4th Generation Toyota Highlander (and Grand Highlander) Thread

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
This maybe evolutionary but it is very nice. I liked the previous gen and this one just freshens it nicely. Interior is much improved in my opinion. Will be interesting to see what it looks like with the 8 inch screen on non Platinum models.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Great piece from Autoblog that answers some of the questions we've been asking here:

The 2020 Toyota Highlander has debuted at the New York Auto Show, and we've had our first look at what is largely an evolution of this highly successful mid-size, three-row crossover. Although checking it out in person answered some of our questions, we got a chance to interview the Highlander's chief engineer Yoshikazu Saeki about the rest.

Here are five questions we asked and had answered here in New York about the all-new Highlander.

Question: The new 2020 Highlander is only a bit bigger than the outgoing model, and remains one of the smallest three-row mid-size crossovers. Why hasn't it followed the size trend of most rivals?

Answer: According to Saeki, he had a choice of two directions with the new Highlander. He could have indeed made it bigger, matching many of its competitors, especially in terms of third-row and cargo space. Or, he could have maintained the smaller-than-average size it currently was. He obviously chose the latter. First, it was the size customers had come to expect. Would they be put off by something bigger? If customer loyalty has remained strong, it seems safe to deduce that the current size is right for many. Second, by maintaining that smaller-than-average size, the Highlander also maintains a point of differentiation with its competitors. After all, Saeki-san points out, the goal is to create vehicles that stand out and are different from everything else.

Question: Yoshikazu Saeki was chief engineer for both the 2019 Toyota RAV4 and the new Highlander, which utilize the same TNGA-K platform. Besides their obvious size differences, how are the two fundamentally different?

Answer: Saeki says that the goal of the RAV4 was also to create something different than the segment norm. However, in that case, it went in a completely new direction than the previous RAV4 to achieve it. He says he "deconstructed" the RAV4, moving from a more car-like direction to one that's sportier and/or more SUV-like. We go into that more in our 2019 Toyota RAV4 first drive.

By contrast, the new Highlander continues to have a strong emphasis on comfort, reduced NVH and a creating a premium feel. The goal was to instill a sense of safety and assurance with customers, 48 percent of which are female who mostly likely have family members riding with them. Something sportier and SUV-like are therefore not priorities. In that way, the new Highlander is indeed consistent with the segment norm, which certainly seems smart. Again, that smaller size is where the differentiation comes come.

Question: Unlike most new Toyotas, there are no sporty SE or XSE trim levels. Why?

Answer: Saeki thinks that the tuning of the Highlander is pretty much up to an SE trim level already. That largely comes from the TNGA-K platform. Just by using it, handling and the general fun-to-drive factor have inherently been improved, just as it has been in every Toyota that has utilized it. According to Saeki, it comes from a more linear throttle response (the current Highlander's is annoyingly delayed), as well as substantially improved structural and suspension stiffness. Steering tuning has also been improved, while a new Sport driving mode increases effort slightly as it does in the Avalon.

Honestly, the previous Highlander SE (pictured above) was about as mild of a sport trim level as you could get. It was almost just an appearance package. That Toyota chose not to offer a version for 2020 isn't surprising, but Saeki says that if the market starts to demand sportier entries in the segment, it would certainly be possible to do.

One should note that there isn't a RAV4 SE, either. There is an XSE Hybrid, but as Saeki explained to us during the RAV4 launch, that model was as much intended to help change the perception of hybrids. The RAV4 Hybrid is also the most powerful version, which is at least in keeping with a sporty entry. By contrast, the Highlander Hybrid has less power (240 horsepower) than the V6 version (295 hp).

Question: There's a RAV4 Adventure (pictured above). Will we see a Toyota Highlander Adventure?

Answer: Never say never, but for Saeki, the off-road-oriented Adventure trim was the ultimate expression of an overall attempt to make the RAV4 more SUV-like. Since that wasn't the goal with Highlander, it just didn't make sense to do so. We should also note that Toyota sells the 4Runner for pretty much the same people who might be interested in a more off-road-oriented mid-size SUV.

Question: It was announced that the Highlander Hybrid will achieve 34 mpg combined, versus the outgoing version's 28 or 29 mpg combined. Does that estimate apply to every 2020 Highlander Hybrid?

Answer: The 34 mpg combined estimate is for the front-wheel-drive Hybrid LE trim level. With all-wheel drive it goes down to 33 mpg combined. Upper trim levels will also lower it, but Saeki says not by much. We'd suspect a 1 mpg drop as was the case previously.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/17/5-questions-2020-toyota-highlander/

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Honestly I agree with him that profile wise it maybe catastrophic to complete alienation for all the lineup agree that the RAV4 shall get thet offroader sports DNA, Highlander shall get the comfort luxury, now we are missing the inroad sports lux. which I believe we shall see it with the international version of the next generation Harrier, if they didn't sell the Harrier internationally

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Great piece from Autoblog that answers some of the questions we've been asking here

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/17/5-questions-2020-toyota-highlander/

Ha ha, you beat me at posting this. I saw it earlier and meant to post it here, but had to go run some errands first.

Great, informative piece is right. For me, the biggest surprise is that a U.S.-centric product such as Highlander has a Japanese chief engineer and not one of the trio of Americans that have achieved that lofty rank within Toyota: Mike Sweers, Randy Stephens and Greg Bernas. Bernas (chief engineer for the Venza) would've been a natural, since Sweers is probably tied up dealing with the next Tundra and Stephens just launched the latest Avalon last year. Then again, another strongly U.S.-centric Toyota, the Sienna minivan, has always had Japanese chief engineers.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
wow
That red one, I can really 100% take it over the RX anyday, unless finally the RX become more perfect than this amazing car

Reactions
I bet the next gen sienna gets this four cylinder hybrid engine. I’m still disappointed that continue with the Gr v6. Was expecting a new engine.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
So they decided the Highlander should be smaller than the competition, does that mean they have something bigger in the works? After all you will never have too many SUVs in the lineup these days...maybe this time they will finally take the Sequoia more seriously.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I figured out what that swooping character line on the side reminds me of:

2012-toyota-highlander-hybrid-limited-suv-side-view.png

In some ways, Gen 4 highlander is a good mix of Gen 2 and Gen 3.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Regardless of what they think, I believe SE, XSE and Adventure models could all be great additions to the Highlander lineup. TRD Sport also.

Hell, Camry XSE in testing has shown no real tangible improvement over the other trims, and yet it's wildly popular.

Toyota is selling themselves short here, IMO. Especially with a next gen 4Runner some 3.5 years away...

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
So they decided the Highlander should be smaller than the competition, does that mean they have something bigger in the works? After all you will never have too many SUVs in the lineup these days...maybe this time they will finally take the Sequoia more seriously.

There is Sequia in the US...

And this also means Highlander is going to more markets worldwide.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

hah... so here is the thing, in usual TMC fashion, pics don't give it justice.. it looks good in these high quality videos.

I hope they eventually do SE because more aggressive grille would make it even nicer (and remove that Subaru mustache).

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Now we are waiting either Venza/Harrier type of mid sporty SUV or we are waiting for the next generation Sienna, either will be fine

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Now we are waiting either Venza/Harrier type of mid sporty SUV or we are waiting for the next generation Sienna, either will be fine

I wish we had a timeline for that. I will be car shopping at the end of the year, and this vehicle sounds appealing in theory.

Motor

Expert
Reactions
7 Things to Know About the 2020 Toyota Highlander
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020-toyota-highlander-facts-things-know/
Get to know Toyota's redesigned three-row crossover

It's not just for families
Typically, three-row crossovers are thought of as minivan replacements for families that don't want to admit they need a minivan. But this time around, Toyota says it wanted to design the Highlander to appeal to more than just families. Empty-nesters and young, active buyers are now included in the demographics Toyota plans to target. That's why the Highlander has dropped its utilitarian styling in favor of a sleeker, sportier look.

Camry DNA
In addition to its new sheetmetal, the biggest news about the 2020 Highlander is that it's now built using Toyota's latest TNGA flexible architecture. So even though you wouldn't realize it at first glance, the Prius, C-HR, Corolla, RAV4, Camry, and Avalon are all built using the same architecture. The advantage of TNGA is that it reduces complexity, production costs, and most importantly, weight. The result is increased fuel efficiency, better handling, and improved ride quality.

Getting bigger
The third-generation Highlander was already pretty big, but measured against competitors such as the Honda Pilot, it was actually a little small. For 2020, the Highlander has grown, adding 2.4 inches in overall length. Toyota says the added length benefits the cargo area, making the Highlander a more practical hauler for your stuff. And while it's not actually any taller than before, the new Highlander has gotten wider, which should make the cabin more comfortable for passengers.

Pick your powertrain
The 2020 Highlander will be offered with two engine options. The first is a 3.5-liter V-6 that's paired with an eight-speed automatic and carries over from the 2019 model. It's good for 295 hp and 263 lb-ft of torque. With the optional all-wheel-drive system equipped, Toyota says the V-6 should still deliver 21/27/23 mpg city/highway/combined. The second option is a hybrid powertrain that combines a 2.5-liter four-cylinder with an electric motor and a CVT to make 240 hp. At least initially, the hybrid will only be offered with front-wheel drive to reduce cost and maximize fuel efficiency.

Tech update
If there's one thing the Toyota Highlander needed, it was a tech-feature makeover. For 2020, Toyota delivered. The Highlander finally offers support for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, and even though an 8.0-inch touchscreen is still standard, an optional 12.3-inch touchscreen is also available. There are also three USB ports up front, a digital rearview mirror, two USB ports in the second row, and plenty of optional comfort features such as heated second-row seats.

Safety standard
Even though most mainstream automakers offer advanced driver-assist and safety features on their vehicles these days, Toyota is one of the few that makes them standard. So as with the Corolla and RAV4, even if you buy a base-model Highlander, it will come with blind spot monitoring, rear cross-traffic alert, automatic emergency braking with pedestrian detection, and adaptive cruise control with steering assist. Additional features such as a surround-view camera system are offered on higher trim levels.

It arrives the end of this year
Consumers will have to wait a little while to get their hands on a 2020 Highlander. Deliveries of the V-6 model should begin in December of this year, with the hybrid following a few months later in early 2020. Expect pricing to be announced closer to the Highlander's on-sale date.

If the upcoming RX mid-cycle refresh isn't to my liking, I just may replace my first gen RX with this.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I wish we had a timeline for that. I will be car shopping at the end of the year, and this vehicle sounds appealing in theory.
How would you feel if the Venza successor or North American Harrier weren't a Toyota per se, but a rebadged Mazda in the vein of the North American Yaris? The initial and followup news releases on the upcoming Mazda Toyota Manufacturing U.S.A. assembly plant in Huntsville, Alabama cites a "Mazda crossover model that will be newly introduced to the North American market" starting in 2021.

A WardsAuto article or two suggests that this will mark the return of the Mazda CX-7 as a crossover filling the size and price gap between CX-5 and CX-9. More importantly, both of those articles insist that there will be a Toyota-badged version of this as well. Those articles describe it as "an urban-oriented midsize CUV off the next-generation Mazda CX-7 platform to go into production in 2022 and be sold in Toyota showrooms alongside the midsize RAV4 CUV, whose fifth generation has a more rugged, traditional SUV-like appearance". Might this be the vehicle destined to use the trademarked-for-USA Harrier badge?

I had been fervently hoping that Mazda's 2019 New York Auto Show press conference would unveil a near-production concept predictor for this revived CX-7. Instead, all we got is the near-pointless Mazda CX-5 Diesel. Nonetheless, I'm expecting such a concept CX-7 to appear at one of the fall 2019 or 2020 auto shows.