What Should be the First Lexus F Brand Crossover/SUV?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Poll: What Should be the First Lexus F Brand Crossover/SUV?

18-09-19-lexus-first-f-crossover.jpg

Cast your vote, decide the future.
View the original article post

Reactions: Den

James

Founding Member
Reactions
I voted for NXF but honestly any of them and like we are so over due on this!!! Every single one should! NX had the original aggressive SUV sporty look and I love my wife’s NX but man it needs more power to go with the look!

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
My vote would be NX F or LF-1... F. Not sure which would come first based on timing. I voted for LF-1 in the poll.

If the new Rav4 is any indication, NX moving to TNGA-K with DTV AWD opens up a lot of possibilities. That's a nice sized vehicle that would be a lot of fun to drive in theory.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
My vote would be NX F or LF-1... F. Not sure which would come first based on timing. I voted for LF-1 in the poll.

If the new Rav4 is any indication, NX moving to TNGA-K with DTV AWD opens up a lot of possibilities. That's a nice sized vehicle that would be a lot of fun to drive in theory.

sure, i agree... but I voted for UX.

However, if UX comes with that new 1.6l 3cly turbo and 250ps, I will like it a lot... does not have to be F at all... maybe they will make another moniker for vehicles not there yet.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Honestly, personally I dont care about F. It makes no sense for me here in EU.

But, I do want them to offer sportier versions with larger engines... so like UX F-Sport but 300h instead of 250h, or NX500/500h, etc.

They seem to be going this way, at least with Toyota brand.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
With the market shift to SUVs, F is going to need to take on some extra ground clearance and come up with a performance AWD system. We have GLC 43, GLE 43, GLC 63, GLE 63, Macan turbo, Macan GTS, Cayenne turbo, Cayenne GTS, SQ5, X3 M, X5 M, X4 M, X6 M, SQ7, etc. etc.

Even Acura is on the verge of TT V6 with SH-AWD in MDX and other vehicles.

This is simply the future, so Lexus needs to have a plan sooner rather than later.

Good news is with TNGA philosophy and some of their new hardware, I think they can do this without much problem.

Based on what we know, Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD is actually superior to the AWD system Lexus uses in new LS 500, so that bodes well for the future of things like NX, RX and ES.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Honestly, personally I dont care about F. It makes no sense for me here in EU.

But, I do want them to offer sportier versions with larger engines... so like UX F-Sport but 300h instead of 250h, or NX500/500h, etc.

They seem to be going this way, at least with Toyota brand.

The most powerful UX in the near future could be the UX EV. Nice thing about EV is that they accelerate fast because of the torque curve, stop fast because of kinetic energy recovery, corner fast because of high body rigidity and low CoG, and these all come naturally with a big battery pack. While I don't think a EV would qualify as an F model, it will certainly fill the performance niche if the platform does not allow a full-fledged F model.

That being said, the UX EV is likely to be identical to the C-HR EV. Preliminary specs are a 60 kWh pack (with industry trailing stats, sigh) mated to a 143 kW motor. The new motor is their most advanced model ever developed and will be the workhorse for Toyota EVs in the near future. 143 kW won't make the UX a rocket but in urban traffic it will be quite a beast.

RAL

Reactions
I voted for the LF-1 Limitless, but a redesigned NX F would not be so far in the distant future.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The most powerful UX in the near future could be the UX EV. Nice thing about EV is that they accelerate fast because of the torque curve, stop fast because of kinetic energy recovery, corner fast because of high body rigidity and low CoG, and these all come naturally with a big battery pack. While I don't think a EV would qualify as an F model, it will certainly fill the performance niche if the platform does not allow a full-fledged F model.

That being said, the UX EV is likely to be identical to the C-HR EV. Preliminary specs are a 60 kWh pack (with industry trailing stats, sigh) mated to a 143 kW motor. The new motor is their most advanced model ever developed and will be the workhorse for Toyota EVs in the near future. 143 kW won't make the UX a rocket but in urban traffic it will be quite a beast.

too bad i have nowhere to charge that EV :)

As to the 60kwh and 143kw, seems like it is becoming standard for small cars. Should be under 7s to 100? But it depends on how it is tuned.

TheNerdyPotato

Follower
Reactions
I voted for NX, as well. It just seems like the right-sized platform for a performance version. The RX is far too large, and the UX is probably too small to accommodate a really beefy powertrain. LF seems like a great option, but it's not out yet.

LX and GX are their own special can of worms. The BOF SUVs would naturally lead themselves to a hardcore offroad performance package, similar to the TRD Pro trucks in Toyota's lineup. However, I think that an "onroad" performance version would suit the Lexus brand better, even though that's not really what the chassis was designed for. I dunno. I can't think of anyone in the US who would actually take a $100,000+ luxury SUV tearing through the hills, forests, and mud.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
too bad i have nowhere to charge that EV :)

As to the 60kwh and 143kw, seems like it is becoming standard for small cars. Should be under 7s to 100? But it depends on how it is tuned.

If the 'industry trailing' part was true the pack itself is likely to weigh 500kg which will push the UX to probably 1,800kg. That combined with about 190hp will likely result in a low-8s acceleration. So yeah, it won't be that much faster than a UX250h. But the difference in launch and overtaking should be quite significant.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
I voted RX because it is the most populated performance SUV segment with the X5 M, GLE63, Cayenne Turbo, Trackhawk, etc. A smash debut in this segment would be good if it impresses because it is the segment with the most competitors.

But let's not forget, Lexus must first develop a proper AWD system that is performance worthy and capable of variable power ratios to the front and back, like 4MATIC, xDrive and Quattro from competitors. Without a system like this, Lexus cannot make a performance SUV with the current front-biased AWD systems in their crossovers.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
First off, I'm personally taking Chika Kako's denials of a UX F with a grain of salt. After all, the IS F was something of a renegade, skunkworks effort on a limited budget led by chief engineer Yukihiko Yaguchi. Or maybe it's just my fantasy of a UX F with a 2.4-2.5-liter turbo engine coupled with an iMT (Intelligent Manual Transmission) getting the better of me.

Outside of the UX, any F brand crossover would need to be a next-generation model.
This is a given, so perhaps it would be helpful to lay out the launch schedule of Lexus' next-gen crossovers and SUVs, based on information previously posted on our forums by Carmaker1:

3rd/4th quarter 2020 (2021 Model Year)
NX
LF-1 Limitless production version (possibly badged LQ or LM)
LX

Late 2021 (2022 Model Year)
RX

2023 Model Year
GX

Bottom line: Although I'd say UX, NX and LF1/LM/LQ have a roughly equal chance of being the first F crossover, if I had to choose only one, It'd be LF-1 Production Model.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Early results have the LF-1 far ahead of everything else, with 40% of votes. This is a testament to how well-informed Lexus enthusiasts are, as the LF-1 is the most likely choice.

In my mind, though, the UX is the single best opportunity so far to introduce a F-brand crossover -- it's the first in the lineup to be riding on a new TGNA platform, reviews indicate that the driving dynamics have potential, and most importantly, the engine choices are anemic and the UX has debuted to little enthusiasm. There's also something charming about a tiny vehicle with big horsepower (see the new Mercedes AMG A-Class as an example).

LX and GX are their own special can of worms. The BOF SUVs would naturally lead themselves to a hardcore offroad performance package, similar to the TRD Pro trucks in Toyota's lineup. However, I think that an "onroad" performance version would suit the Lexus brand better, even though that's not really what the chassis was designed for. I dunno. I can't think of anyone in the US who would actually take a $100,000+ luxury SUV tearing through the hills, forests, and mud.

This is an interesting take, especially when I bet 50% of TRD Pro owners don't take their vehicles off-road either. TRD Pro is pretty amazing even as an appearance package, though I imagine that sounds sacrilegious to some. One issue is the spindle grille -- the bottom half of the LX front-end would be ripped off in no time at all.

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
Early results have the LF-1 far ahead of everything else, with 40% of votes. This is a testament to how well-informed Lexus enthusiasts are, as the LF-1 is the most likely choice.

I voted for the LF-1 thinking Lexus could introduce something as good as (or better than) the new ultra luxury/performance crossovers like those from Maserati and Lamborghini etc. at a much lower price. IMO it would be a great follow up to an LC F!

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I voted for the LF-1 thinking Lexus could introduce something as good as (or better than) the new ultra luxury/performance crossovers like those from Maserati and Lamborghini etc. at a much lower price. IMO it would be a great follow up to an LC F!

LF-1 has a real chance... just like LC and LS now.