it's mostly the naturally aspirated engines (compared to German turbos) and infotainment system that are the top two complains. If the Tesla 3 can beat the 330i and the G70 as per Edmunds' review, I think given a few years, Lexus, Audi, Porsche (and hopefully Acura) will come up with really good BEVs.

I have a fall back in Honda with it's electric SH-AWD and I don't mind testing Audi if the high voltage system takes care of the electrical gremlins. 25 BEVs by 2025 is a lot compared to three for Lexus.

My money will likely be on a BEV because even the best ICEV with torque vectoring (most don't) will not be as responsive as a middle of the pack BEV with three electric motors, keeping most of suspension and chassis design consistent.

Don't get me wrong. I am not loyal to Lexus but given my time frame wherein I can wait until 2025, I might as well pick up a compelling Lexus BEV over a similar spec'ed BMW or Audi, it's almost common knowledge that over the long run the Lexus will be cheaper to maintain. But I'm in no way a die-hard Lexus at the moment because I know even Acura does make one of the better electric torque vectoring systems and they've gone electric on the NSX/RLX/MDX.

Also, the people here at Lexus Enthusiasts are very respectful and helpful, unlike some generic forums filled with EV fanboys.

Last edited:
Reactions
I see. Here in Canada, BMW's come with the first four annual service for free
Also, the people here at Lexus Enthusiasts are very respectful and helpful, unlike some generic forums filled with EV fanboys.

Yes, same with the BMW services in the US.
And I agree regarding the Lexus Enthusiast community/forum! I have been a member since its inception in 2007 as the Passionate Pursuit (my original user name was Enthusiast). Kevin Watts and the other members are all class!
BTW, this new BMW is my 36th vehicle. However, as I am now retired and getting older I am slowing down on my vehicle purchases.

Last edited: