4th Generation Toyota Highlander (and Grand Highlander) Thread

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
I am also excited to see the details on the new hybrid... a 4cyl hybrid + a 6 cyl hybrid would be great options to serve most global markets. The Rav4 AWD hybrid already has 220hp now which is probably plenty for most people. If Toyota could shave ~300lbs off Highlander, 220hp would be decent in a 4k lb SUV for people who are MPG-conscious.

I am also curious if they would combine turbo 4 + hybrid system? I hope Toyota releases most of the specs in New York so we dont have to wait for details on additional models, powertrains, trims, etc.
This probably should belong to future powertrain thread but: if they would combine diesel T or gasoline T to hybrid system do they need to abandon atkinson cycle? Okay diesel atkinson probably won't work cause it would be too much underpowered.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Toyota should try to make a Fj cruiser successor as a true Jeep Wrangler and ford bronco competitor. That will be really nice to see.

Agree... the time is definitely NOW for such a vehicle.

Back to the Highlander :)

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
This probably should belong to future powertrain thread but: if they would combine diesel T or gasoline T to hybrid system do they need to abandon atkinson cycle? Okay diesel atkinson probably won't work cause it would be too much underpowered.

Definitely beyond my technical expertise, but someone like @ssun30 might be able to answer!

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
If I am correct Atkinson cycle keeps valves open for short time when piston comes up and releases air fuel mix so the remaining could burn more efficiently so turbo might nor be good idea. Skyactiv-X plus electric motor would be killer. It's possible since Toyota owns piece of Mazda.

Reactions
Toyota should try to make a Fj cruiser successor as a true Jeep Wrangler and ford bronco competitor. That will be really nice to see.

Not sure how you'll feel about this, but Google Image; Toyota FT-4X.

I love it... and I thought "they'll never make anything like this"... meanwhile if you look at a new Rav4 "Adventure"... you'll see the exact hatch-pattern in the seats, as well as in the ORANGE details in a couple parts of the interior, in the same pattern. That kinda' made me feel like they JUST MIGHT do it!

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I am also curious if they would combine turbo 4 + hybrid system? I hope Toyota releases most of the specs in New York so we dont have to wait for details on additional models, powertrains, trims, etc.

A turbo 4 hybrid makes sense from a market segmentation perspective; a 2.0T hybrid could be configured to make 250hp or 350hp so they could fill two segments with just one system. However technically it doesn't make a lot of sense since turbocharged engines have low peak efficiency and will always lose to a NA engine in a hybrid system.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Honestly I prefer the TJ concept to take the role of the FJ, the TJ has a word offroader written in every design aspect on it

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Honestly I prefer the TJ concept to take the role of the FJ, the TJ has a word offroader written in every design aspect on it

This van?

Toyota-TJ-Cruiser-concept-side-profile.jpg

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
^^^
Yes my friend
I hope if they didn't make it as the FJ at least they make it the base design language for Hilux, Fortuner, Innova trio

As all BOF from now on will share one TNGA architecture , they need to differ a 5 midsize BOF SUVs they have "Fortuner, Innova, 4Runner, Prado, GX" must be separated someway or another from each other or Toyota shall face the option to delete part of them

So if they designed theFortuner / Innova as rugged SUV, the Prado as inroad sport from the luxury GX and the 4 Runner is the stylish
Then we will have a unique non intersected midsize SUV

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
2020-toyota-highlander-1.jpg

As previously mentioned, the Toyota Highlander Hybrid returns, and like its fellow TNGA platform mates, its hybrid powertrain is new. It features a 2.5-liter four-cylinder that teams with a pair of electric motors to generate electricity and power the front wheels. All-wheel-drive Highlander Hybrids gain a third motor at the rear axle. Total system output is 240 horsepower (same as the Avalon and more than the RAV4), while Toyota estimates it will achieve 34 mpg combined. That's up from 28 mpg combined previously. The V6-powered 2020 Highlander is estimated to achieve 22 mpg in combined driving, presumably with front-wheel drive. That's average for the segment.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/17...aled-new-york-auto-show-dkfl36v/#slide-endcap

If I recall correctly, Avalon hybrid makes 215 and Rav4 hybrid AWD makes 219, so Highlander is getting a healthy boost from somewhere with 240.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I'm a little surprised by how much it looks like a refresh of the 2014-2016 Highlander. Even the interior looks very similar overall. I'd heard this was going to be evolutionary, but it's perhaps even a little more evolutionary than I expected.

No SE or XSE trim.

No more 4cylinder gas engine. V6 is detuned compared to Camry and Avalon.

12.3" screen on Platinum.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
It's step up evolution in every aspect except the center console!!!

It's not that bad it's just the current is more luxurious for my taste

Also the front has good lines from MK2 pre facelift

Reactions
Looks all right. Disappointed in no Gr V6 dynamic engine replacement. Also sad that the hybrid got weaker. I wonder when the dynamic force engine replacement for the Gr V6 will appear.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
Any chance coming to Western Europe? Japanese newsroom statement said they are expanding available markets with this new generation model.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I'm a little surprised by how much it looks like a refresh of the 2014-2016 Highlander. Even the interior looks very similar overall. I'd heard this was going to be evolutionary, but it's perhaps even a little more evolutionary than I expected.
My thoughts exactly. Aesthetically, most Toyotas transitioning to TNGA platforms have been a clean break from their immediate predecessors, but this one and the Corolla sedan are the 2 exceptions that look almost like major refreshes as opposed to all-new. Especially this Highlander.

No SE or XSE trim.
That's disappointing. Perhaps they'll come back in a future model year? Then again, it appears that SE take rate for Highlander is lower than for other Toyota models, at least judging by how few I've seen in the wild.

V6 is detuned compared to Camry and Avalon.
I'd say retuned is more like it. Since the 2GR V6's transition to FKS (if not earlier), crossover and minivan applications are tuned for lower horsepower but higher low-end torque than their sedan counterparts.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
And now the all time choice time
Why for God sake Toyota insisted and keep insisting to make there cars much better than Lexus ones

19' Highlander Vs 19' RX
20' Highlander Vs 20' RX
17' RAV4 Vs 17' NX
20' RAV4 Vs 20' NX
19' Avalon Vs 19' ES

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
And now the all time choice time
Why for God sake Toyota insisted and keep insisting to make there cars much better than Lexus ones

19' Highlander Vs 19' RX
20' Highlander Vs 20' RX
17' RAV4 Vs 17' NX
20' RAV4 Vs 20' NX
19' Avalon Vs 19' ES

I would not personally spend the premium for a Lexus product over its Toyota counterpart - LS, LC and GS F exempt from that because they have no Toyota equal. Most of Toyota's lineup is now on TNGA-K, has CarPlay, Android Auto, Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD, beautiful interiors, nice exteriors, etc. Part of that is the function of product planning, but I remain puzzled about why all of the innovative "firsts" are rolling out for Toyota first and Lexus later.

Hell, Highlander Platinum has a saddle quilted leather interior and 12.3" screen.

57262830_10105016388279697_8125491929715572736_o.jpg

57244751_10105016388264727_4786032098320318464_o.jpg

It's like Toyota is on the all star team right now and Lexus is in the farm league. I just don't understand the product planning decisions, but hopefully once NX and RX move to TNGA, they will see even larger leaps forward than what we're expecting. With Rav4 and Highlander being this good, imagine how amazing RX and NX could be.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I would not personally spend the premium for a Lexus product over its Toyota counterpart - LS, LC and GS F exempt from that because they have no Toyota equal. Most of Toyota's lineup is now on TNGA-K, has CarPlay, Android Auto, Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD, beautiful interiors, nice exteriors, etc. Part of that is the function of product planning, but I remain puzzled about why all of the innovative "firsts" are rolling out for Toyota first and Lexus later.

Hell, Highlander Platinum has a saddle quilted leather interior and 12.3" screen.

57262830_10105016388279697_8125491929715572736_o.jpg

57244751_10105016388264727_4786032098320318464_o.jpg

It's like Toyota is on the all star team right now and Lexus is in the farm league. I just don't understand the product planning decisions, but hopefully once NX and RX move to TNGA, they will see even larger leaps forward than what we're expecting. With Rav4 and Highlander being this good, imagine how amazing RX and NX could be.

You said everything I want to say
Honestly even the century is better than the LS and the Crown is better than GS

For God sake even the Land Cruiser/ Prado is much better than LX/GX

The current Highlander is really already better than RX so by this new Highlander is another step forward from this current RX

As we see new Avalon Vs new ES
I like the Avalon way more than the ES