maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I am not in debate about Acura here but i wanna clarify some points

1) Acura is NA only brand with the current NA market decrease rate Acura will face termination or be a global player or the minimum to be in China so Acura is turning by time to Honda USofA and Honda Canda

2) I know that the re-badged Legend was the RL not the RLX, but honestly do you really think that the RLX is differ in any way or another from RLX other than the name and I know it got new tech and that amazing SH-AWD but it's basically another generation from the RL

3) Legend name will return under Honda not under Acura which summarize all what I want to say

4) Infiniti at least tried to be international brand and failed so it still got some brand recognition even if it's a little bit unlike Acura

That said
I am really living in nostalgia of the Japanese 70th to early 00 era

Integra / S2000 / Prelude honestly even the Vigor was having some taste in it

all the Japanese corps have the same fatal mistake from 15 years ago they just seeks Quantity and sold there souls for money

Hope after that news about the new Mitsubishi Evolution, Mazda rotary coupe, Mazda i6, revival of Mark-X before it's death hour, revival of Supra even with this generation it's just a name, 86, next generation Skyline, Z & GT-R , revival of NSX, I start to see the revival revolution and hope it continues sharp and agile until we can be proud of those corps as before

Last edited:

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I'd hesitate to call the A90 Supra "just a name". We all know if Toyota had actually made it the ECU would be locked down and in general all you'd get from the aftermarket is aero and body kits. Instead, by all accounts, we're gonna be buried in meaningful aftermarket accessories at SEMA, including ones that genuinely improve performance.

But yes, I too miss the Japanese lineups of the 90s. Don't forget the MR2!

mikeavelli

Reactions
Maybe Lexus wants to bring back the SC line and I say yes! Lexus should also expand their coupe lines to include four door coupes.

RC 300/300h/350; coupe/convertible/4 door coupe = compete with 4 Series and A5
SC 400/400h; coupe/convertible/4 door coupe = compete with 6 Series and A7
LC 500/500h; coupe/convertible/4 door coupe = compete with 8 Series and A9

My marketing juices boil when I think how that lovely name and car SC isn't used anymore. It would sell just because of the name.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Mercedes debuted the first-generation CLS in 2004. The Audi A7 came in 2010. They both represent everything Lexus aspires to be, and yet it's 2020 and I'm crossing my fingers for a four-door coupe concept.

Yes indeed. We have talked about this before. Look how time flies. It will be 2020 and
CLS in 3rd generation
A7 in 2nd generation
6/8 gran coupe in 2nd generation
Panamera is arguably in the same mold.

Even down to
CLA 2nd generation
X6 third generations
GLC Coupe
GLE Coupe
Q8
etc etc

Ironically Acura with the ZDX debuted way ahead of the Germans sans X6 but was basically the worst product one would make. Crosstour did poorly as well but at least made production.

There is absolutely no denying these niche vehicles are what people want. None have bombed. They are growing in stature. It is shocking Lexus has not jumped on, especially considering these all use existing parts and platforms and are generally cheap to bring to market but bring high profits. In addition cars like the CLS63, RS7, M6/M8 bring additional sport and exclusivity and panache to the brands.

A Lexus GS 4 door coupe that looks great and has the usual Lexus features and drives great would be a nice sold niche car for the brand. Or hell call it the SC. But just bring it cause all the Germans have it.

C'mon Lexus do it!!!

mikeavelli

Reactions
@ssun30, I know what exactly you mean sir

My problem is as follows

Toyota and Lexus got only 5 logical solution incase TMC want Lexus to stay
1- Toyota becomes premium maker and compete with luxury maker Lexus ie " Audi & Volkswagen "

Or

2- Lexus becomes premium from it's current Luxury and compete away from ze Germans

Or

3- Lexus becomes a Jaguar / Maserati / Porsche luxury sport maker leaving the ES for Toyota as Windom as before and upgrading Mazda to take the role of the premium which is my preferable choice so you will have Toyota as the whole mainstream to luxury high end as is, you will have Mazda premium to compete with Acura, Lincoln, Buick and then you will have Lexus in new league than ze German 3

4- delete any intersected vehicles as RAV4 / NX one need to go , RX-7s / Highlander , ES / Avalon

5- have a total different group of management in the 2 companies, separate them entirely from each other

Other than any of those 5 or parts from here parts from there from all of them we may see Lexus as the new Acura / Infiniti

Honda can remove the plug now from Acura
NSX already sold everywhere as Honda
RLX already will be re-sold as Legend
TLX it's simply far worse dynamic wise from the current Accord same goes for the civic ILX
So on paper Acura got only 2 cars exclusive MDX & RDX which can be easily sold under Honda

Infiniti is even worse , with the next Skyline and if Nissan really wants to retain its lost sporty heritage they need to kill Infiniti lineup and replace it with the original names as skyline sedan instead of Q40 skyline coupe instead of Q50 CIMA and so on and their current CUVs lineup already been destroyed

I postulated years ago that Acura and Infniti's struggles hurt Lexus. Whereas you have Benz/BMW/Audi arguably on not just a level playing field but competitively trying to kill one another (I love it) for the past 30 years its been Lexus battling the Germans with the occasional hit from Acura/Infiniti which now today both struggle. In addition when Genesis gets their **** together, and they will, it is a new player from a new country further splitting the pie.

Today Lexus doesn't have the product of any of the Germans. Acura/Infiniti less so. Thus Japanese luxury as a whole suffers.

Send my Nobel Prize thanks hahahaa

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
My marketing juices boil when I think how that lovely name and car SC isn't used anymore. It would sell just because of the name.

I hears ya!

I remember the SC 300 with it's 2JZ-GE motor with a manual and the good'ol SC 400 with it's silky smooth 1UZ-FE V8 motor...ohhh those were the days...

As of current, looking at Lexus coupes the RC starts at $41,145, obviously with options and accessories price can easily go up. The LC starts at $92,950 and with options and accessories the price can certainly go up as well. There is a very big gap between $41,145 and $92,950 and maybe Lexus did that intentionally so that a mid-level coupe could slip right in between the RC and LC...voilà...in slips the SC Lexus coupe...

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
There is a very big gap between $41,145 and $92,950 and maybe Lexus did that intentionally so that a mid-level coupe could slip right in between the RC and LC...voilà...in slips the SC Lexus coupe...

That would be fantastic. I'm not holding my breath, but then again ask any of us 5 years ago if we thought Lexus would be ever be fielding two different coupes.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
BMW has 4 coupes, 2 Series, 4 Series, 8 Series and i8. Mercedes has 8 coupes. I think Lexus can bring in a third coupe, convertibles and 4 door coupes. C'mon Lexus bring on an onslaught of new models and variants!!! You can do it...

Reactions
BMW has 4 coupes, 2 Series, 4 Series, 8 Series and i8. Mercedes has 8 coupes. I think Lexus can bring in a third coupe, convertibles and 4 door coupes. C'mon Lexus bring on an onslaught of new models and variants!!! You can do it...

But using Lexus' logic, that would mean it is "eating sales" from other cars. These guys have nothing sorted lmao. Is anything going to be coming out next year (2020)? This year was just the RC F Track Edition, and the LC Convertible (not counting refreshes).

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Honestly if the Supra is built for 718 , the next SC need to be build for 911 , then the next GS needs to be build for AMG GT4 not for the CLS

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
But using Lexus' logic, that would mean it is "eating sales" from other cars. These guys have nothing sorted lmao. Is anything going to be coming out next year (2020)? This year was just the RC F Track Edition, and the LC Convertible (not counting refreshes).
maybe the LCF

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
i have a feeling this might be true. a coupe with the LS engine and yamaha tuning might just be toyota answer to the supra is not a toyota cry babies. Calling it an SC might be the icing on the cake.

rc-f next gen 3.5tt (most powerful RC you can get 450- 475 hp)
SCxxx (entery level tuned just a little bit under the RC F 416 - 435hp) SCF ( 500 - 525hp)
next LC gets detuned TTV8 and LCF gets its standard higher output TTV8

let me wake up now...

mikeavelli

Reactions
Also go against the grain. Bring a full coupe hybrid lineup. We have the LCh, bring a RCh and then SCh or whatever. Make one electric.

Unfortunately it likely is an uphill battle as RC sales have plummeted and the LC never hit targets :(... The harsh reality of things.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
@mikeavelli , LEXUS now knows well that the FR coupe either 2 seaters or GT are the main pass code to be tier 1 luxury automaker, and they may ever increase that as opposed to FR sedan decreasing , the problem is not by the number of models or the number of sales, the problem is not enough power to compete on paper with their normal competitors

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
i have a feeling this might be true. a coupe with the LS engine and yamaha tuning might just be toyota answer to the supra is not a toyota cry babies. Calling it an SC might be the icing on the cake.

Back then the SC 300 was the Lexus version of the Supra sporting the 2JZ-GE motor and was also heavier. Hopefully Lexus will bring back the SC since Toyota did bring back the Supra...

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
@Trexus , Toyota honestly needs to resurrect back the Altezza as the current Supra 4drs, they need to resurrect the Soarer and resurrect the Cressida / Mark also as the Soarer 4 drs, I can go far to say *they need to resurrect the chaser / Caresta,
*they need to resurrect the MR, the Celica, the AE86 as a hot hatch as it's origin,
*they need to resurrect the 4Runner as the true 70s - 00s 4Runners not as the current bloated one,
*they need to resurrect the Venza or make the next generation Harrier as international model to slot between Highlander and RAV4 "the category which they still pretending it's not here",
*they need the Solara with AWD also offer the mid Camry and the full Avalon with AWD as option in the first and as standard in the second,
*they need to resurrect the SC as 911 competitor and part it away from Soarer,
*they need to resurrect the GS as 4drs performance coupe
*they need to collect all the BOF under a unique brand let'em name it LandCruiser brand
*they need to be hurry building the LQ / GQ
*they need the next generation NX to be RWD not RAV4 FWD and market it with slogan the IS CUV
*they need to move the ES to Toyota under name Windom as before and give it the long waited AWD also
*they need to benefit from there own off road heritage in the newly be made LandCruiser brand
*they need Initial build Quality and fit / finish as the Germans in both Toyota and Lexus especially the shaky centers

Last edited:

Airplane

Fan
Reactions
@Trexus , Toyota honestly needs to resurrect back the Altezza as the current Supra 4drs, they need to resurrect the Soarer and resurrect the Cressida / Mark also as the Soarer 4 drs, I can go far to say *they need to resurrect the chaser / Caresta,
*they need to resurrect the MR, the Celica, the AE86 as a hot hatch as it's origin,
*they need to resurrect the 4Runner as the true 70s - 00s 4Runners not as the current bloated one,
*they need to resurrect the Venza or make the next generation Harrier as international model to slot between Highlander and RAV4 "the category which they still pretending it's not here",
*they need the Solara with AWD also offer the mid Camry and the full Avalon with AWD as option in the first and as standard in the second,
*they need to resurrect the SC as 911 competitor and part it away from Soarer,
*they need to resurrect the GS as 4drs performance coupe
*they need to collect all the BOF under a unique brand let'em name it LandCruiser brand
*they need to be hurry building the LQ / GQ
*they need the next generation NX to be RWD not RAV4 FWD and market it with slogan the IS CUV
*they need to move the ES to Toyota under name Windom as before and give it the long waited AWD also
*they need to benefit from there own off road heritage in the newly be made LandCruiser brand
*they need Initial build Quality and fit / finish as the Germans in both Toyota and Lexus especially the shaky centers
Then go bnkrupt because they can't sell any of those "enthusiasts" cars.